Clogged Ear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Clogged Ear
Anyone know a good homemade remedy to clear up a clogged ear? Would like to know because my right ear is pretty clogged and it's hard to hear with only 1 working ear haha

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2014, 05:16 AM
RE: Clogged Ear
(27-04-2014 05:01 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anyone know a good homemade remedy to clear up a clogged ear? Would like to know because my right ear is pretty clogged and it's hard to hear with only 1 working ear haha

I assume you have already tried equalising.

So, tell the good not-doctor; what is the nature of the blockage? Water (or another liquid)?
Anything else you can say aside from 'blocked and can't hear properly'?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-04-2014, 05:22 AM
(27-04-2014 05:16 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:01 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anyone know a good homemade remedy to clear up a clogged ear? Would like to know because my right ear is pretty clogged and it's hard to hear with only 1 working ear haha

I assume you have already tried equalising.

So, tell the good not-doctor; what is the nature of the blockage? Water (or another liquid)?

Equalising? and Wax.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-04-2014, 05:31 AM
(27-04-2014 05:22 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:16 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I assume you have already tried equalising.

Equalising? and Wax.

Equalising, ear clearing, or 'ear popping' is exactly what is says on the tin; you clear and equalise the ears.
The easiest way to do this is to pinch your nose and blow; this should push air through the tubes connecting your ears to your throat (close enough regionally), causing your ears to clear and 'equalise'. This is known to relieve blocked feelings and discomfort in the ears, but is also known in some people to cause pain and discomfort. I suggest trying it if you haven't all ready but don't try to force it.

If you have wax blocking up your ear and the above doesn't help, I say go to your GP; you should be able to get ear drops which will clear away the blockage and minimise the risk of infection.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-04-2014, 05:35 AM
(27-04-2014 05:31 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:22 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Equalising? and Wax.

Equalising, ear clearing, or 'ear popping' is exactly what is says on the tin; you clear and equalise the ears.
The easiest way to do this is to pinch your nose and blow; this should push air through the tubes connecting your ears to your throat (close enough regionally), causing your ears to clear and 'equalise'. This is known to relieve blocked feelings and discomfort in the ears, but is also known in some people to cause pain and discomfort. I suggest trying it if you haven't all ready but don't try to force it.

If you have wax blocking up your ear and the above doesn't help, I say go to your GP; you should be able to get ear drops which will clear away the blockage and minimise the risk of infection.

Hate those words "Go to the doctor". I can never get that whole popping your ears thing to work no matter how much I try, must be doing it wrong.

27-04-2014, 05:58 AM
(27-04-2014 05:35 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:31 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Equalising, ear clearing, or 'ear popping' is exactly what is says on the tin; you clear and equalise the ears.

Hate those words "Go to the doctor".

Well it is the most reasonable thing to me; when an ear becomes blocked it is as I understand it, all the more susceptible to infection. That is of course assuming that the canal is not already infected, causing the block in the first place.
And I speak for Captain Obvious when I say; You do not want to get an ear infection. Not only are then not fun, the can also easily become double or even triple whammies as they can move down into the throat and infect things like the larynx or tonsils (which I learned the hard way).

(27-04-2014 05:35 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I can never get that whole popping your ears thing to work no matter how much I try, must be doing it wrong.

Some people just can't do that sort of stuff; don't ask me why that is, I don't have a clue.

27-04-2014, 06:06 AM
(27-04-2014 05:58 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well it is the most reasonable thing to me; when an ear becomes blocked it is as I understand it, all the more susceptible to infection. That is of course assuming that the canal is not already infected, causing the block in the first place.
And I speak for Captain Obvious when I say; You do not want to get an ear infection. Not only are then not fun, the can also easily become double or even triple whammies as they can move down into the throat and infect things like the larynx or tonsils (which I learned the hard way).

Nah, I caused the block trying to clean out my ear with a toothpick (I know your not supposed to do that)

27-04-2014, 06:10 AM
(27-04-2014 06:06 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:58 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well it is the most reasonable thing to me; when an ear becomes blocked it is as I understand it, all the more susceptible to infection. That is of course assuming that the canal is not already infected, causing the block in the first place.

Nah, I caused the block trying to clean out my ear with a toothpick (I know your not supposed to do that)

Facepalm Oy vey.

Well, I can't talk, I do it very often...

Maybe you should check with a chemist/pharmacist. They ought to have something to clear the blockage away.

27-04-2014, 06:12 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014 06:33 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Easy. But be careful. If you have an eye-dropper use it to instill equal parts water ( a few drops) and hydrogen peroxide mixed together -- (you can get a bottle of it for about 2 bucks in pharmacy) into your ear. Lay down with the plugged side up, so it gets all the way in. You will feel the H2O2 working ("bubbling" as it breaks the wax bonds), for a couple minutes. It tickles, but doesn't hurt. H2O2 (peroxide) is what some docs use in the office or the ER. You can titrate the strength up to what you need, (I just use plain H2O2, but I've done it a number of times, and know it's not going to hurt me.) If you have a little ear "bulb" like they use for babies you can "pressure wash" it out, or just let it run out. I twist up the softest type of Kleenex and stick it in, (you're not supposed to do this, but I watched an ER MD do it a few times), to soak up the excess junk when the bubbling stops. If there's a lot of wax, it can take a few treatments/irrigations.

If it doesn't work you should be able to call one of the nurse lines, (like CVX Pharmacy or whatever it's called) and they can prescribe the "drops" .. over the phone with no visit. If your ear hurts though, it's infected, and you need to be seen by somebody.

Just remember, you were "intelligently designed" Weeping

(That'll be $50.00) Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2014, 06:40 AM
(27-04-2014 06:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 06:06 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Nah, I caused the block trying to clean out my ear with a toothpick (I know your not supposed to do that)

Facepalm Oy vey.

Well, I can't talk, I do it very often...

Maybe you should check with a chemist/pharmacist. They ought to have something to clear the blockage away.

Because I have a chemist/pharmacist on speed dial lol

(27-04-2014 06:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Easy. But be careful. If you have an eye-dropper use it to instill equal parts water ( a few drops) and hydrogen peroxide mixed together -- (you can get a bottle of it for about 2 bucks in pharmacy) into your ear. Lay down with the plugged side up, so it gets all the way in. You will feel the H2O2 working ("bubbling" as it breaks the wax bonds), for a couple minutes. It tickles, but doesn't hurt. H2O2 (peroxide) is what some docs use in the office or the ER. You can titrate the strength up to what you need, (I just use plain H2O2, but I've done it a number of times, and know it's not going to hurt me.) If you have a little ear "bulb" like they use for babies you can "pressure wash" it out, or just let it run out. I twist up the softest type of Kleenex and stick it in, (you're not supposed to do this, but I watched an ER MD do it a few times), to soak up the excess junk when the bubbling stops. If there's a lot of wax, it can take a few treatments/irrigations.

If it doesn't work you should be able to call one of the nurse lines, (like CVX Pharmacy or whatever it's called) and they can prescribe the "drops" .. over the phone with no visit. If your ear hurts though, it's infected, and you need to be seen by somebody.

Just remember, you were "intelligently designed" Weeping

(That'll be $50.00) Tongue

Yeah i've been trying the whole Hydrogen Peroxide/water treatment, got some wax out but still clogged may try again later. My ear does not hurt and I don't think it's infected and wow didn't know about those nurse lines.