Clowns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 04:48 AM
RE: Clowns
(15-01-2017 10:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, not clowns. Consider

In May of this year, Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus will close after 146 years.

It's sad in many ways, but zoos and circuses seem to be out of step with the times.

That's because the real circus starts on the twentieth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Do you know why they're closing down the Ringling Brother's circus????

With the Trump administration coming into office -- it just seemed redundant.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-01-2017, 09:44 AM
(15-01-2017 10:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  Indianapolis has a nice zoo.

That it is. We take our kids there about every month or so. And also to the children's museum which is awesome.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
16-01-2017, 10:36 AM
(16-01-2017 07:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you know why they're closing down the Ringling Brother's circus????

With the Trump administration coming into office -- it just seemed redundant.....

Big Grin

(16-01-2017 04:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  That's because the real circus starts on the twentieth.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-01-2017, 10:38 AM
When I was a little kid I never cared for the animal acts in the circus. Even then I felt so sorry for the animals. I hated the poor animals trained to do all that contrived stuff just to entertain people. Just leave them in the wild or an big huge animal park. I never liked the dog acts either. Poor dogs.

The only clowns I like are sad and really inept clowns. Bill Erwin was woooonderful! I think he became the new Mr. Noodle on Sesame Street but he had a Broadway show for a while. This is him on the old Bill Cosby show. His physicality is amazing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-01-2017, 10:38 AM
You'll also note politicians who call for expanding the groups that vote for them ---- "a big tent" party -----

I know where they can buy one...................

It'd look appropriate on the White House lawn......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-01-2017, 11:31 AM
(16-01-2017 10:38 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I never liked the dog acts either. Poor dogs.

Actually, dogs are mostly the exception to the rule that animals don't care to perform. There are a lot of dogs with the drive to perform. Usually you find them on agility tracks, as well as as sniffers for police.

The dogs suitable for these things have an excessive play drive and often get into trouble living with people because they have too much energy and are hyper active. They thrive on athletic activities and play. To them, performing is all fun and games, they learn the tricks because they love the activity itself as well as the rewards.

There isn't really any way to force a dog to perform at those levels, and punishment is never ever used because the whole performance is enthusiasm based. You can't get an unhappy dog to bounce around like that.

Unfortunately the shelters are full of dogs with such a drive because they just won't simmer down in a pet situation.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
16-01-2017, 11:35 AM
(16-01-2017 11:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 10:38 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I never liked the dog acts either. Poor dogs.

Actually, dogs are mostly the exception to the rule that animals don't care to perform. There are a lot of dogs with the drive to perform. Usually you find them on agility tracks, as well as as sniffers for police.

The dogs suitable for these things have an excessive play drive and often get into trouble living with people because they have too much energy and are hyper active. They thrive on athletic activities and play. To them, performing is all fun and games, they learn the tricks because they love the activity itself as well as the rewards.

There isn't really any way to force a dog to perform at those levels, and punishment is never ever used because the whole performance is enthusiasm based. You can't get an unhappy dog to bounce around like that.

Unfortunately the shelters are full of dogs with such a drive because they just won't simmer down in a pet situation.

Jack Russell's come to mind. Yes
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
16-01-2017, 11:46 AM
(16-01-2017 11:35 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 11:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Actually, dogs are mostly the exception to the rule that animals don't care to perform. There are a lot of dogs with the drive to perform. Usually you find them on agility tracks, as well as as sniffers for police.

Jack Russels didn't get recognized by the AKC until fairly recently. That means they didn't get raised for conformation but to do their real job - hunt small furries. That is what they want and need to do - run and grab and shake.

When I lived in central California, we were surrounded by fields. When the farmers irrigated, rats came rushing to our place for dry ground. We had a Jack Russel who would spot a rat, run, catch it by the neck, shake it once and drop it - dead. Off to get another one. That's what they are bred for and their energy just won't quit. They are super efficient at it and the rat never even knows what happened.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-01-2017, 11:52 AM
(16-01-2017 11:35 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 11:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Actually, dogs are mostly the exception to the rule that animals don't care to perform. There are a lot of dogs with the drive to perform. Usually you find them on agility tracks, as well as as sniffers for police.

My girlfriend worked at a rescue and was thrilled when the show Frasier finally went off the air. So many saw that dog "Eddie" and thought he was so mellow and adorable they ran out and bought jack Russell's, not realizing how much work they were. Our neighbors had a rat terrier that was bane of existence. Spoiled, obnoxious, and incredibly bored. Sure the dog did somewhat mellow as he aged but who wants to wait 13 years?

With some dogs you really have to give them an "occupation" otherwise they'll make you and everyone else crazy.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post