Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
Hello forum,
So I receive my Colorado jury duty summons. Not a problem for me, except one detail. On the page reading 'Juror Qualifications', it reads, *You do not have a physical or mental disability that would affect your ability to serve as a juror. (If you do, you may be required to submit a statement from your doctor or authorized Christian Science practitioner to the jury commissioner as soon as possible after receipt of this summons before you may be disqualified.)

Christian Science practitioner?Huh As if 'Christian science' is not an oxymoron to begin with! Why not include my local Shaman, or my Hindu practitioner? Why not a statement from my Wiccan High Priestess?

I know that going against the grain in Bible Belt is probably futile but isn't a state publication citing a juror disqualification based solely on one religion (or any for that matter) against the separation of church and state?

Pursuant to section 13-17-105, Colorado Revised Statutes.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Antitheist007's post
01-02-2014, 11:34 PM
RE: Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
One would think so.

Is CO really "Bible Belt"...? ...hadn't pondered that (I'm in CO)....

Looks like the bottom line is that we still have a long way to go toward cutting all the vestigial religious bullshit out of our laws in the US.

But we knew that already.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Thank you for your reply. Is CO Bible Belt? CO is the King of Bible Belt states. When factoring numbers of theists and theist groups, CO has greater numbers than any other state. For one small example, take a drive through CO Springs and note the (green) 'Focus on the Family Visitor Center' (state-funded) signage.

Quote:Looks like the bottom line is that we still have a long way to go toward cutting all the vestigial religious bullshit out of our laws in the US.

I couldn't agree more. I'm no law professor, but, this appears to be illegal.
02-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Are Christian Scientists the ones who hate doctors? That might have just been thrown in there to be inclusive. Chances are, if you believe in Waaaargarbble and can only consult the High Waaaargarpriest, they might make an exception.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
02-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Just go along with it and then throw a fit when asked to swear on the bible.

Swear at it, instead.

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
"Christian Science" is actually a sect or denomination of Christianity. It's not a science. It's like saying Seventh Day Adventist, or Pentecostal, or something. I don't remember why they use 'Science' in their name, but it has nothing to do with science. Either way, seems odd to specify one branch of Christianity out of all of them, if that is in fact what it's referring to.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
03-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Okay, I decided to stop being lazy and look it up. I was right: they are anti-doctor and anti-medicine. That's why they're being singled out, because they would consider it a breach of their religions freedoms to be forced to seek out a doctor.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
03-02-2014, 07:17 AM
This has nothing to do with separation of church and state. It is about freedom of religion. Some religions do not believe in seeing doctors. It has to be an authorized "Christian Scientist" to minimize the wackjobs as much as possible while still protecting people's religious freedoms.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
03-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Happy we dont have a jury system in Germany.

"Hey! Let`s let a bunch of randome biased strangers who are absolutly no experts on how the criminal justice system works.... determine if the accused is guilty or not!"

It sounds so outrageously stupid.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
03-02-2014, 07:37 AM
(03-02-2014 07:21 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Happy we dont have a jury system in Germany.

"Hey! Let`s let a bunch of randome biased strangers who are absolutly no experts on how the criminal justice system works.... determine if the accused is guilty or not!"

It sounds so outrageously stupid.

I hate hate hate jury duty. So much!! I was on a jury once right after I turned 18. We were there for 3 days before I finally gave in to peer pressure and voted guilty and I still feel bad about it. The man was charged with agravated robbery with a deadly weapon. The story was that two friends were drinking together after work in friend 1's back yard. Friend 2 at some point asked friend 1 to loan him money and friend 1 said no. Friend 2 pulled out a pair of child's safety scissors (you know the kind with the rounded plastic protectors on them) and said "your wife is fat give me 15 bucks". Friend 1 gave him 15 bucks and then friend 2 went home. About an hour later friend 1 flagged down a passing police car and told the officer what happened. Ugh. I think the minimum sentence for robbery with a deadly weapon is like 5-10 years. Sometimes I just think our legal system is crap.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post