College

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 07:25 PM
RE: College
(20-05-2014 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 07:00 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Good job, though I refuse to join any navy, army, or anything related to going to war or being a branch that helps with war in my life(I am a pacifist), though I am always told if you do bad in highschool that you won't go to a good college.

Are you in the States? With those grades I'd start at a Community College. Seriously. That's what Girly did. Some of the best instructors I ever had were at Community College. They were there to teach. At Uni many of the Assistant and Associate Professors were there to pursue their research and teaching was just a necessary inconvenience and hurdle to become Full Professors. Not all though. I had some excellent instructors at Uni, but they all tended to be emeritus who also were there just to teach.

I always thought about starting at a community college, but only to look good for bigger colleges. I was first planing to move to a small 4 year universety, then a big one, then a big one in Japan, while in Japan I will get a temp job(some place like a pet shop) and start becoming a citizen.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 08:57 PM
(20-05-2014 07:25 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I always thought about starting at a community college, but only to look good for bigger colleges.

That's why I did it. Gets me into Uni.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-05-2014, 09:24 PM
(20-05-2014 08:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 07:25 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I always thought about starting at a community college, but only to look good for bigger colleges.

That's why I did it. Gets me into Uni.

How long did it take?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
20-05-2014, 09:36 PM
(20-05-2014 09:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 08:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's why I did it. Gets me into Uni.

How long did it take?

2 years at the Community College to get the maximum 60 credit transfer and then 3 years after that at Uni 'cause I started out thinking I was gonna be an amazing philosopher and shit until ManlyGirl went all preggo and then I went all in on CompSci. It was an excellent bet. A mediocre philosopher don't make dick. That's TrainWreck on the street corner with his clever signs. A mediocre programmer on the other hand can still be productive and make buck.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-05-2014, 11:51 PM
(20-05-2014 05:36 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I did no work in the 9th grade and failed 3 classes.

Because of this, I suspect many of us will be telling you to get off the forum and out of the bathroom until you report acceptable grades to us.

I suspect you are bored, but it's not an excuse.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
21-05-2014, 07:28 AM
I sit on a local scholarship committee, and I can only offer you what we look for.

Going to a junior college for 2 years and expecting to transfer is accepted easily. What we don't like to see is someone who wants to go to a $60,000+/yr college with no visible means of support. Junior colleges have come a long way in the last few decades, and it is now common to use them as a jumping-off point. Many community colleges are pretty spectacular.

We like to see students who contribute to their community, whether volunteering 20 hours/week or just an event here and there. We don't like to see someone who gets spectacular grades but does nothing else.

Work experience is nice. That shows us you can contribute and you are interested enough that you can help support yourself. Even if you earn $3/hour mowing grass, it's a sign that you can apply yourself.

Having an interest outside of school. Music, sports, anything that shows you're not someone who will take the education and keep it to himself. And it shows you're not one-dimensional.

Of course we like to see good grades, but someone who shows a drastic improvement is not out of the running. Be upfront about the time you screwed off, and explain why you decided to apply yourself these last 2 years.

Being a decent person, helping others - all good things that can tip the balance in your favor. Tailor your recommendation letters to the college - if it's a science-y school get letters from your Bio teachers; a Humanities school, get letters from your English teacher and the like.

You have time to redeem yourself, but I wouldn't waste any more of it.

Best of luck to you!

Why the fascination with Japan?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
21-05-2014, 08:40 AM
(20-05-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Not to mention the whole "white man wants to see niggers fail," mantra I keep hearing in my family.

There is a lot of evidence to show that when people are set academic tests and given the idea beforehand that they will perform poorly then this is more likely to be the case. This happens with women and ethnic minorities. It leads to self doubt, lack of motivation and distraction. I read about this a lot on the geek feminism website.

Imagine two scenarios.

Scenario 1

You are in a hall sitting an exam with people just like yourself (same colour, same gender, same age, same socio-economic group). A question comes up which you are pretty sure you know how to answer correctly but aren't entirely sure. You write down the answer, look at it, think to yourself, yeah, must be correct and move on to the next question.

Scenario 2

You are in a hall sitting an exam with people who have had a better schooling than you, are more outwardly confident and who you have very little in common with. Added to this is the idea that people like you don't do well at these tests. A question comes up which you are pretty sure you know how to answer correctly but aren't entirely certain. You write down the answer, look at it and then start to wonder whether you are are making a big mistake. You agonise over the question and start thinking through many different alternatives, many of which were put forward by students who are also trying to figure it out for themselves. But you give them more respect because they seem like the kind of person who would do well at this type of exam. You then change your original answer.

Say your original answer was correct in both cases. In scenario 2 you are more likely to run out of time, make corrections, write down fewer points which could win you marks or put down the wrong answer. Also the kind of environment in which scenario 2 occurs is also one that may put you off studying because you fear failure.

Believe me, this is a very real effect.

Remember this.

We know that you're intelligent.

Your gender, race and socio-economic class does not determine your intelligence but your environment may inhibit you fully developing your potential.

This is not a time for self doubt. This is a time to question everyone else's ability.

It is not a matter of you relative to everyone else. It's a matter of you and those exam questions. Nothing else is relevant. Compete with yourself, not with everyone else.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
21-05-2014, 09:19 AM
(20-05-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  If I am not accepted by any college I am going to just blow my head off. It would be much more dignifying to die than to work at a fast food joint, a store, or a gas station.

There are college graduates working in fast food joints, stores, and gas stations. Graduating from college doesn't guarantee that you will find employment in the field you studied.

If you can't get into college perhaps you should consider attending some kind of vocational school. There are fields in which there is a shortage of workers and if you pick one of them you might have a better chance of getting a job that if you went to college.

A college education isn't necessary to live a happy and successful life. I was accepted in college but dropped out after one year. My life has been a lot different from what it would have been if I had graduated but I don't think that it has been any worse.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
21-05-2014, 09:21 AM
After I complete high school, I'm going to a country where the government pays for your college.
I am willing to give up my american citizenship.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
21-05-2014, 12:08 PM
(21-05-2014 09:19 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  If I am not accepted by any college I am going to just blow my head off. It would be much more dignifying to die than to work at a fast food joint, a store, or a gas station.

There are college graduates working in fast food joints, stores, and gas stations. Graduating from college doesn't guarantee that you will find employment in the field you studied.

If you can't get into college perhaps you should consider attending some kind of vocational school. There are fields in which there is a shortage of workers and if you pick one of them you might have a better chance of getting a job that if you went to college.

A college education isn't necessary to live a happy and successful life. I was accepted in college but dropped out after one year. My life has been a lot different from what it would have been if I had graduated but I don't think that it has been any worse.

Bro I study the ecology and evolution of animals, I don't know how technology works.Undecided