Closet Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Closet Atheist
I have recently accepted that I am an atheist after probably years of confusion. I am 44 years old raised Catholic but never a serious follower. Went to church as a child every Sunday because I had to, alter server and attended Sunday School. Once I left home for University I stopped going to Church other than Christmas and Easter.

As I get older I seem to be more curious about the world and thanks to the internet have been able to very quickly educate myself and am convinced that religion and the the belief in a god of any kind is ridiculous. I credit Bill Maher (Religulous movie) and his talk show, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and most recently Seth Andrews for providing the true answers to questions I now know I have been searching for all my life. I also credit my utter disgust with the Catholic Church's cover up of sexual abuse as my inspiration to investigate the validity of religion as a positive force in modern society.

Accepting that I am an atheist has opened my eyes to the world like religion never could. I suffer from anxiety and depression and find my symptoms improving every day since accepting atheism. I guess it is the proverbial "monkey off my back". I have come out to a single friend, also atheist so far but I do not know how much longer and I can hold it in to my family and others.

My wife already knows and accepts that religion is not an important part of my life but I am unsure how coming out as an atheist will go over. To make matters worse, she is a Catholic Elementary School teacher and we live in a very small town where word spreads fast.

I know I have to come out eventually but would like to here from someone currently in or having experienced a similar situation in the past.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 09:31 PM
RE: Closet Atheist
Hey Randy,
Glad to have you hear.
It sounds like you have a few things to sort out for your current and future life. I hope you can find a place of refuge and support here!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I think this is a good start. Thanks
15-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Welcome aboard. I took the 'damn the torpedoes' route, but I didn't have your social complications.

I have lost a couple of friends, though.

And nobody lets me babysit. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-04-2012, 05:00 PM
(14-04-2012 08:32 PM)randydesjardins Wrote:  I know I have to come out eventually ...

Why? Your metaphysics is nobody else's business but yours unless you want it to be.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2012, 05:36 PM
It's relatively easy to keep your viewpoint to yourself when you are an individual. Atheists don't have to be evangelistic. There's no need to try and covert anyone. However, in the context of a marriage it's much more difficult to stay silent on such issues. Even more so if you have children, and have an opinion about the religious indoctrination going on in their lives. Even more so if suggesting to your children that they question what they are being taught will "get back" to other people who you would rather not tell.
I recently came out to my wife of 11 years. There were I few "I need some time to think" periods, but things seem relatively OK for the moment. Every situation will be different. I'm sure that there are some marriages that could not survive such a transition. Many people feel that "Jesus" is part of the basis of their marriage.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
15-04-2012, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 05:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-04-2012 05:36 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  However, in the context of a marriage it's much more difficult to stay silent on such issues. Even more so if you have children, and have an opinion about the religious indoctrination going on in their lives.

You're talking to an atheist who was married to a devout Catholic 26 years ago now in a Catholic Church by a Catholic Priest. The Church knew I was an atheist when it married us. They made me promise not to interfere with the Catholic upbringing of any devil spawn resulting from our coitus. No problem I said and I didn't break my word. 4 young atheists later and I think the Church is on its last legs. ... Love transcends metaphysics. ... Shit, now I sound like HoC.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Welcome Girl_nails

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post