Collecting antiques

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 03:13 AM by ghostexorcist.)
Collecting antiques
I have always enjoyed going to antique stores. I mainly window shop because I rarely see something that I "absolutely" need. But I do occasionally buy old (19th- and early 20-century) books to sell on Amazon. One of my art history professors recently turned me onto an online auction website that sells the kind of premium stuff that you won't find in normal antique stores. Considering that I have a decent paying job, I've decided to buy some higher priced antiques as an investment. I recently purchased a rare first edition of Stories from the Arabian Nights (1907). I'll post pictures shortly. I also purchased some cheap woodblock print booklets from the first Japanese translation of the Chinese classic Journey to the West in 1837. Here is a picture of one. It depicts the main character, an immortal monkey, frolicking with the Jade rabbit of the moon.

[Image: X2v9R4.png]

Does anyone else here collect antiques?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-01-2015, 06:16 AM
RE: Collecting antiques
We have an old treadle sewing machine that's pretty cool in the living room. We also have a butter churn (crockery) and a big wooden cabbage slicer that's about three feet tall and a foot or so wide.

I have several antique kitchen gadgets hanging up in the kitchen. We have a really old scythe that is about six feet tall hanging in the garage as well as many old tools - some had belonged to my grandfather.

I have a couple old books, one is a pop-up book in German that shows how to build a barn. Grandpa brought it with him when he emigrated to the US. The pop up section shows the layout of the beams and the roof trusses.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2015, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 09:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Can't say I'm a "collector" ... but I wanted a couple "Illuminated" Medieval (musical) manuscripts. So I have a couple large (folio size) velum manuscripts of some chant from the hour of Matins, (midnight office) framed from a Spanish antiphoner, from about 1450-1490's. Also have a couple smaller ones (non-musical colored and gold lettered calligraphy) from a "Book of Hours" of a French (Rouen) noblewoman from a little earlier. I don't really plan on getting any more, unless I were to find something spectacular ... also the market for these things is a bit questionable, as buying/bidding on single leaves promotes the destruction of the books they come from. But if I know the leaves are from books that are already unbound, I guess I'm ok with it. I would like a folio size complete illuminated Gregorian Magnificat, but I've never seen a complete one, (and they're phenomenally expensive, as museums are bidding on them.)
http://www.griffons.com/Music-Antiphonal...-1475.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-01-2015, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 09:32 AM by Full Circle.)
I collect masks from our world travels, use them to scare off JWs.

My favorite one is from Africa, acquired in Kenya. It is three feet tall, depicts a crocodile with two birds fighting over a dragonfly on the tail while facing each other. A human face is in the body of the croc where the eyes and mouth are cut out. Bizarre and beautiful at the same time.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-01-2015, 09:03 AM
I collect samplers - those stitched examples of young girl's handiwork with a needle and thread. Mostly American, 1800-1850.

My favorite:

Alice Howard 1817
I am Dumb but you may see
What care my parents took of me
No sweet solicitude I know
Or others bless or others woe

Preserve Almighty Providence
Just gave me ?? competence

Hail ever pleasing solitude
Companion of the wise and good

Alice wasn't the best stitcher. The letters are uneven in size and placement, and her designs wander a bit. I often wonder if she really was "dumb" - mentally? or unable to speak? Ah, a great mystery to ponder, preserved in silk on linen.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
06-01-2015, 07:56 PM
I love antique shops. They are like museums, but if you really like something you can take it home with you :3

I have a few thing from antique stores, mainly small things. Have a collection of victorian teacups, 1920s crystal glasses, a couple of pieces of uniform I got to sort of decorate my great grandfather's memorial shelf, a giant beer tankard which made made some time between 1820-1850 (which I use regularly actually), a hip flask from the 50s, 2 WWI swords, a Pakistani army parade talwar from the 50s, a set of 1940s mess tins and a collection of disarmed bullets from various factories made between 1885-1945

I don't really have any cohesive collection, but I have technically collected quite a lot of antiques over the years. If I was a bit of a higher earner I'd probably be getting most of my housewares from antique shops to be honest lol

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
06-01-2015, 08:10 PM
(06-01-2015 03:01 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I have always enjoyed going to antique stores. I mainly window shop because I rarely see something that I "absolutely" need. But I do occasionally buy old (19th- and early 20-century) books to sell on Amazon. One of my art history professors recently turned me onto an online auction website that sells the kind of premium stuff that you won't find in normal antique stores. Considering that I have a decent paying job, I've decided to buy some higher priced antiques as an investment. I recently purchased a rare first edition of Stories from the Arabian Nights (1907). I'll post pictures shortly. I also purchased some cheap woodblock print booklets from the first Japanese translation of the Chinese classic Journey to the West in 1837. Here is a picture of one. It depicts the main character, an immortal monkey, frolicking with the Jade rabbit of the moon.

[Image: X2v9R4.png]

Does anyone else here collect antiques?

My entire home is made up of antiques, and we have over 6,000 books. My wife is quite the antique hunter. We have spent the last three days in a suite while shopping at Gatlinburg and pigeon forge Tennessee antique stores. I need a bigger house because of her habit Tongue

Be nice if someday we could be in the selling side of things rather than the buying side lol. Happy wife, happy life and all that jazz. I may post some pics when we return home of some of her books and pieces of furniture. Gorgeous stuff. I have found I can get a solid, meaningful, beautiful piece of furniture for less then its equivalent made out of pressed board and covered in a piece of veneer. Blink

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
06-01-2015, 11:16 PM
I'm not a big antique collector, but I have a couple of antique firearms, some coins, a pocket watch, and a clock.

And, no, I didn't buy them new. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Quote:And, no, I didn't buy them new.

teehee

[Image: oscar.png]