Closing the gaps in evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 10:13 AM
I am not a biologist, but I understand enough to know that this is a fairly significant finding for understanding how complex organisms evolved from very simple ones... thoughts?

Complex archaea that bridge the gap between prokaryotes and eukaryotes

Sort of ironic that the microbe in question is named after a god when its existence is yet more evidence that nature needs no gods to exist.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
07-05-2015, 11:26 AM
RE: Closing the gaps in evolution
I've always been amazed there's ANY fossils at all. Especially when you're talking not years, but millions and hundreds of million years, and conditions need to be "just so" so that they survive. The fact that we have as many fossils as we do -- even counting gaps --- puts me in awe of the paleontologists who do the work. Those guys just don't give up - they gotta be obsessed..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-05-2015, 12:54 PM
http://www.evolutionnews.org/2015/05/a_s...95861.html
12-05-2015, 05:00 PM
I shoulda stopped reading that as soon as I saw the "What is intelligent design?" box on top......

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
13-05-2015, 04:24 PM
(12-05-2015 12:54 PM)Dan Wrote:  http://www.evolutionnews.org/2015/05/a_s...95861.html

The author indicates there are gaps in what we know about a specific item of evolution. More exactly, gaps in her knowledge. Could another biologist inform her? Possibly. I can't help. I'm not a biologist.

But even if no-one has that specific knowledge, that doesn't mean you can insert god into the gaps - it's not called the "god of the gaps" argument for nothing. We just don't know. Maybe we'll know tomorrow. Maybe in 10 years. Maybe in 100 years.

It's not that long ago that people believed that lightning was a sign that god was pissed off with us. Now, very few people believe that.
13-05-2015, 04:36 PM
(12-05-2015 12:54 PM)Dan Wrote:  http://www.evolutionnews.org/2015/05/a_s...95861.html

I call bullshit. Drinking Beverage

Wikipedia Wrote:The Biologic Institute is a tax-exempt organization with offices in Redmond, Washington and laboratories in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle, Washington. It is funded by the Discovery Institute with the stated goal of doing biological research to produce experimental evidence of intelligent design.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-05-2015, 05:07 PM
(13-05-2015 04:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Wikipedia Wrote:The Biologic Institute is a tax-exempt organization with offices in Redmond, Washington and laboratories in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle, Washington. It is funded by the Discovery Institute with the stated goal of doing biological research to produce experimental evidence of intelligent design.

Good call, Chas.

From the Wiki page...

"The Discovery Institute stated in October 2006 that intelligent design research is being conducted by the institute in secret to avoid the scrutiny of the scientific community." Em...that's not how science works.

"The scientific community remains skeptical and commentators note that no publications containing results which support intelligent design have yet appeared." Em...that's not how science works either.

(13-05-2015 04:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  I call bullshit.

Yep, great call!!
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post