Colorado Springs shooter ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2015, 04:27 AM
RE: Colorado Springs shooter ...
So there's an Imam somewhere in France saying ...

"Oui, I expressed my distain at people who go to concerts. And I edited a video of a coffee shop to show inappropriately dressed people having more fun than the Quran permits, but I didn't expect anyone to take it so seriously."

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2015, 07:55 AM
(30-11-2015 02:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 01:08 AM)Gaest Wrote:  I agree that this is religiously motivated terrorism, but my point was just that religious terrorism is not necessarily connected with mental illness - let alone equal to mental illness.

Clinically you are likely correct. However, many at TTA forum equate religion with madness.

GO ISIS!!! Tongue

And Horus. *You people* always forget Horus.Angry

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-11-2015, 08:34 AM
(30-11-2015 01:08 AM)Gaest Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Depends on what? This is terrorism and its motivation.

I agree that this is religiously motivated terrorism, but my point was just that religious terrorism is not necessarily connected with mental illness - let alone equal to mental illness.

If it is not mental illness, what is it? Consider

Does someone of sound mind believe in gods and thereby justify murder? I think not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2015, 08:35 AM
(30-11-2015 04:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 06:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Q: What is the difference between religious terrorism and mental illness? Consider

Nothing. Drinking Beverage

If it were a Venn diagram, 'religious terrorism' would be a circle that overlapped with 'mental illness', but the two are not synonymous. Those with clinical depression are not necessarily terrorists, and not every radical believer who advocates political change through violence is suffering from a mental disorder; although you can argue that they all suffer from ignorance and the limits it imposes. Unless of course you want to reclassify 'ignorance' as a mental disorder, in which case the circle of 'terrorism' would fall entirely within the circle of 'mental illness', but even then it still would not be synonymous.

I didn't say they were synonymous, just that religious terrorism is a proper subset of insanity.

Not all insane people are religious terrorists, but all religious terrorists are insane.

30-11-2015, 08:36 AM
(30-11-2015 07:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 02:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Clinically you are likely correct. However, many at TTA forum equate religion with madness.

GO ISIS!!! Tongue

And Horus. *You people* always forget Horus.Angry

That's because we are angry at Horus. Dodgy

30-11-2015, 07:20 PM
(28-11-2015 11:48 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Being so pro-life that you decide to murder several people to prove how wrong it is to murder Dodgy

The irony. You nailed it!

[Image: pro%20life_zpstanxemfz.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Captain Congo's post
30-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Is he missing an ear?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
01-12-2015, 08:13 AM
(30-11-2015 08:10 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Is he missing an ear?

No, but he is a few marbles....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-12-2015, 08:19 AM
(30-11-2015 08:10 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Is he missing an ear?

He's missing a brain

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
(30-11-2015 08:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  Does someone of sound mind believe in gods and thereby justify murder? I think not.

I disagree. This one individual may in fact be legally insane, but, as a general concept, I think someone of sound mind can absolutely have a belief in a god that justifies murder. In fact, I think that is the default position. So many heinous crimes throughout the course of history in the name of god and spreading his good word that it's unreasonable to assume all those people were just nuts and incapable of understanding right from wrong or what they were doing. Christianity spread through Europe at the end of a sword, with violent consequences for those who resisted. I don't accept that the armies of Charlemagne , as just one example, were all potential refugees from an insane asylum when they conquered the Saxons and forced them to convert.

Belief in god can overwhelm sanity and belief that your actions are encouraged and required by a divine being can lead to some pretty horrific actions. There are literally thousands of examples of this throughout history. All those people were not insane. It's not possible.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post