Coding leave

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Coding leave
I'm taking a few weeks off work to do some coding. We've just come off the end of a big project so there isn't too much to do there. Or more precisely the budgets available to charge to are a little stretched. A number of staff have already been shown the door. At this stage we're waiting on the results of one final project bid to decide whether to keep the team together or not.

In the mean time I'm going to make enough progress on a personal project to get it up to version 1. I'm trying to distill a chunk of systems engineering experience into a days model and editor. It's something fun to do but time is a bit short to complete it. I'll update this thread with progress if I make any substantial.

Has anyone else taken time off for personal projects? How has it worked out?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
21-06-2015, 09:01 AM
RE: Coding leave
I've reached my version 0.1 prototype: https://github.com/fuzzyBSc/systemdesign...s/tag/v0.1

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
28-06-2015, 08:58 AM
And now version 0.2:

28-06-2015, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2015 10:24 AM by god has no twitter account.)
(04-06-2015 06:34 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm taking a few weeks off work to do some coding. We've just come off the end of a big project so there isn't too much to do there. Or more precisely the budgets available to charge to are a little stretched. A number of staff have already been shown the door. At this stage we're waiting on the results of one final project bid to decide whether to keep the team together or not.

In the mean time I'm going to make enough progress on a personal project to get it up to version 1. I'm trying to distill a chunk of systems engineering experience into a days model and editor. It's something fun to do but time is a bit short to complete it. I'll update this thread with progress if I make any substantial.

I decided to take a short break from the rat race to see if I could make a living as a gambler (on horses). I did it properly and thoroughly researched the topic.

That was 12 years ago.

During that time, I wrote two books, became a tipster for a while and developed a number of systems and methods.

Now, I can get out of bed when I feel like it. I could spend all day just lounging around drinking and smoking and having the odd bet.

Well, I could. Instead, I'm up at 6:40 am every day. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I only bet when I know the odds are in my favour. To succeed in this game, you have to be incredibly disciplined.

Would I go back to the rat race?

Nope.

Would I recommend it?

Nope - it's not for everyone. You just change one set of issues for a different set is all. But, it depends which set of issues you'd rather deal with.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
28-06-2015, 10:08 AM
(04-06-2015 06:34 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ---

A friend of mine did. He has ZERO dicipline and is not a self starter. He spent a lot of his savings - that's about it. He went back to work after a couple of years a bit disappointed in his misspent time.

I think he just didn't have a specific goal and an outline of that goal with expectations for an outcome. He remains a very disorganized person who needs "work" to structure his life. Which is pretty much how he went into his "life experiment". He is a great boss to work for but, he has no idea how to be the boss of himself. That may be the only thing he learned from the experience ... if he payed that much attention. He's a bit ADHD, I think.

My advice ...
If you do take time off ... make certain you have an outline of expectations and a timeline to meet those expectations. Stick to the plan. You may not be working for someone else but you are most certainly working for YOU.

To me, it's a win win situation. I've done it myself at different times- not for specific projects but mostly to change & alter personal circumstances. It takes a certain amount of self discipline, initiative, and self control.

You seem to have a competent and positive attitude, Hafy - I say go for it! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
29-06-2015, 01:17 AM
Wow, that looks neato. I'll watch your movies when I get some time later Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-06-2015, 07:15 AM
(28-06-2015 08:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  And now version 0.2:

I was lost after the first minute. Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-06-2015, 11:14 PM
If I decided to 'check out' of my job for 'personal projects' I'd wind up living off the land, farming, fishing, and doing pc repair and troubleshooting issues on the side. I may do some carpentry and metalworking as well (Something I have a knack for, but I don't have a whole lot of experience in). I'd probably age quickly, and be poor, but I think I could make it work. I have no incentive to though. Nope, I'll keep on racing.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post