Poll: Should I come out?
Yes, to everyone
Yes, to freinds
Yes, to family
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Closet Atheist? Not sure what to do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2013, 08:08 AM
RE: Closet Atheist? Not sure what to do
For me it's not really a big deal to come out. As long as you know what you believe that's the main thing. Consider what the benefits would be to come out. Not many I would assume. There could be some problems at first. But if you find a friend you feel comfortable with to talk about it that would be great. In my case I found a great friend and slowly we figured out we thought the same way. I would definitely not come out on the job. That's risky in my opinion.

So there is my thoughts on the subject. Don't know if it's worth much.

Diety Free in Dixieland
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mec's post
16-06-2013, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 08:28 AM by T.H..)
I also voted no, but more of a not right now. It sounds great your father might be understanding in this. If your close with him, you may want to feel him out on this. We fathers love to have our kids ask us what we think about anything. Makes us feel useful and appreciated. You asking will help in a couple ways. One, you will get to know his real thoughts on the subject, which will be good info in your decision. Second, he will feel more vested in your coming out if you have a few conversations around the subject first. Not just a coming out from nowhere.
Your mother is another story. Women are ??? Who knows

T.H.
16-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Welcome!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do regarding telling the people around you. You said that you wanted to learn how to debate better. You were given some great links but you will also have the chance to see how things go when the 'Theists On A Mission' pop in here to try to make converts, there will be some debating. Of course we also have the nitwits that do a driveby hellfire and damnation rant and think that helps the religious cause. Then you really get to see the circular reasoning go round and round till your head spins.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to just be honest with people as it comes up. Organically, I believe it was called earlier in this thread.

Glad to have you on the forum.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I haven't come out to my extended family or to the majority of my friends. My profile on Facebook states my religious views as "Live long and prosper". That's all anyone needs to know.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
16-06-2013, 02:26 PM
I think ud be ok, but wht kind of christian are they and how devout are they?
16-06-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't even know what type of christian they are, which says a lot for their devotion. We don't even go to church, or talk about god very much. My mom thinks evolution is evil though, and she's the only one in my family who talks about god.

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. -Laurence J. Peter
16-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Well... It seems that if your mom is the only one who really cares, then id say its fine to come out. Hey my mom harasses me all the time about my atheism and i just give her her medicine back most times, and were still close.
16-06-2013, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 04:04 AM by Bucky Ball.)
edit/lame attempt at humor

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
16-06-2013, 09:55 PM
.......what are you trying to say buckey ball?...
17-06-2013, 07:04 PM
What do you think i should do?
Most of my friends and all of my classmates know im an atheist,but my parents dont. I asked a few questions and the responses pointed out that i probably shouldnt tell them that i dont believe anymore if i want to stay in the house.
My dad says as long as i live with them,i must follow the cultural and religious traditions.
This is not just going to church,as i am not raised christian,but hindu.
It means every morning pouring water over a statue of "god",plucking flowers and putting them infront of a statue,and on thursday and friday pouring milk instead of water and not eating meat on those days and meditating atleast 15 mins.
I see the milk pouring part as wasting milk,and i tend to come late to school by this.

I wished to go out of their house and living alone as soon as i'm going to the university,
and my hobby is woodcraft and computers,and in my free time i make chairs and small tables,or repair computers and in the vacation i do small plumbing work. The money is saved for this goal.

But the problem is now. How do i explain to them that i do not like to pour water on a statue,and pick flowers and meditate and not eating meat on these days and everything else while still living with them for the next 3 years?
How do i explain to them that i do not want to go to both the normal doctor and priest if i am sick? The priest is just a waste of money that they could have spend better...
My parents are rational on everything exept religion.
And for later,if i want to move out,i will be 17 by then. How do i find out if a 17yr old can rent a house,or live alone without some legal right for my parents to force me back?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....