College sucks!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 11:44 PM
RE: College sucks!
(09-05-2016 11:37 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 10:52 PM)Nurse Wrote:  No one gives a damn where I went to college, they care about my experience. My

I have explained this at least five times now. I don't care about what job it will get me, or whether or not the degrees amount to the same thing in the job world. I don't give a damn about that. I'm going for the experience of a prestigious school, the world-class education, and purely for the satisfaction of knowing that I did it. I don't give a damn if anyone thinks those are bad reasons. If my purpose was just to get a degree to qualify for some job, I'd stay at home and do a god damn online degree or something. It's the experience and education of a top school that I want FIRST AND FOREMOST. I'm not doing college for the purpose of getting a degree to get a job. Call me an asshole with a shitty attitude. Whatever. I AM an asshole with a shitty attitude!

Quote:And don't knock UT because they have stupid football fans. Not all of their fans actually went to school there...

Exactly! The only people who care about schools like UT are fat, beer-gutted, old southern men who have nothing to do with the college, have confederate flags in their front yards and probably don't even know that UT is a school. I want to go somewhere that is synonymous with being smart, worldly, and world-class in education. Saying you went to UT is like saying "I'm a mediocre student who scraped by in high school and decided at the last minute to go to college." That's how I view it anyway. It is run-of-the-mill at best, and I am looking for more than that. I want to go to a school that will get me into top grad schools and perhaps get into scientific research or something of the sort.

Once again, I'm going to play Sam Harris here. Please don't conflate what I'm saying. I'm sure these schools I am dissing here are perfectly good schools. I'm sure the education is fine. But they're not top-tier. They are not what I'm looking for. End of story.

My siblings and cousins all went to top schools. My brother went to Duke, my sister went to Emory, and my cousins went to Vandy and Yale. I, on the other hand, failed out of the nearest shitty state university from our house, and that school only conditionally admitted me in the first place. How pathetic is that?

Awesome. So you have your plan. No one is stopping you and you clearly don't need advice from us in executing it. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
09-05-2016, 11:54 PM
(09-05-2016 11:44 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Awesome. So you have your plan. No one is stopping you and you clearly don't need advice from us in executing it. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

No I don't. I don't have a plan.
09-05-2016, 11:58 PM
(09-05-2016 01:21 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:14 AM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I guess these colleges try to weed out people like me, that's why we hit roadblocks on every entryway into these institutions. If its not our past faults causing them to deny us admission, its the price of tuition.

Seems to be the case. The Patricians share with the Plebeians?

Just look at how Gaius Sempronius Gracchus suffered for that cause. Murdered and dumped in a river.

History repeats.

Im just listening (for the upteenth time) to the "death throes of the republic" podcast by Dan Carlin. Just finished Gaius and Tiberius Gracchus and am at Marius & Sulla. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
10-05-2016, 12:05 AM
(09-05-2016 06:56 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I think that I see your problem:

Quote:The college system does not cater to older, non-traditional people like me. It is meant for the little snot-nosed brats... It's elitist and unfair.
Quote:My concern is to go to an elite school and get and elite education. That's it.

I'll assume that you can spot the contradiction.

Quote:The name of the college matters to me. You might as well not try to argue with me on this because I my beliefs are dogmatic and unwavering on this.

I believe that you have identified the source of your misery.

Quote:Its the only way people will take me seriously. I will still be the stupid, unlikable moron in their eyes if I graduate from a crappy state school.

And here's the real problem. You don't want the education, you want the acceptance. Now that I can understand. Here's what you need to do:

(1) Check to make sure that you don't already have it. You're at exactly the right age to be as stupid as I was about that. Don't mistake your parents' expectations for their love and approval. Talk to them. Face to face and in person. It's going to be hard but it's a vital first step. Unless I'm badly mistaken it will pay off and you can ignore the rest of my ramblings.

(2)
Fuck them and the inbred nag they rode in on

Any parent who can't love their child because they didn't get into an ivy league school should be sterilized for the good of the species. It may be a damned hard lesson for you but you may be luckless enough to have utter bastards for parents. Hang around here and you'll find that you're in good company. A few of our members have suffered unspeakably at the hands of their familes for no geater transgression than not believing in their imaginary friend.

It's my sincerest hope that this is not the case. Nobody deserves that.

(3) Go to state for a year. Get the basic math and programming skills that you'll need for a Comp Sci degree. Work your balls off. This is how you prove to the big name schools that you have what it takes. If you're smart you'll finish your undergrad here. It'll be of more use. If not then...

(4) Apply to your ivy league school if you must. Get the rest of your degree there. It's a waste in my unhumble opinion but if that's what you need then so be it. Work like a bastard and get your degree with solid grades and references. I fear that you are in for a rude awakening regarding the image vs. the substance of a prestigious school's academic merits but it's your choice.

(5) Apply to CalTech or MIT for your graduate work. Nobody gives a flying fuck about a Comp Sci PhD from an ivy league school. These are the places with the academic prestige. These are the universities that can pick and choose from the nation's brightest rather than the nation's most pampered. They're unlikely to be impressed by a diploma from an ivy league school. They know better. You'll need solid grades, good references and a few contacts but hard work in your undergrad will get you that.

Quote:I also see it as necessary to redeem myself from a lifetime of utter stupidity.

Don't be absurd. You're 25, you haven't had a lifetime of anything yet. You have an exciting and wonderful career of unalloyed idiocy yet to come. Welcome to the species.

Quote:I consider suicide every day.

On the bright side, every day you consider suicide is one more day that you draw breath.

My brother never contemplated suicide. Paranoid schizophrenia drove him mad and one night he simply walked out into a blizzard so that he wouldn't spend another night tormented by demons.

Feel free to drop me a note if you need any more of my sage advise.

Signed

Sometimes i just love this fucking forum so much.
Clap

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
10-05-2016, 01:15 AM
I know you guys are over this thread, but I was just kind of wondering something:

Assuming I go to W&M, it will require two years of attending one of their community colleges so I can go through the co-enrollment program to gain entrance into W&M. Why could I not use those two years to establish residence? Would the state not grant it to me?
10-05-2016, 05:12 AM
(10-05-2016 01:15 AM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I know you guys are over this thread, but I was just kind of wondering something:

Assuming I go to W&M, it will require two years of attending one of their community colleges so I can go through the co-enrollment program to gain entrance into W&M. Why could I not use those two years to establish residence? Would the state not grant it to me?

That information would be best answered by a rep of the Virginia state college system. Why don't you contact them? My hunch is that they are going to require that you have lived there for a while before starting community college to be considered eligible for in-state tuition, but it's your job to do the research.

Good luck in getting admission to the college of your choice, and I hope that W&M will provide you with a good education, if you manage to get in. At least the opportunity to get a good education will be there. I hope by the time you get there you'll be a little less rigid and disdainful towards other people. My sense is that those traits are getting in your way IRL, as they are on this forum.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
10-05-2016, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 08:58 AM by Aliza.)
Julep is right. Contact the admissions counselor of W&M. This is your homework to do. The people on this forum have put time and energy in trying to have a conversation with you and provide you with useful information to get you thinking. You’ve thanked us by having childish meltdowns, and a bizarre, negative attitude about yourself, us and our "two-bit," "shitty" educations. I won’t pander to your temper tantrums.

Little friendly tip to help you start your search: Find out how much you can actually borrow for school. It’s cute and sweet to think the government and private loan agencies are willing to put $250,000 into your education without any concrete guarantee of return, but that may not be the reality. You should check.

Find out what happens if you default on these loans. Can you declare bankruptcy to make them go away or do they haunt you for the rest of your life? Find out. This is really important. If you don’t understand the long term ramifications of your loans, you could ruin your life.

Good luck in your education.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
10-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Actually, colleges and universities are doing more than they ever have to cater to "non-traditional" students (older students and/or those going back to school). But yes, some universities do this more than others. State schools for instance cater to much larger populations by default, than private universities.

But that's not the problem you're facing, you're facing a problem where a college that has far more qualified applicants than it can accept in a year, is highly selective about who it admits. That has more to do with why "non-traditional" students go to smaller state schools or community colleges, not because the bigger universities and/or private universities are "elitist."

And in-state vs out-of-state is a headache no matter the university, but it will always be pricier to opt for a private school.

Want to know a secret? It doesn't really matter where you go for your BS/BA, because the quality of the education you get has more to do with you than it does the school. Average students at Syracuse (where I did my masters), were no more well educated than the average student at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (where I did my BS). The only real difference between them is the individual opportunities available. At bigger universities (especially research focused), there may be more opportunity for getting involved in research as an undergrad.

If you are still in Tennessee, UT Martin and UT Chattanooga are good schools that won't break the bank (UT Martin is a little in the middle of nowhere, but they have a good geology program with some really good instructors. I have no idea what you intend on majoring in, I am just telling you how I know about UT Martin).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
10-05-2016, 08:48 AM
(10-05-2016 08:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you are still in Tennessee, UT Martin and UT Chattanooga are good schools that won't break the bank (UT Martin is a little in the middle of nowhere, but they have a good geology program with some really good instructors. I have no idea what you intend on majoring in, I am just telling you how I know about UT Martin).

(09-05-2016 11:37 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  Exactly! The only people who care about schools like UT are fat, beer-gutted, old southern men who have nothing to do with the college, have confederate flags in their front yards and probably don't even know that UT is a school. I want to go somewhere that is synonymous with being smart, worldly, and world-class in education. Saying you went to UT is like saying "I'm a mediocre student who scraped by in high school and decided at the last minute to go to college." That's how I view it anyway. It is run-of-the-mill at best, and I am looking for more than that. I want to go to a school that will get me into top grad schools and perhaps get into scientific research or something of the sort.

I think that says it all.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
10-05-2016, 08:54 AM
(10-05-2016 08:48 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 08:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you are still in Tennessee, UT Martin and UT Chattanooga are good schools that won't break the bank (UT Martin is a little in the middle of nowhere, but they have a good geology program with some really good instructors. I have no idea what you intend on majoring in, I am just telling you how I know about UT Martin).

(09-05-2016 11:37 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  Exactly! The only people who care about schools like UT are fat, beer-gutted, old southern men who have nothing to do with the college, have confederate flags in their front yards and probably don't even know that UT is a school. I want to go somewhere that is synonymous with being smart, worldly, and world-class in education. Saying you went to UT is like saying "I'm a mediocre student who scraped by in high school and decided at the last minute to go to college." That's how I view it anyway. It is run-of-the-mill at best, and I am looking for more than that. I want to go to a school that will get me into top grad schools and perhaps get into scientific research or something of the sort.

I think that says it all.

Clearly I didn't catch that last part of his OP.

If that is what he thinks of the UT system (based on what sounds like prejudice from the outside looking in), he can kiss the fattest part of my ass (said the scientist who does research while working on his PhD, who used the UT system to get an excellent education. Who also despises the confederate rag, loves only good beer but has taken to the old fashioned as his nightcap of choice as of late. Who wasn't a mediocre student in high school, taking as many advanced classes as I could while working full time hours as a mechanic. )

EVERY school is a diploma mill if students treat it that way.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 8 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
Thread Closed