Coexist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 11:15 PM
Coexist
This term was brought up often in my church. To see a coexist sign would send my preacher into a rant. To coexist means to accept people and their religions. But according to what I've been taught it can not happen. I saw a coexist car sticker today and for the first time I didn't think of these people as morons. I was happy to see it. Based on what I've been taught coexisting is being unequally yolked. The very words my preacher used was its impossible to coexist and please God. We can teach, preach, whatever all day to these others but to coexist is out of the question.
Now that I have opened my mind, I see it differently. I see the ones who say we can't coexist as monsters. The reason they don't want to coexist is because their God never allowed it. The same God who wiped out cities, women, children, innocents.. All because they were different. They were pagan. Different beliefs. It's not okay to coexist but it is perfectly ok to murder people so that we don't have to coexist with different tribes.
Yeah.. They are right. It's impossible to coexist with closed minded people. It's impossible to coexist with people who think they are better for being saved. It is impossible to coexist with people who look down on others for being different. It's impossible to coexist with people who are against anyone just being themselves.

Im glad that I no longer have to deal with this crap.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like Jewelarcher's post
06-05-2016, 11:23 PM
RE: Coexist
Hug

Smile
06-05-2016, 11:56 PM
It's not the religion, it's the religiosity.

The moderates and liberals in the religions can coexist just fine. It's the religious conservatives, fundamentalists, literalists, and other reactionary nutjobs who can't.

.... unfortunately, you can't choose which group you get born into... and even if you come to it later in life, it's often hard to tell the difference is before you get sucked in.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
07-05-2016, 04:47 AM
Well said Jewel... Bravo !!

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
07-05-2016, 06:01 AM
(06-05-2016 11:15 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  This term was brought up often in my church. To see a coexist sign would send my preacher into a rant. To coexist means to accept people and their religions. But according to what I've been taught it can not happen. I saw a coexist car sticker today and for the first time I didn't think of these people as morons. I was happy to see it. Based on what I've been taught coexisting is being unequally yolked. The very words my preacher used was its impossible to coexist and please God. We can teach, preach, whatever all day to these others but to coexist is out of the question.
Now that I have opened my mind, I see it differently. I see the ones who say we can't coexist as monsters. The reason they don't want to coexist is because their God never allowed it. The same God who wiped out cities, women, children, innocents.. All because they were different. They were pagan. Different beliefs. It's not okay to coexist but it is perfectly ok to murder people so that we don't have to coexist with different tribes.
Yeah.. They are right. It's impossible to coexist with closed minded people. It's impossible to coexist with people who think they are better for being saved. It is impossible to coexist with people who look down on others for being different. It's impossible to coexist with people who are against anyone just being themselves.

Im glad that I no longer have to deal with this crap.

Religion, being a primitive, irrational system is a kind of tribalism and tribalism always, always leads to unending conflict. Religions divide people into two categories: the chosen and the damned. It can not lead to anything other than conflict. It's a concrete-bound, anti-conceptual mentality. You aren't part of my tribe so I don't trust you and I fear you. You don't think like my tribe so you are wrong. you don't live your life the accepted way of my tribe so you are to be condemned. When you realize that the vast, vast majority of people today have this mentality, it's easy to see why there is so much violence and strife in the world. Irrationality, i.e. concrete- bound anti-conceptual mentalities, are the root cause of all violence and conflict.

On my view, coexisting means holding the individual rights of others as absolutes. It does not mean respecting or approving of the ideas others have necessarily but respecting their right to have them and to live by their own judgement. I take Thomas Jefferson's attitude: If it does not break my leg or pick my pocket then It's not my concern. When I don't agree with or share the same values of another I just don't deal with them and let them go their way and I go mine.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 6 users Like true scotsman's post
07-05-2016, 07:07 AM
It is not religions that cannot coexist, it is arrogant humans. There is no reason why someone with one set of beliefs cannot live peacefully with someone with different beliefs. It is only when one of those people feels they are entitled to force those beliefs onto the other. Most religions can justify this behaviour, and it is up to the individuals to interpret their own religions differently. When your religion breaches the terms of secularity then that is when they cannot coexist.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like izel's post
07-05-2016, 08:56 AM
so did your preacher go around murdering people that he couldnt convert? im not sure what other solution there would be. unless he just whined and stamped his foot about those who dont agree with him. im betting (and hoping) it was the latter.
07-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Tolerance can make it easier to move threw a day. I coexist with my wife's family and friends very peacefully (so long as they don't know my stance). I tolerate their desire to pray before each meal, the church days i get dragged to, and the constate praises of "God's Miracles" I see on face book.

What I don't tolerate. Is when their supported beliefs infringe on my rights, or life. And I seeing and hearing a lot of it now and days.

Most religious people have blinders on to other religions. A common statement I hear is "Well, we all believe in the same god just different ways." This for many if the folds is enough. But is that really tolerating, or even coexisting? It's just a lie, that is told. Hinduism has hundreds of gods not just one. Wiccans have multiple Spirits? (I'm fuzzy in wiccins) Or to account for the religioions without gods? Buddhism and the like.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
07-05-2016, 09:05 AM
(07-05-2016 08:56 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  so did your preacher go around murdering people that he couldnt convert? im not sure what other solution there would be. unless he just whined and stamped his foot about those who dont agree with him. im betting (and hoping) it was the latter.

no he didnt murder anyone lol
he just.. said that we couldnt co exist together. im sure i have notes on it in one of my notebooks from then.
he basically said we couldnt live in the same world with them.
07-05-2016, 09:06 AM
he never believed that we all believed the same god but differently. he said that we believed the one true god, the right god. the reason we couldnt coexist was because they were wrong.. the way this preacher explained other religions was that they were all wrong and evil