College

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 05:24 PM
College
I am a junior in high school with my school year almost over. However I have some problems. Foremost is my GPA. I have a 1.5 GPA and this is my semi-final year of high school. This would mean I might not land at a 3.0 grade point average, and I have read no college that is good and does zoology wants a GPA lower than that. It is also that I did not get straight As all year. Instead I have had all Cs till up to the third marking period where I got As and Bs. Worst of all is that I did not get an A in biology in the 9th grade I got a C. What am I supposed to do? Kids are into the same thing I am but get all As, they will reject me on the spot. Not to mention the whole "white man wants to see niggers fail," mantra I keep hearing in my family. If I am not accepted by any college I am going to just blow my head off. It would be much more dignifying to die than to work at a fast food joint, a store, or a gas station.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 05:33 PM
RE: College
(20-05-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I am a junior in high school with my school year almost over. However I have some problems. Foremost is my GPA. I have a 1.5 GPA and this is my semi-final year of high school. This would mean I might not land at a 3.0 grade point average, and I have read no college that is good and does zoology wants a GPA lower than that. It is also that I did not get straight As all year. Instead I have had all Cs till up to the third marking period where I got As and Bs. Worst of all is that I did not get an A in biology in the 9th grade I got a C. What am I supposed to do? Kids are into the same thing I am but get all As, they will reject me on the spot. Not to mention the whole "white man wants to see niggers fail," mantra I keep hearing in my family. If I am not accepted by any college I am going to just blow my head off. It would be much more dignifying to die than to work at a fast food joint, a store, or a gas station.

You strike me as an EXTREMELY intelligent kid. How in the world do you have a 1.5 GPA? I'll write an advisor at my university to see what they would say. I'll get back to you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
20-05-2014, 05:34 PM
(20-05-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I am a junior in high school with my school year almost over. However I have some problems. Foremost is my GPA. I have a 1.5 GPA and this is my semi-final year of high school. This would mean I might not land at a 3.0 grade point average, and I have read no college that is good and does zoology wants a GPA lower than that. It is also that I did not get straight As all year. Instead I have had all Cs till up to the third marking period where I got As and Bs. Worst of all is that I did not get an A in biology in the 9th grade I got a C. What am I supposed to do? Kids are into the same thing I am but get all As, they will reject me on the spot. Not to mention the whole "white man wants to see niggers fail," mantra I keep hearing in my family. If I am not accepted by any college I am going to just blow my head off. It would be much more dignifying to die than to work at a fast food joint, a store, or a gas station.

Colleges look at the range of classes you took and GPA isn't as important as taking classes that are challenging.

For example a "C" in AP Chemestry is better than an "A" in regular Chemestry.

My son's high school offered classes that were in fact college credit, all he had to do was pay extra fees.

I'm sure some college will accept you.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-05-2014, 05:36 PM
(20-05-2014 05:33 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

You strike me as an EXTREMELY intelligent kid. How in the world do you have a 1.5 GPA? I'll write an advisor at my university to see what they would say. I'll get back to you.

I did no work in the 9th grade and failed 3 classes.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
20-05-2014, 05:46 PM
(20-05-2014 05:36 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:33 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  You strike me as an EXTREMELY intelligent kid. How in the world do you have a 1.5 GPA? I'll write an advisor at my university to see what they would say. I'll get back to you.

I did no work in the 9th grade and failed 3 classes.

Talk to your school counselor. What kinds of classes did you fail? Were they core classes or electives? If they were core classes, did you make them up?

You could always go to a jr college for a couple years and then apply to a 4 year college.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-05-2014, 05:54 PM
(20-05-2014 05:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:36 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I did no work in the 9th grade and failed 3 classes.

Talk to your school counselor. What kinds of classes did you fail? Were they core classes or electives? If they were core classes, did you make them up?

You could always go to a jr college for a couple years and then apply to a 4 year college.

I failed spanish, cooking, and algebra one. I replace spanish with french and have passed that, cooking was an elective and I have passed algbra one. I was trying to skip junior college so I can go to japan faster.

20-05-2014, 06:01 PM
(20-05-2014 05:54 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Talk to your school counselor. What kinds of classes did you fail? Were they core classes or electives? If they were core classes, did you make them up?

I failed spanish, cooking, and algebra one. I replace spanish with french and have passed that, cooking was an elective and I have passed algbra one. I was trying to skip junior college so I can go to japan faster.

Ok, talk to a counselor. Colleges look at the whole picture of your time in school, including classes like leadership, extra curricular activities, clubs etc...

Not everyone gets their act together right away. Hug

20-05-2014, 06:05 PM
(20-05-2014 06:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:54 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I failed spanish, cooking, and algebra one. I replace spanish with french and have passed that, cooking was an elective and I have passed algbra one. I was trying to skip junior college so I can go to japan faster.

Ok, talk to a counselor. Colleges look at the whole picture of your time in school, including classes like leadership, extra curricular activities, clubs etc...

Not everyone gets their act together right away. Hug

Thanks mom. I heard that colleges like Improvment. I also am in environmental club. Sucks I can't take AP bio though. Undecided

[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
20-05-2014, 06:20 PM
(20-05-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Not to mention the whole "white man wants to see niggers fail," mantra I keep hearing in my family.

FWIW, I'm a white girl, that has lived in 4 different states, knew poor people who worked min wage jobs, and lots of physicians, And bankers, and lawyers, and lots of very successful people in all sorts of different fields, and I've NEVER heard a single one of them say anything along those lines. I've worked as an admin for managers that had to hire for multitudes of positions and it always comes down to your degree/qualifications and previous job experience. My husband works in Banking in software development, he works with people from all over the world. Corporate jobs don't have time or take the risks to play racist cards.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but it's not as powerful as most people give it, at least not in my experience.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
20-05-2014, 06:24 PM
(20-05-2014 06:20 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Not to mention the whole "white man wants to see niggers fail," mantra I keep hearing in my family.

FWIW, I'm a white girl, that has lived in 4 different states, knew poor people who worked min wage jobs, and lots of physicians, And bankers, and lawyers, and lots of very successful people in all sorts of different fields, and I've NEVER heard a single one of them say anything along those lines. I've worked as an admin for managers that had to hire for multitudes of positions and it always comes down to your degree/qualifications and previous job experience. My husband works in Banking in software development, he works with people from all over the world. Corporate jobs don't have time or take the risks to play racist cards.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but it's not as powerful as most people give it, at least not in my experience.

OMGODDESS, that was alot off my shoulders. Thanks hawkeye. Hug