Poll: Should I come out?
Yes, to everyone
Yes, to freinds
Yes, to family
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Closet Atheist? Not sure what to do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 07:37 PM
RE: Closet Atheist? Not sure what to do
Well, the US thing was kindv a joke, but then again I wasn't really sure. Here in the US we really don't care about other countries, in fact I could probably only name about ten of them. I actually go to a Christian club on Wednesdays, and I fantasize about debating the pastor next time he disses evolution. But, I'm pretty shy and I'm not sure I could do it, nobody knows I'm an atheist.I grew up thinking homosexuality was wrong, and that people couldn't "really" be gay. It was a choice to anger god. What the heck? Ya, people thought, hey look at this overly discriminated bullied group of people, I think it's be fun to join them and piss of god.Huh I'm having to go over many beliefs I still have, politically and otherwise becuase many revolved around religion. So are you out of the closet, or whats going on?

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. -Laurence J. Peter
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2013, 09:48 AM
(19-06-2013 07:37 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  Well, the US thing was kindv a joke, but then again I wasn't really sure. Here in the US we really don't care about other countries, in fact I could probably only name about ten of them. I actually go to a Christian club on Wednesdays, and I fantasize about debating the pastor next time he disses evolution. But, I'm pretty shy and I'm not sure I could do it, nobody knows I'm an atheist.I grew up thinking homosexuality was wrong, and that people couldn't "really" be gay. It was a choice to anger god. What the heck? Ya, people thought, hey look at this overly discriminated bullied group of people, I think it's be fun to join them and piss of god.Huh I'm having to go over many beliefs I still have, politically and otherwise becuase many revolved around religion. So are you out of the closet, or whats going on?

my friends,classmates and 1 teacher know that i am an atheist. My family doesnt.
I was explaining evolution to a friend, and a classmate came and said "dont you know evolution is never proven? Scientist just say bogus" so we started discussing it and then we started discussing the existence of god.
The teacher asked us why we were talking so much and he said that we discussed about religion and that i dont believe in god. I have him to thank for that i dont have to hide my non-belief.
If i have free periods,a classmate always comes to me to debate,and sometimes i debate with the teacher.
I wish i had that luxury at home...
Thats my story

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
22-06-2013, 11:00 AM
On the contrary to the majority of the posts so far, I would say that the best, and arguably the most morally correct and truthfully noble, thing to do would be to tell your family you are an atheist as soon as possible.

To have to willfully suppress your own behavior, thoughts and views around others because of what they want of you is total double-think bullshit; fuck that.

You can't have other people forcing you to act along as if you share their beliefs, not only their nonfactual anti-scientific beliefs, but even their dubious 'moral' beliefs; when, in fact, you hold the, correct, antithesis of their faulty views. Who gives a fuck what other people think of your ideas? You shouldn't.

If they are so weak and ignoble as to let something so trivial as a differing on viewpoint affect their relationships with you, that's their fucking problem, not yours.

You never chose to have their beliefs, you never even chose to be in league with them. Let them deal with it. If you don't act now, you'll probably never get a chance again and just sink into indecision, procrastination and fear for the rest of your life until you have to permanently live as if you share their delusion.

Wake up, wake up and smell the ashes of freedom. Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
[+] 1 user Likes MrAttacus's post
22-06-2013, 01:11 PM
MrAttacus,you are a bit wrong. People can indeed force you.
A very real example that treatens me:
if you do not folow our religion,you may not live here. You can live on the streets.

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
22-06-2013, 01:14 PM
MrAttacus,on the contrary. People can indeed force you.
if you do not folow our religion,you may not live here.

[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
22-06-2013, 03:18 PM
(22-06-2013 01:14 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  MrAttacus,on the contrary. People can indeed force you.
if you do not follow our religion,you may not live here.

I'm sorry. I suppose the extremity depends on the religion and how fanatical and delusional the people enforcing it are. But no reasonable person that really cared about another should be that intolerant.

If someone makes you have to share their beliefs by you being dependent on them, find a way not to depend on them. My advice is this: If you are attached to someone who is restricting your freedom of will and thought, then you have to cut them out. There's nothing to really be afraid of that they can do within reason or the law...well, depending on where you are in the world.

But there is always a way out. There must be, your own freedom as an individual demands it. Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
22-06-2013, 04:48 PM
(22-06-2013 03:18 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  
(22-06-2013 01:14 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  MrAttacus,on the contrary. People can indeed force you.
if you do not follow our religion,you may not live here.

I'm sorry. I suppose the extremity depends on the religion and how fanatical and delusional the people enforcing it are. But no reasonable person that really cared about another should be that intolerant.

If someone makes you have to share their beliefs by you being dependent on them, find a way not to depend on them. My advice is this: If you are attached to someone who is restricting your freedom of will and thought, then you have to cut them out. There's nothing to really be afraid of that they can do within reason or the law...well, depending on where you are in the world.

But there is always a way out. There must be, your own freedom as an individual demands it. Drinking Beverage

i will. If you saw my post,then you would see i am not 18,so i cant rent my own house. As soon as im 18,im gone.
I already turned my hobby into a way i earn money for that goal.
And i do not agree that you should cut all tier with such a person.
I think you should back off for some time till they get reasonal.

I pitty atheist in certain islamic countries. I have the luxury to "come out" later,while they will face death penalty for doing so

[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I am officially out of the closet!
it feels fucking good not to be dishonest!
It hapened like this:
I lost my earpiece,and i was listening to seth's podcast in my room w/o headphones.
My mom came in the room to put clothes in my drawer, and it happened that seth made a joke about god.
So,my mom asked why i listen to it,and i said cuz i dont believe god exists.
We had a short argument in about 5 mins,and then she couldnt find any argument,and she just said she doesnt like to discus about religion,she believes that god is a fact,and that atheist may have their opinion,but she believes they are just ignorant.
My father,on the other hand,was not so cool.
I may not go to the trip i planned with friends,wifi in the house is turned off,ect.

Good thing i helped my neighbour with his wifi,i have his code and permision to use it Laugh out load

yes! I do not have to do religious shit anymore!
And in the meantime,i will play all of seth's podcasts and debates out loud to annoy my dad more,or maybe he can find reasons why i do not believe

02-07-2013, 02:44 AM
^^ Careful kiddo. You said your Dad is not reacting well. I would not push it if I were you because you're not in a strong position - what happens if you get kicked outta the house ?
02-07-2013, 07:30 AM
I dunno,i suppose i'll use the money i saved for such a thing.
Fuck that,i dont think i'll play podcasts out loud..