Coincidence messes with my mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Coincidence messes with my mind
The human mind does not easily accept the idea of coincidence. Hubby went up to the mountains on Sept 28 to hunt moose. Meanwhile I was home having to take care of all of mundane stuff by myself. I tend to be uneasy when he is in the mountains by himself and then I was helping a couple of friends out with the drama in their lives (one was having a huge argument with her husband and the other lost her husband to an unexpected accident). So I was missing him and was ready for him to come home.

Sometimes when I wish to impose my will on the universe, I will tell it to do my bidding. (This works, like never Laughat ). So on the morning of Oct 8, I told the universe that it was time hubby got his moose. I was tired of the situation and the universe needed to fix it. I then went to the Smiling Moose deli to meet a friend for lunch. As I got to the parking lot, I got a text that hubby got his moose.

So while I know this is coincidence because there was a high probability of him getting a moose up in the mountains where he was looking for them, having the text come when it did causes that stupid little voice in the back of my mind to go "oooooo" magic voodoo stuff. Evil_monster The rest of my brain is telling it to shut up because it doesn't know what it is talking about. Beat_stick

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes quoin's post
11-10-2015, 11:42 AM
RE: Coincidence messes with my mind
I used to believe in the same thing as a Christian. Coincidences = God's hand in things. Facepalm

One book that I really like is called The Improbability Principle by David J. Hand. It really helped in my transition from woo to reality and viewing naturally occurring coincidences as just that--naturally occurring coincidences--and not God's hand in things.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-10-2015, 11:43 AM
(11-10-2015 11:36 AM)quoin Wrote:  The human mind does not easily accept the idea of coincidence. Hubby went up to the mountains on Sept 28 to hunt moose. Meanwhile I was home having to take care of all of mundane stuff by myself. I tend to be uneasy when he is in the mountains by himself and then I was helping a couple of friends out with the drama in their lives (one was having a huge argument with her husband and the other lost her husband to an unexpected accident). So I was missing him and was ready for him to come home.

Sometimes when I wish to impose my will on the universe, I will tell it to do my bidding. (This works, like never Laughat ). So on the morning of Oct 8, I told the universe that it was time hubby got his moose. I was tired of the situation and the universe needed to fix it. I then went to the Smiling Moose deli to meet a friend for lunch. As I got to the parking lot, I got a text that hubby got his moose.

So while I know this is coincidence because there was a high probability of him getting a moose up in the mountains where he was looking for them, having the text come when it did causes that stupid little voice in the back of my mind to go "oooooo" magic voodoo stuff. Evil_monster The rest of my brain is telling it to shut up because it doesn't know what it is talking about. Beat_stick

Timing is everything. Big Grin

Sometimes things turn out that way. Random stuff seems to fit.

It's all good...so long as you don't expect it work next time.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
“Anything that happens, happens.

Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.

Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”

― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-10-2015, 12:20 PM
The butterfly effect has always made a lot more sense to me than the idea of god or magic voodoo. It was what finally made me stop trying to believe in the idea of god that my mother's church tried to convince me existed.

But it is always interesting to observe my own mind do its own little evolutionary attempt to create patterns where none exist.

But little stupid voice says: Don't forget, we were at the Smiling Moose deli when I got the text. Has to be something there. Has to be.

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count
[+] 1 user Likes quoin's post
11-10-2015, 12:23 PM
(11-10-2015 12:20 PM)quoin Wrote:  The butterfly effect has always made a lot more sense to me than the idea of god or magic voodoo. It was what finally made me stop trying to believe in the idea of god that my mother's church tried to convince me existed.

But it is always interesting to observe my own mind do its own little evolutionary attempt to create patterns where none exist.

But little stupid voice says: Don't forget, we were at the Smiling Moose deli when I got the text. Has to be something there. Has to be.

Bet the moose he shot wasn't smiling...so there's that. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
11-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Would he have gotten the moose that day if you hadn't wished for it?
Weren't you wishing for it prior to it actually happening?
The idea that you made the wish in the first place is setting you up for something that seems more than a coincidence.
11-10-2015, 12:34 PM
(11-10-2015 11:36 AM)quoin Wrote:  The rest of my brain is telling it to shut up because it doesn't know what it is talking about. Beat_stick

I get that all the time. Thumbsup

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Coincidences can be a real mind fuck. But remember that it's very easy for the gambler's fallacy to take hold. In other words, you flip a coin over and over, and if it doesn't land on the side you want, the next time you flip it, it's more likely to show up on the side you want. In all reality, the chances are still 50/50 that it'll land on either. The chances do not become greater just because it is done over and over.

Same thing with coincidences. There are 7 billion people on this planet, and the chances of xyz happening are small, but still, things happen and statistically someone is bound for coincidence xyz to happen to them, despite the chances. Though we humans are pretty much programmed to see patterns, so it's easy to piece things together in your head and go, "Well this is all part of something."

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
11-10-2015, 01:35 PM
(11-10-2015 12:20 PM)quoin Wrote:  The butterfly effect has always made a lot more sense to me than the idea of god or magic voodoo. It was what finally made me stop trying to believe in the idea of god that my mother's church tried to convince me existed.

That's why I like Hand's book. He's a statistician and developed several "laws" as to why the improbable happens and will keep happening and how improbable events or coincidences really aren't that improbable at all (if that makes any sense lol) Big Grin

Here's his website with "laws" if anyone is interested:

http://improbability-principle.com/the-l...principle/
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post