Cold Fusion Discovered?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Cold Fusion Discovered?
http://news.discovery.com/tech/cold-fusi...pgn=twdsc2

I'm not holding my breath, especially considering this paragraph:

Quote:The Italian scientists, like Pons and Fleischmann, skipped the typical route of publishing their study and results in a peer-reviewed science journal, instead taking it directly to the press and public. This is a strong sign of pseudoscience, and smacks of a mistake, if not an outright hoax.

but wouldn't it be great if this turns out to be true? Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 05:53 PM

RE: Cold Fusion Discovered?
Heard about it, dismissed it as crap, but boy would this be the most amazing thing ever in the history of the human race if it turned out to be true.

However, I'm pretty sure that cold fusion has been proven to be theoretically impossible.
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 06:05 PM
(24-01-2011 05:53 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Heard about it, dismissed it as crap, but boy would this be the most amazing thing ever in the history of the human race if it turned out to be true.

However, I'm pretty sure that cold fusion has been proven to be theoretically impossible.

Were back in 1988?

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Even if it is not theoretically or practically impossible, it will definitely take more than two professors in a university lab to pull it off. It would have to be a multi-billion dollar project.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
25-01-2011, 03:30 AM
I wonder if the LHC could help in this case ?
25-01-2011, 10:37 AM
link Wrote:Last Friday, the scientists held a private invitation press conference in Bologna, attended by about 50 people, where they demonstrated what they claim is a nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor. Further, the scientists say that the reactor is well beyond the research phase; they plan to start shipping commercial devices within the next three months and start mass production by the end of 2011.
I smell bullshit. Commercial devices in three months, although it seems that the experiement hasn't been repeated by other scientists.
Even the Valkee ear-lamps were tested more before selling them to the public.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
25-01-2011, 11:24 AM
It's potential BS - the source needs to be investigated.
Still , if it's not cold fusion , regular fusion is possible and probably impressive.
More research into these claims is needed - could you provide more links Kikko ?
25-01-2011, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2011 01:32 PM by Kikko.)
Quote:More research into these claims is needed - could you provide more links Kikko ?
Geez, you think I'm that gassy?

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/20...eakthrough
Quote:The problem is, they haven’t provided any details on how the process works. After their paper was rejected by several peer reviewed scientific journals, it was published in the Journal of Nuclear Physics—an online journal apparently founded by Rossi and Focardi. Further, they say they can’t account for how the cold fusion is triggered, fostering deep skepticism from others in the scientific community.

Based on this lack of even a theoretical basis for the device’s function, a patent application was rejected.

They also claim that a factory has been running with this kind of energy for 2 years, so if they really are successful then we're all happy and they get respect, but if they are not successful, their reputation is ruined.
When/if this gets more evidence behind it, it's gonna be in newspapers all over the world.

And here's their blog: http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/
Somebody said s/he's gonna get English subtitles to this, but at the time it's only Italian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Ru1eAym...re=related

Accept me or go to hell.
25-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:Geez, you think I'm that gassy?

What does that even mean ? Tongue
25-01-2011, 01:47 PM
(25-01-2011 01:39 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
Quote:Geez, you think I'm that gassy?

What does that even mean ? Tongue

Don't you know GassyKitteh?Huh

Accept me or go to hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chariklo- the newly discovered asteroid with rings Bows and Arrows 1 80 26-03-2014 02:30 PM
Last Post: Marozz
  Cool-o humungo volcano discovered Bucky Ball 4 343 13-09-2013 01:11 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Newly discovered mammal ... Chas 2 329 16-08-2013 09:51 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Largest Known Prime Number Discovered. (Article) Dark Light 11 591 07-02-2013 09:36 PM
Last Post: DeepThought
  New laser gets closer to using fusion as a viable energy souce. kingschosen 6 865 22-07-2012 08:29 PM
Last Post: bemore
  New animals still being discovered. kingschosen 7 709 25-01-2012 03:49 PM
Last Post: kineo
  Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone Clint Barnett 51 3,135 09-12-2011 03:21 PM
Last Post: houseofcantor