College seminar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2011, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 07:40 PM by ghostexorcist.)
College seminar
I noticed a folded card stock flyer on my table while eating lunch today. It was an advertisement for a 5 week seminar hosted by the Campus Crusaders for Christ student club called “Does God Exist? - Building the Scientific Case". Here it is (I set the front and back side-by-side so you wouldn't have to read it upside down):

[Image: funnychristianstuff.png]

I didn't really get a chance to read it fully until I got home. I was surprised to see that it didn’t have any type of accompanying web address (for these things usually do). I’ve never heard of a “DVD seminar,” so I had to find out more about it. I found this seminar kit produced by Focus on the Family, a non-profit evangelical organization. It says the kit "is the perfect resource for students preparing to enter college and a culture that may be hostile to their faith.” Guess who the major contributors is ... wait for it ... Steven Myers. I thought this thing stunk of irreducible complexity.

I love how the flyer perpetuates the whole "your professors are keeping the truth from you" falsehood. I also love the theme for the fifth seminar too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
RE: College seminar
God... not them again. They have been around since forever. Maybe the 1940's????

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
06-10-2011, 02:21 AM
(05-10-2011 07:18 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I noticed a folded card stock flyer on my table while eating lunch today. It was an advertisement for a 5 week seminar hosted by the Campus Crusaders for Christ student club called “Does God Exist? - Building the Scientific Case". Here it is (I set the front and back side-by-side so you wouldn't have to read it upside down):

[Image: funnychristianstuff.png]

I didn't really get a chance to read it fully until I got home. I was surprised to see that it didn’t have any type of accompanying web address (for these things usually do). I’ve never heard of a “DVD seminar,” so I had to find out more about it. I found this seminar kit produced by Focus on the Family, a non-profit evangelical organization. It says the kit "is the perfect resource for students preparing to enter college and a culture that may be hostile to their faith.” Guess who the major contributors is ... wait for it ... Steven Myers. I thought this thing stunk of irreducible complexity.

I love how the flyer perpetuates the whole "your professors are keeping the truth from you" falsehood. I also love the theme for the fifth seminar too.

Focus On Family has been classed as a hate group by some human rights societies.... Just pointing things out.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
You've got to give them credit for being so inventive and sneaky...
I'm not capable of manipulating people the way some creationists do. I wonder where you can learn those skills? Big Grin

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Well Thammuz the answer is simple of course. The Bible. Remember that it gives you all the morals you need. It is chock full on lessons for living your life, and how to interact with people. Lie, cheat, kill, indoctrinate, it's all in there. Silly Thammuz.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
You've got a point. But I wonder if the book alone could give you this mentality? The bible is great for cherry picking any subject you want, as well as the desired outcome. But the entire marketing plan for the modern world that some display, that's truly something well organized.

The Roman catholic church has a long history of hunger for power, political intrigues and the nasty habit of creating a monopoly on ceremonies (weddings, funerals etc.). Most splinter groups (like this one) however don't have this 'rich' history. So I wonder how they get their plans together. They often come with the same old tiresome arguments, but I'm sometimes surprised how they manage to mix real, recent science with lies and fallacious arguments, as to convince those in doubt. Maybe they have a bullshit creation software of some sort that gets updated every once in a while? Or they bought some stuff from Kent Hovind's webshop. Somewhat fascinating and irritating at the same time, but I don't feel like researching it right now. Never mind.

06-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Bullshit creation software is comedy gold Thammuz and I am stealing it. Consider yourself warned as I will make no mention of you having said it first, matter of fact if asked it was me who came up it. I am a genius. MWAhahahahah.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
06-10-2011, 11:51 PM
(06-10-2011 07:08 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Bullshit creation software is comedy gold Thammuz and I am stealing it. Consider yourself warned as I will make no mention of you having said it first, matter of fact if asked it was me who came up it. I am a genius. MWAhahahahah.

Subtle way of hiding your plan to the rest of the world Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
09-10-2011, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 05:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
Jesus Fucking Christ. It's almost to the point where everyone needs to take a course in Epistemology 101 just to innoculate themselves against this disease.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-10-2011, 09:47 AM
One way that the various clubs and sororities advertise the events they are holding on campus is to hang weighted bed sheets from trees. They are painted with big words advertising the time and place. Well, the campus fundies hosting the aforementioned "Does God Exist?" DVD Seminar are REALLY trying their best to let as many people know about this as possible. They hung a huge sheet up in front of a heavy traffic side entrance of the Shriver Center, which is the school welcoming center, book store, and main cafeteria. Needless to say, a lot of people are going to see this. I also think that they are trying to attract non-religious groups as well. The sheet is very succinct. It just says "Does God exist? Prove it! Every Tuesday 7-8:30 pm". If I wasn't already aware of the seminar, I would have thought it was an atheist type event. I wouldn't be surprised if more scientifically-minded people attending the event (religious or otherwise) are ejected for pointing out fallacies.