College again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2010, 02:10 PM
College again
Hey I am back at college getting ready for my senior year. I am taking Sociology of religion. So I am sure to learn some things in there relating to religion. Maybe I will learn exactly why religion sticks around so much!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2010, 02:15 PM

RE: College again
Perhaps it's because the recruiters don't understand "go away!" or "get off my lawn!"
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2010, 03:24 PM
My text book said only 16 percent of teens in the United States are non religious but I thought it was much higher than that. Also, what is it in Europe? I think it is much higher.
21-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Just because it is in a textbook doesn't make it fact.
Few teens have a choice of what religion they are forced into. At least until they are older. Basically it is the beliefs of the parents forced on the children.
The only kid I've ever known to have a choice was my own son. When he was young I kept my opinions to myself, actually encouraged education in several religions so he could make a logical choice for himself.
It didn't take him long to decide he was an Athiest too.
Poor kid thought I'd be mad when he came to me and said he had enough. He explained what he didn't like and why. He made perfect sense. I'm still proud of him for thinking for himself and coming to a logical conclusion.
21-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah I think the book is biased. It is a christian based book, and won the 2006 christianity today book award for christianity and culture. I am going to discuss this book with my professor. Also, I think in Europe over 50 percent of people my age are non religious.
21-08-2010, 03:58 PM

I suspect you are headed for some interesting research. I believe most myths and legends contain some degree of fact however I also believe that people have distorted facts to suit thier own agenda. With intense study you have a much better chance of making sense of at least some of it.
22-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Western Europe and Japan are very secular. And coincidentally, they are also some of the best maintained societies on the planet. In Newsweek's survey of the best countries in the world, more secular countries ranked higher than the US in almost every category-

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/inter...tries.html
22-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/inter...tries.html
Ooh, so thats why the trash magazines have been praising ''were the best'' so much lately, we're number one! Suck on that godless Sweden!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
22-08-2010, 01:42 PM
The rankings don't surprise me. If the United States were to become more secular then we would probably get a better ranking, but number eleven is not too bad. It was like thirteen back when I was in high school. Also, with a more liberal goverment I think our country will become more secular and thus get ranked better in the future. We americans need to realize that we are not the best country, but I love this country and know that it is a great place to live. Again though, this country needs to become more secular and thus become an even better place to live.