College sucks!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2016, 09:44 PM
College sucks!
I'm 25 years old and am trying to get myself back in school and make something of myself. I was a terrible student the first time around and failed out of my first college. I spent three years there and never made it beyond freshman status even. I used to care less about education and was very stupid and arrogant. When I became an atheist I started valuing education and enlightenment and wanted to go on to seek the highest education I could.

The thing I've come to realize is that when you're an older student who didn't have such a good experience the first time around, the best you're going to get is a community college or crappy state university education. The serious schools will not even entertain the idea of you. It's like when fail and make this mistake colleges are instantly like "LOSER, WORTHLESS, INCOMPETENT, NO YOU CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!" Any effort to redeem yourself is going to cost you loads of time and money that you will just never have.

I've been looking around at top schools which I might be able to work my way towards gaining admission to. I'm from Tennessee, so Vanderbilt is like our Harvard or Yale. I know they wouldn't touch me with a Jupiter-sized object so I looked elsewhere. I found the College of William and Mary, the very prestigious and historic state-university that is among the rank of "public ivies". I was instantly excited about it. It had my name all over it and seemed like the perfect option for me. It turns out that it has a partnership with 23 community colleges in the state of Virginia that have paths to guaranteed admission to W&M upon completion and these CCs are open-enrollment. I thought it too good to be true.

The sad part is, while the admission aspect of it is NOT too good to be true, the cost of it is the catch. It's not that any of these CCs are any more expensive than the one I'm going to now, it's just that I'm out-of-state, and out-of-state tuition is just ruthlessly expensive. They literally make it it an act of Yahweh to establish residence so there is no way I will get to benefit from in-state tuition. That pretty much ends my hopes of it.

The college system does not cater to older, non-traditional people like me. It is meant for the little snot-nosed brats coming out of high school still getting their asses wiped by mommy and daddy. They will give them scholarships, housing, and allow them to partake in sports, clubs, and all those other things. People like me better be thankful we're even allowed to step our filthy, undesirable on campus and had better not ask for anything more. That's how these college policies feel to people like me. It's elitist and unfair.

I may be a little whinny bitch who doesn't understand what he's talking about and only sees one side to this matter. If so, please advise. Otherwise, this was just a rant. Any conversation on the matter wold be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
08-05-2016, 10:53 PM
RE: College sucks!
This sounds more than a little familiar. My first stab at college was a dismal train wreck that I didn't have the sense to stop watching. I was young, stupid, unmotivated and didn't realise that the degree I was in wasn't something I wanted to do. I didn't have the sense to switch because "I'd be letting everybody down." Six years later I finally graduated with a useless BSc Biology and a GPA hovering just above the failure line. I spent the next three years discovering that the job market was a smidge oversaturated with similar people who never became doctors or geneticists like they'd been led to believe.

One summer, in the midst of some particularly hellish part-time work, I decided that it was past time to go back and get it done right. I went back, hit the books hard, nearly went insane for a semester but managed to pull straight A's.

I'm guessing that your problem largely has to do with the way US universities are set up. Your best bet might be to do a year in the "crappy state university" and then try and transfer up. If you really need to. Unless the state school is vastly inferior it likely won't matter. Unless you're going into something snobby and prestigious then neither the name of your school nor your GPA will matter much to future employers. Solid reccomendations from your profs are worth more than your grades. Most employers will need to teach you what they want done anyway so they don't care much about which school you got some course from that's nearly useless to them. They'll be more interested in whether you have the basics, learn fast and have a good personality.

If you're up for a change you might consider a Canadian school, depending on what you want to go into. You'll have some fun with Immigration and the tuition will be out-of-country, but that's still often better than many in-state tuitions in the US. McGill and Memorial both have relatively low-cost tuition and solid programs. Since you're a foreign student there will be stoopid paperwork though so you'll need to get on it if you don't want to miss a semester.

Your best bet is probably to hit the state university and do a solid degree with good grades and profs that will remember you fondly to prospective employers.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
08-05-2016, 11:16 PM
The name of the college matters to me. You might as well not try to argue with me on this because I my beliefs are dogmatic and unwavering on this. The name brand off the college matters to me. I want to tell people I went to Vanderbilt or Duke or Harvard or William and Mary. It's not out of merely elitist or snobby reasons (though I have to say, I want the prestige that goes along with that), but it's mostly about the atmosphere and environment of prestigious universities. When you go to these shitty state universities, you are there with people who care more about the god damn football team than gaining education or knowledge, and a bunch of people going to become nurses or physical ed teachers. Nothing wrong with those things, the world needs them, but that's not the environment I want to be in. I'm going to for the EDUCATION, not to get a piece of paper so I can get a job. That has very little to do with why I'm pursuing education now. I'm entering a computer science degree and plan to do a Phd. Top schools like Ivies and other top private research colleges will not accept applicants from bumfuck little state universities for their Phd programs. Graduating William and Mary would almost guarantee me admission into at least one or two off these big schools.

I know I sound crazy or unreasonable but that's where I'm at currently. I will do whatever it takes to achieve this.
08-05-2016, 11:27 PM
A solid network, a nice suit, the ability to make a good first impression, and a finely tuned killer instinct are more useful than most degrees.

A college education certainly can be in important piece of the puzzle. But it isn't the only route to success, and as more people assume that it is they end up letting the process of getting the degree set them back more than the competition of the degree moves them forward.

That said, whatever choice you make, don't worry about what the above mentioned snot nosed kids think. The only people whose onions matter are those whose approval you need in order to reach your objective.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
08-05-2016, 11:34 PM
(08-05-2016 11:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  A solid network, a nice suit, the ability to make a good first impression, and a finely tuned killer instinct are more useful than most degrees.

A college education certainly can be in important piece of the puzzle. But it isn't the only route to success, and as more people assume that it is they end up letting the process of getting the degree set them back more than the competition of the degree moves them forward.

That said, whatever choice you make, don't worry about what the above mentioned snot nosed kids think. The only people whose onions matter are those whose approval you need in order to reach your objective.

Probably true. But no one's going to change my mind about wanting to go to a top school. You are much more likely to meet more distinguished professors and connections at those schools than any other. They are the nation's best for a reason.
08-05-2016, 11:36 PM
I left school, aged 8. I attempted to return in my teens to a private school and paid all my own fees. The school had no rules. Not one.

I got asked quietly to leave.

I then went on to have a marvellous life as a musician and martial artist.

My brother, highly intelligent, never finished his schooling either. He now runs a production company worldwide and is currently working in LA.

My point is that schooling is not that important. What is important is drive and determination and a goal. Once you figure out what you want to do, do it.

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-05-2016, 11:41 PM
(08-05-2016 11:36 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I left school, aged 8. I attempted to return in my teens to a private school and paid all my own fees. The school had no rules. Not one.

My brother, highly intelligent, never finished his schooling either. He now runs a production company worldwide and is currently working in LA.

My point is that schooling is not that important. What is important is drive and determination and a goal. Once you figure out what you want to do, do it.

Good luck.
I will repeat this one more time. I don't give a fuck about jobs or success in the work force. I know that will happen anyway. My purpose for going to college is the education itself. I'm NOT going to college to get a degree so I can get a job. I can get a job regardless of degree. My concern is to go to an elite school and get and elite education. That's it.
08-05-2016, 11:48 PM
(08-05-2016 11:34 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 11:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  A solid network, a nice suit, the ability to make a good first impression, and a finely tuned killer instinct are more useful than most degrees.

Probably true. But no one's going to change my mind about wanting to go to a top school. You are much more likely to meet more distinguished professors and connections at those schools than any other. They are the nation's best for a reason.

For sure, and if you believe that's the best path then go for it. Just make sure you do it with a clear objective. Even the best schools with the most hypothetically marketable degrees don't necessarily guarantee success, nor are they required for it.

Admittedly, I'm biased. I did dabble in school, mostly just to burn through my GI Bill because why not, even doing a year in Zhejiang University which is considered Chinese Ivy League. Alas, I have the attention span of a 4 year old but the drive and aggression of a barbarian warlord, so I chose a different path more in line with my strengths and less dependent on my weaknesses.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
08-05-2016, 11:51 PM
(08-05-2016 11:41 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 11:36 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I left school, aged 8. I attempted to return in my teens to a private school and paid all my own fees. The school had no rules. Not one.

Good luck.
I will repeat this one more time. I don't give a fuck about jobs or success in the work force. I know that will happen anyway. My purpose for going to college is the education itself. I'm NOT going to college to get a degree so I can get a job. I can get a job regardless of degree. My concern is to go to an elite school and get and elite education. That's it.

Then go to the library, like I did. I am possibly the most well read man you have ever met.

I was told this by a professor of ancient Greek history.

I began with early Greek literature. From there I went to Roman literature and continued through the centuries. Byzantine, Chinese, Korean, English etc etc. Mainly history and great novels. War and peace and The Karamazov brothers, with The three Musketeers being among my favorites. Dante of course, and mentioning Dante one cannot ignore Sophocles.

Later I got heavily into philosophy. Read all the greats.

I did miss things like mathematics and physics. Something I regret. However I could quote any line from Shakespeare for years.

My point is not to show off, but to point out the fact this is all available to you. Indeed, many books I paid money for are now free to read on the web.

If I can do it, you can do better.

As I said, good luck to you. You have my most sincere wishes. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-05-2016, 11:52 PM
(08-05-2016 11:41 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I know that will happen anyway.

In that case, your worries are unfounded. At the ripe old age of 25, you'll fit right in Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
Thread Closed