College Graduates?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2015, 10:19 PM
College Graduates?
I am curious as to which class in college was the most difficult for those of you whom graduated with a science, engineering, or mathematics degree. I am an engineering major and think most of them are difficult (but fun!) The fact that almost everything in nature can be formulated into a mathematical representation never ceases to amaze me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2015, 12:13 PM
RE: College Graduates?
Two I found difficult were Numerical Analysis and some type of Advanced Geometry course. They weren't difficult as such, but the lecturers were terrible. The first had absolutely terrible presentation skills, the second spoke terrible English. When I looked at NA a few years later, I thought "How on earth did I have problems with this?"

My background is mathematical statistics. I've often heard that stats was the most difficult, particularly for non-STEM students e.g. psychology, sociology. I was once asked by a friend to help a non-science student who was having trouble with the Wilkinson non-parametric test. If you know this test, you'd ask "How can anyone have trouble with this? It's about the simplest test there is." I asked to look at her notes. The lecturer had turned something simple into something torturous. ***I*** didn't understand it. And she wasn't the only one. I used to tutor non-STEM students in stats (hey, they pay) and heard the same story again and again. Stats is the worst taught subject in Arts/Humanities.

And welcome to the forum, Timj.
17-06-2015, 12:19 PM
The most difficult classes for me were the ones I was the least interested in, because it took more effort to get myself to learn the material. (most of the introductory courses for instance that were not related to geology and primarily because they cover so many disparate topics in a single semester).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
17-06-2015, 02:36 PM
(17-06-2015 12:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The most difficult classes for me were the ones I was the least interested in, because it took more effort to get myself to learn the material. (most of the introductory courses for instance that were not related to geology and primarily because they cover so many disparate topics in a single semester).

I completely agree! I would prefer to take any physics or mathematics class over any of my general electives any day.
[+] 1 user Likes Timj's post
17-06-2015, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015 04:07 PM by cactus.)
Diff Eq 2. None of it was applied in any sort of meaningful way. No word problems, just straight case-by-case memorization of how to solve really specific types of differential equations that had no practical value to me whatsoever. I forgot it all the day after the final.
The easiest classes for me were Physics 1 and compressible fluid dynamics.

Volleyball was a fun class, too Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
17-06-2015, 09:58 PM
They were challenging to be sure, but I found most of them were fun.

The thing is, while I was in a STEM class, I felt like I was learning something new everyday. There were exceptions, such as introductory complex calculus, but such was life. And later physics courses tend to emphasize less on memorizing formulae and more on deriving results from first principles--I really enjoyed these later courses. That said, why they were challenging, I didn't find them to be the hardest. Those belong to a select number of general education courses that required constant attentions, were significantly politicized (or at least emphasized politics and/or social justice), and often times had essays that were so 'fluffy' that it basically boiled down to my opinion. The end result was a need to bullshit an essay, but because of my science background, bullshitting isn't something that comes easily.
[+] 2 users Like ZoraPrime's post
19-06-2015, 02:44 PM
(17-06-2015 04:04 PM)cactus Wrote:  Diff Eq 2. None of it was applied in any sort of meaningful way. No word problems, just straight case-by-case memorization of how to solve really specific types of differential equations that had no practical value to me whatsoever. I forgot it all the day after the final.
The easiest classes for me were Physics 1 and compressible fluid dynamics.

Volleyball was a fun class, too Smile

Ah, volleyball! My 1st college degree was in healthcare, so I had to take several biology classes. I LOVED a pottery class that I once took as an elective. On the other hand, I had to take 2 microbiology classes and I absolutely HATED it. It was not difficult, but was just about as interesting as watching paint dry. It was terrible!
24-06-2015, 05:50 PM
BSCS and MSCS here. CHEM was the hardest for me. Tried to take it 3x and dropped it every time when I realized "You fuckers are just making this shit up aren't you? You're not chemists, you're fucking alchemists."

(19-06-2015 02:44 PM)Timj Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 04:04 PM)cactus Wrote:  Volleyball was a fun class, too Smile

Ah, volleyball!

I took every volleyball class UMCP offered. The teacher would throw double negatives and all sorta linguistic curveballs into her written exams. I felt sorry for my classmates which hadn't had Logic 101 yet. They were fucked.

#sigh
24-06-2015, 05:55 PM
We had sort of an "organic chem lite" in my chem 2 lab, and I thought my brain was going to explode. None of it made any sense to me. I studied my ass off and made a B on the final, though. I'm really glad I only had to take two chemistry classes.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
24-06-2015, 07:16 PM
BS Electrical Engineering.... hardest for me was Chemistry for two reasons: 1. Lack of interest. 2. It was an 8am class and I rarely made to bed before 3am. My professor actually stopped class once and had someone sitting near me wake me up. Not that he cared whether or not I slept, but because I was apparently snoring loud enough that I was disrupting his lecture.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post