College/Progress

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2016, 11:24 PM
RE: College/Progress
Very, very glad to hear that you're enjoying college and that you're in a good environment.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
29-08-2016, 09:44 AM
This will be year 12 of college for me. No So ready to be done.

Glad it is starting off well. TAKE NOTES! Hand write them!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
29-08-2016, 10:15 AM
It always sounds trite when I say "Hang in there, things get better" ... but SEE, they DO !!
Tongue
(And BTW we TOLD you so)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2016, 10:48 AM
(29-08-2016 09:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This will be year 12 of college for me. No So ready to be done.

Great advice. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-08-2016, 10:52 AM
(29-08-2016 10:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 09:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This will be year 12 of college for me. No So ready to be done.

Great advice. Thumbsup

Bah. Never took a single note in my entire collegiate experience. How can I pay attention if I'm busy trying to keep up with my note taking? And besides it's all in the $150 textbook they forced me to buy anyway. Different strokes.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-08-2016, 11:01 AM
(29-08-2016 10:52 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 10:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Great advice. Thumbsup

Bah. Never took a single note in my entire collegiate experience. How can I pay attention if I'm busy trying to keep up with my note taking? And besides it's all in the $150 textbook they forced me to buy anyway. Different strokes.

I figured out back in high school that taking handwritten notes was the best way for me to retain information. When I went back to school the concept of highlighting in textbooks made me queasy...I had been taught at a very early age not to write in books.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-08-2016, 11:02 AM
(29-08-2016 10:52 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 10:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Great advice. Thumbsup

Most of my classes didn't have textbooks they rigorously followed because no one textbook had everything we covered in lecture.

My invertebrate zoology course for instance used some of the most up to date phylogenies for covering different taxa and there are no textbooks that can keep up with the constantly changing relationships among the invertebrates.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
29-08-2016, 11:12 AM
(29-08-2016 11:02 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My invertebrate zoology course for instance used some of the most up to date phylogenies for covering different taxa and there are no textbooks that can keep up with the constantly changing relationships among the invertebrates.

Sounds sexy. There was no interwebz when I was a lad who had to walk to school. With no shoes. In the snow. Carrying 30 lbs of books. With no backpack. And the conferences were far far fewer than they are today. And the conferences were held in less esteem than journals. Today it's the journals who can't keep up with the conferences let alone text books. But still. Why take notes when you have the conference proceedings and journal articles for free?

(29-08-2016 11:01 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 10:52 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bah. Never took a single note in my entire collegiate experience. How can I pay attention if I'm busy trying to keep up with my note taking? And besides it's all in the $150 textbook they forced me to buy anyway. Different strokes.

I figured out back in high school that taking handwritten notes was the best way for me to retain information. When I went back to school the concept of highlighting in textbooks made me queasy...I had been taught at a very early age not to write in books.

Never highlighted a textbook either. Just another form of note taking. Like I said, different strokes.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-08-2016, 11:16 AM
My dad took tons of notes when he was in vet school. I remember him telling me that when exams came around it didn't matter what was right or not...what mattered was what the professor thought was right. I guess that may be when he decided to study more from his notes than from his books.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-08-2016, 11:26 AM
(29-08-2016 11:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My dad took tons of notes when he was in vet school. I remember him telling me that when exams came around it didn't matter what was right or not...what mattered was what the professor thought was right. I guess that may be when he decided to study more from his notes than from his books.

That's a good reason. When I was at uni many of the textbooks I had were written by the professors looking for some sales. I mean like any sales.