CloudFlare & Forum Stability

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 04:37 AM
CloudFlare & Forum Stability
CloudFlare is gone - it was more trouble than it's worth, and overall it was wasted money. The prices they ask for the basic protection I wanted is beyond ridiculous.

Over the time while TTA has been getting hit by ddos I have learned allot about fighting these attacks. Right now I have CSF (Config Server Firewall) and LFD (Login Failure Daemon) installed on the server.
http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html
This combined with some clever scripting is what is currently keeping TTA Stable.

I'll be sharing what I learnt with Darklight if he decides to came out of his hidey hole.

I'm confident I've defeated the latest method of attack: http based (layer 7) distributed flood attack.

I now have some tools under my belt to deal with future attacks.

Hopefully the script kiddie(s) attacking this site don't know anything beyond the basic running of someone elses scripts. Keeps my job simple.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like DeepThought's post
03-07-2014, 04:50 AM
RE: CloudFlare & Forum Stability
Thanks for working so hard on it for all of us Bowing

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
03-07-2014, 06:38 AM
(03-07-2014 04:37 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  CloudFlare is gone - it was more trouble than it's worth, and overall it was wasted money. The prices they ask for the basic protection I wanted is beyond ridiculous.

Over the time while TTA has been getting hit by ddos I have learned allot about fighting these attacks. Right now I have CSF (Config Server Firewall) and LFD (Login Failure Daemon) installed on the server.
http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html
This combined with some clever scripting is what is currently keeping TTA Stable.

I'll be sharing what I learnt with Darklight if he decides to came out of his hidey hole.

I'm confident I've defeated the latest method of attack: http based (layer 7) distributed flood attack.

I now have some tools under my belt to deal with future attacks.

Hopefully the script kiddie(s) attacking this site don't know anything beyond the basic running of someone elses scripts. Keeps my job simple.

transation: i used the awsome power and knowledge of and me combined to defeat script kiddies?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
03-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Ding dong the witch is dead.

I've hated CloudFlare from the beginning. Glad it's gone.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
03-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I just love how you keep us safe and warm, DT Heart

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
04-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Sweeet, no objection to donating now.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-07-2014, 03:39 AM
Much better now! Getting onto the forum is no problem since the change. Thanks Deep. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-07-2014, 05:57 AM
I'm just glad it's working and isn't requiring my constant attention anymore! Smile

It's nice to just relax and let things just run on autopilot!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
04-07-2014, 08:18 AM
(04-07-2014 05:57 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm just glad it's working and isn't requiring my constant attention anymore! Smile

Yesterday I had several instances where the website would refuse to load for a bit. Not sure if the problem was on your end or mine but figured you should know. Happened from around 11am est-8pm est ish site would work fine for a few minutes then it would slow way down and the stop completely.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
04-07-2014, 08:24 AM
(04-07-2014 08:18 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 05:57 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm just glad it's working and isn't requiring my constant attention anymore! Smile

Yesterday I had several instances where the website would refuse to load for a bit. Not sure if the problem was on your end or mine but figured you should know. Happened from around 11am est-8pm est ish site would work fine for a few minutes then it would slow way down and the stop completely.

I had that experience, too. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user