Colleges with Religious Affiliations Fit for an Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Question Colleges with Religious Affiliations Fit for an Atheist?
I've been looking at where I want to go to college in a couple of years, but much to my disappointment, my top choices are private colleges with religious affiliations (they are my top choices because of other reasons), my top 3 choices are affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Since I am an atheist, I need to know, will these college's affiliation with churches become an issue if i choose to go to one of them or will I not even notice an affiliation (besides a church and a crucifix here and there)?

The main reason I'm asking is because I went to catholic school when I was in elementary and middle school and we had weekly, in-school mass, morning prayers, and a required religion class. Not exactly a place I want to go to school today. So would there be anything like that at one of these colleges or could religious affiliation just mean that they have a church on campus?

Also feel free to suggest a college/university. It just can't have any foreign language requirements for admission or graduation.

"He who wishes to comprehend God with his mind becomes an atheist."
- Count Nikolaus Von Zinzendorf
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 07:19 AM
RE: Colleges with Religious Affiliations Fit for an Atheist?
I don't have any suggestions, except maybe schools that the SSA has an active group. I would think that schools that offer many programs in higher sciences are better choices (MIT or VA Tech) , rather than a liberal arts program.

Look for some sort of 'profession of faith' clause in the enrollment packet in faith oriented schools, especially if you are getting a scholarship.

pray in one hand and spit in the other, see which hand fills up first.
15-05-2013, 10:59 AM
RE: Colleges with Religious Affiliations Fit for an Atheist?
(30-04-2013 07:10 PM)samthepcman Wrote:  I've been looking at where I want to go to college in a couple of years, but much to my disappointment, my top choices are private colleges with religious affiliations (they are my top choices because of other reasons), my top 3 choices are affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Since I am an atheist, I need to know, will these college's affiliation with churches become an issue if i choose to go to one of them or will I not even notice an affiliation (besides a church and a crucifix here and there)?

The main reason I'm asking is because I went to catholic school when I was in elementary and middle school and we had weekly, in-school mass, morning prayers, and a required religion class. Not exactly a place I want to go to school today. So would there be anything like that at one of these colleges or could religious affiliation just mean that they have a church on campus?

Also feel free to suggest a college/university. It just can't have any foreign language requirements for admission or graduation.

You have not really provided enough information.
Why do you have to consider only schools with religious affiliation?
How much religious affiliation?
Budget?
Geographical constraints?

Can you go anywhere in North America or do you need to live at home?
Harvard and many other schools were founded with religious affiliation. Is that good enough?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Re: Colleges with Religious Affiliations Fit for an Atheist?
You'll have to take a couple religious course again perhaps but that's a fit for an atheist if you ask me.

Depending on the professors, non religious papers may be graded poor but it's probably not a horrible fit.

There are plenty of areligious or even non religious students being to private religious schools.