College sucks!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 12:06 AM
RE: College sucks!
(08-05-2016 11:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 11:41 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I know that will happen anyway.

In that case, your worries are unfounded. At the ripe old age of 25, you'll fit right in Smile

I think you know what I meant by this post. A job will come. I'm not worried about that. It's finding my way into one of these schools that is the worry. W&M will be easy for me to gain entrance to, but almost impossible to pay for.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Tamiptump's post
09-05-2016, 01:14 AM
I guess these colleges try to weed out people like me, that's why we hit roadblocks on every entryway into these institutions. If its not our past faults causing them to deny us admission, its the price of tuition.
[+] 1 user Likes Tamiptump's post
09-05-2016, 01:21 AM
(09-05-2016 01:14 AM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I guess these colleges try to weed out people like me, that's why we hit roadblocks on every entryway into these institutions. If its not our past faults causing them to deny us admission, its the price of tuition.

Seems to be the case. The Patricians share with the Plebeians?

Just look at how Gaius Sempronius Gracchus suffered for that cause. Murdered and dumped in a river.

History repeats.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-05-2016, 01:46 AM
I get it. I'll go away.
09-05-2016, 01:47 AM
(09-05-2016 01:46 AM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I get it. I'll go away.

What? Did I somehow offend you? If so, it was accidental. Huh

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
09-05-2016, 01:56 AM
(09-05-2016 01:47 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:46 AM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I get it. I'll go away.

What? Did I somehow offend you? If so, it was accidental. Huh

I just thought you were poking fun at me. I can already see the demise of this thread. It's probably my fault.
09-05-2016, 02:03 AM
(09-05-2016 01:56 AM)Tamiptump Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:47 AM)Banjo Wrote:  What? Did I somehow offend you? If so, it was accidental. Huh

I just thought you were poking fun at me. I can already see the demise of this thread. It's probably my fault.

No mate. Not at all.

You will soon discover if you stay, I take any opportunity to mention Rome. I am nutty as a fruitcake about it and its history.

Your thread is fine. I meant what I said about wishing you luck. I even gave you a good luck rep point earlier.

You seem fine to me. Hang around for a while and get to know these people. Most are simply wonderful and supportive.

If I do accidentally insult you, be sure to read my signature. It is a fact. That is why I put it there.

Good luck. Welcome to the site. And do try to be patient with my Roman obsession. Smile

Banjo.
09-05-2016, 02:26 AM
Thanks Banjo.

The truth is, I AM a loser in nearly every measurable sense. My desire to attend a top college is something of a double-edged sword. I truly do want the experience, but I also see it as necessary to redeem myself from a lifetime of utter stupidity. Its the only way people will take me seriously. I will still be the stupid, unlikable moron in their eyes if I graduate from a crappy state school.

I'm too old to redeem my self-worth though. I consider suicide every day. I really wish I could just do it. Life will never be good for me. I'm too mentally flawed.
09-05-2016, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 02:55 AM by Banjo.)
(09-05-2016 02:26 AM)Tamiptump Wrote:  Thanks Banjo.

The truth is, I AM a loser in nearly every measurable sense. My desire to attend a top college is something of a double-edged sword. I truly do want the experience, but I also see it as necessary to redeem myself from a lifetime of utter stupidity. Its the only way people will take me seriously. I will still be the stupid, unlikable moron in their eyes if I graduate from a crappy state school.

I'm too old to redeem my self-worth though. I consider suicide every day. I really wish I could just do it. Life will never be good for me. I'm too mentally flawed.

Okay, hang on.

First off, I do not believe I am currently conversing with a loser. Nor somebody I consider stupid.

I too contemplated suicide. Seriously. Standing on the rail of a very tall bridge ready to jump. For some reason I decided no. I would try a bit harder. My childhood was not a normal one. I was used and abused for many years. My own mother tried to kill me.

Happily I lived and went on to meet people and have experiences I did not expect. This had a flow on effect in that it also helped others.

The first thing to do, and it is hard, is to try and overcome this negative view of yourself. In my experience we have trouble judging ourselves. We are too close to the subject matter. Better to get a trusted onlooker to help.

As far as I can tell, all you need is a direction. Take the time to figure out what you want. How to please yourself. Then go for it.

Back in the mid nineties I fractured my spine. I am lucky I can walk. However it cost me my martial arts career and very nearly my musical career. I took this time to study other instruments. Before I knew it I was a multi instrumentalist. I managed to fight and regained that career. I then lost it again in 2014 when struck down with a very serious cancer that saw me spend 10 months in hospital. I have been on chemo going on 20 months. However I am determined to fight my way back.

I too grew up thinking I was stupid. Happily a chance meeting with a genius changed my life. He told me I was not stupid. He then handed me a book. This is when my reading, serious reading began. I taught myself.

As I said in an earlier post, I used the library. And I treated great authors like great musicians. I would find out who inspired them, then read them and so on and so forth.

But my official schooling ended in 1972, aged 8.

This site recently lost a dear member to suicide. As a mate of mine said to me, "Suicide is a permanent sollution to a temporary problem."

I tend to agree.

I believe you can do what you set your mind too. So just go for it. If like me, you are at rock bottom, the only way is up.

Definitely stick around this forum. Many wise kind and intelligent people inhabit this community. Get to know them. They have literally pulled me away from death.

25 may seem old to you right now, but it really is not. There was a musician who began playing at 22. He went on to become one of the most recorded musicians in history.

Take a little time. Ask questions of those here. People are here to help. Indeed, I owe them my life. Seriously.

Life has its ups and downs. That is for sure. But it is good to live. The alternative offers nothing.

Take it from a guy who is hanging on tooth and nail to continue living. I was supposed to die in 2014. I am still here. I will offer any help to you I can.

Welcome to this site.

Yours. Dale

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-05-2016, 03:22 AM
Self-entitlement is a real problem these days.

First of all, congratulations on your decision to get back into school. I was faced with a similar reckoning after a hiatus from college as well. It’s a big decision and the reward is so sweet when you finally taste success after so much failure.

I don’t know what your beef is with state universities, especially given that your chosen school is one of those crappy, public, state-funded institutions. But, hey! Whatever floats your boat. Don’t be so fast to knock these public schools, though, especially given that you’re not currently “good enough” to attend one. I am presently enrolled in one of those crappy state universities now, and I’m pretty sure you’d piss your pants if you sat through a few of my classes.

You screwed up when you were younger (something I can personally relate to), and the truth of the matter is that you don’t get to go to one of those schools until you fix your grades. You earn the privilege to attend. These institutions have a reputation to uphold. They want to continue being known for producing quality, educated degree holders and their best chances for doing that is to accept the best possible students. You’re currently not one of those students.

You have to go to crappy community college to redeem yourself. And you know what? You might have to take a few remedial courses, too! That’s okay! … It’s actually a good thing. –And by the way, I had a calculus professor at community college who carried a PhD in mathematics from one of those crappy state universities that you turn your nose up at. He’d quite happily remind you with each quiz and test that the curriculum at community college is the exact same as it is at state university.

Once you get your AA, you’ll probably be guaranteed admission to crappy state universities like William and Mary. Think of your AA as make-up high school. Maintain a 4.0 (or at least a +3.8), get involved in clubs, internship opportunities, and honors programs, and make solid contacts who can write you letters of recommendation, then you’ll be back on equal footing with the high school kids who are getting into these private universities. They’re doing the work… that’s why they’re getting into these schools. If you do the work, you’ll have every opportunity that you would have had years ago. Then your Bachelor’s degree will be from the university of your choosing, and your AA degree won’t ever even be looked at.

Regarding the age gap, major universities (public or private) do not cater to people like you and me. This is nothing personal. This is about numbers. The vast majority of students are entering immediately after high school. They’re simply catering to the demands of their clientele. You have to cleave to them, not the other way around.

It comes down to this, you are not in an ideal situation and you’re never going to have the opportunity to go back and fix the past. Moving forward, you have to decide which sucks least: Do you prefer to serve French fries for the rest of your life, or do you prefer to suck it up and go to community college so you can go on to university and earn a proper degree?
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
Thread Closed