ColdComfort's Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2017, 10:41 AM
RE: ColdComfort's Introduction
Welcome!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2017, 11:03 AM
You're not Ray Comfort's Alaskan Catholic relative are you? j/k sorry, couldn't resist. Tongue

...I think I've had enough coffee Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
15-05-2017, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2017 12:45 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Welcome.

Most Christian denominations, except for the Southern Baptists and the many evangelical literalist spinoffs of its particular sort, accept real science as not conflicting with their theology... that, and "God of the Gaps" (aka "we don't know a thing, therefore magic/deity/both") is a terrible theology to which to hitch your wagon.

And scientists, especially ones who are Christians, are fairly irritated with ID... most find the phrase "Intelligent" to be ironic, when coupled with what we know about the "design" of the tree of life. It's about as chaotic and unintelligent as one could imagine. But that's a subject for other threads... many of them.

We're glad to have you at TTA. We already have "resident" Catholic of whom we are all quite fond (if I can presume to speak for the rest of the crew, here at TTA), and I hope you turn out to be as excellent of a person as he is.

Edit to Add: Oh, and don't mind Muffs. He's our resident dick. Or "cunt", as he'd say. He means well, surprisingly.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Welcome to TTA.

(15-05-2017 09:04 AM)ColdComfort Wrote:  But I have made peace with Scripture, History and Reason.

What does that mean?

Huh
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
15-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the forum fellow Catholic! \

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Hello! Big Grin
16-05-2017, 12:45 AM
Welcome Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2017, 02:16 AM
(15-05-2017 03:01 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 09:04 AM)ColdComfort Wrote:  But I have made peace with Scripture, History and Reason.
What does that mean?

Huh

It's more of a ceasefire than a genuine peace. It's reason that keeps interfering Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-05-2017, 06:40 AM
(15-05-2017 09:04 AM)ColdComfort Wrote:  In the interest of full disclosure I am a Catholic. I do not accept ID as persuasive. I accept what the natural sciences tell me about the age of the material universe. But I have made peace with Scripture, History and Reason.

> I am an atheist and recovered Catholic. Welcome to TTA. I look forward to reading your posts. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
16-05-2017, 08:47 AM
(16-05-2017 06:40 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 09:04 AM)ColdComfort Wrote:  In the interest of full disclosure I am a Catholic. I do not accept ID as persuasive. I accept what the natural sciences tell me about the age of the material universe. But I have made peace with Scripture, History and Reason.

> I am an atheist and recovered Catholic. Welcome to TTA. I look forward to reading your posts. Smile

I once declined a proselytization attempt by some visiting prison chaplains, who were permitted to walk around the yard handing out invitations for the evangelism service, by saying, "Oh, sorry, I can't, guys. I'm a recovering Christoholic. Twenty-two years, Jesus-free!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post