College sucks!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 11:12 AM
RE: College sucks!
As a grizzled veteran of 20 years teaching in college, I would add that the majority of older students (some who have returned to college after flunking out) that I have taught are actually quite excellent as they are focused and they know what they want and are willing to work toward their goals. Not to say that there aren't excellent younger students, indeed there are, but a larger % of older students are quite strong.

At the end of the day your education is what you make of it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
10-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Sorry for offensive words. I was drunk.
10-05-2016, 04:40 PM
(10-05-2016 12:23 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  Sorry for offensive words. I was drunk.

That is an explanation but not an excuse.

College does not suck but your attitude does.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
10-05-2016, 04:48 PM
(10-05-2016 04:40 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  College does not suck but your attitude does.

Thanks.
10-05-2016, 05:56 PM
(08-05-2016 11:16 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  The name of the college matters to me. You might as well not try to argue with me on this because I my beliefs are dogmatic and unwavering on this. The name brand off the college matters to me. I want to tell people I went to Vanderbilt or Duke or Harvard or William and Mary. It's not out of merely elitist or snobby reasons (though I have to say, I want the prestige that goes along with that), but it's mostly about the atmosphere and environment of prestigious universities. When you go to these shitty state universities, you are there with people who care more about the god damn football team than gaining education or knowledge, and a bunch of people going to become nurses or physical ed teachers. Nothing wrong with those things, the world needs them, but that's not the environment I want to be in. I'm going to for the EDUCATION, not to get a piece of paper so I can get a job. That has very little to do with why I'm pursuing education now. I'm entering a computer science degree and plan to do a Phd. Top schools like Ivies and other top private research colleges will not accept applicants from bumfuck little state universities for their Phd programs. Graduating William and Mary would almost guarantee me admission into at least one or two off these big schools.

I know I sound crazy or unreasonable but that's where I'm at currently. I will do whatever it takes to achieve this.
I can put you on hanging and finishing drywall. No damn degree needed, you don't even need to speak English actually. No green card needed either!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
10-05-2016, 06:08 PM
(10-05-2016 05:56 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I can put you on hanging and finishing drywall. No damn degree needed, you don't even need to speak English actually. No green card needed either!

Everyone has these two visions when they hold their child for the first time. The first is your child as an adult saying, “I want to thank the Nobel Committee for this award.” The other is, “You want fries with that?”

-Robin Williams
10-05-2016, 07:21 PM
(10-05-2016 06:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The first is your child as an adult saying, “I want to thank the Nobel Committee for this award.” The other is, “You want fries with that?”

I guess I'm the latter. I withdrew from college today and also applied at several retail stores and restaurants. My grades from this semester also came in today. I'm done for good. No more college for me.
10-05-2016, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 08:16 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(10-05-2016 11:12 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  As a grizzled veteran of 20 years teaching in college, I would add that the majority of older students (some who have returned to college after flunking out) that I have taught are actually quite excellent as they are focused and they know what they want and are willing to work toward their goals. Not to say that there aren't excellent younger students, indeed there are, but a larger % of older students are quite strong.

I attended college after serving in the military. I was roughly 10 years older than my classmates. I did much better than my peers and graduated in the top 5% of my class. This was on top of holding down a job.

Quote:At the end of the day your education is what you make of it.

Amen!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
10-05-2016, 10:54 PM
(10-05-2016 07:21 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 06:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The first is your child as an adult saying, “I want to thank the Nobel Committee for this award.” The other is, “You want fries with that?”

I guess I'm the latter. I withdrew from college today and also applied at several retail stores and restaurants. My grades from this semester also came in today. I'm done for good. No more college for me.

(09-05-2016 07:22 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  Btw, I just finished a semester at a Tennessee CC. This was my first semester back to school in four years so it was my first action towards getting back into school and working towards my education. I made 3 As and 2 Bs this semester. I learned of this program with W&M after I had enrolled here. I really want to do this so I am trying to figure out how I can make it financially feasible.

You have issues. Get your story straight.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
10-05-2016, 11:16 PM
[Image: img_0354.jpg]

Thread closed for veering well off the intended use of the Personal Issues and Support Section. The direction of the conversational tone is unsalvageable at this point.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
Thread Closed