Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 08:19 AM
RE: Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
(03-02-2014 07:37 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Sometimes I just think our legal system is crap.

It is, we live in a plutocracy and the law is not applied equally.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-02-2014, 10:47 AM
(03-02-2014 06:59 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Okay, I decided to stop being lazy and look it up. I was right: they are anti-doctor and anti-medicine. That's why they're being singled out, because they would consider it a breach of their religions freedoms to be forced to seek out a doctor.

I knew they were anti-doctor/anti-medicine, but it never occured to me that they could get out of Jury Duty that way.

So the idea is that they would have to have a medical excuse from one of their people, not a medical doctor, because a medical doctor would be against their religion?

At first that sounds like bullshit, and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that. But in reality, when you think about it, do you really want jurors who don't believe in medicine or doctors, making desisions that could effect a plaintiff or defendant's life? Especially if that case involves medical care or treatment?

Ultimately they problably should be off the jury anyway.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
03-02-2014, 12:15 PM
(03-02-2014 10:47 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  So the idea is that they would have to have a medical excuse from one of their people, not a medical doctor, because a medical doctor would be against their religion?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why.

(03-02-2014 10:47 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  At first that sounds like bullshit, and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that. But in reality, when you think about it, do you really want jurors who don't believe in medicine or doctors, making desisions that could effect a plaintiff or defendant's life? Especially if that case involves medical care or treatment?

I don't know. I'm fine with people not being put into combat roles in the military because they're pacifists.

(03-02-2014 10:47 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Ultimately they problably should be off the jury anyway.

Yeah, they should definitely not be on a jury. I found myself chuckling at the irony in the OP where they were first asked about having any physical or mental disability that would keep them from serving, and thought that Christian Science itself should be enough of an excuse, let alone going to the woo doctor to get a written note.
03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
The whole idea behind some of these exclusionary questions for a potential juror is to remove people who cannot be objective. If you are devoted to a belief or belief system that forbids certain things you can't strictly follow the laws of determining guilt or innocence and sentencing guidelines.

Even a death penalty jury has to go through certain questions to be sure that they can 'consider' death as a potential sentence. That doesn't mean it will be their decision but that they not going to throw it out based on elements other than the letter of the law.

I don't have an issue with jurors being removed based on preconceived notions that have nothing to do with the case at hand.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
03-02-2014, 11:59 PM
(03-02-2014 07:17 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  This has nothing to do with separation of church and state. It is about freedom of religion. Some religions do not believe in seeing doctors. It has to be an authorized "Christian Scientist" to minimize the wackjobs as much as possible while still protecting people's religious freedoms.

The proper way to deal with these types of issues, is not to make special exceptions for every religious sect that whines about any law, but instead, to just make sure every law has a valid secular purpose, and is not designed to antagonize religion. This particular law, has gone too far the other way, and granted special respect for a particular religious institution, which sure seems to me to violate the 1st Amendment.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
04-02-2014, 12:02 AM
(03-02-2014 07:21 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Happy we dont have a jury system in Germany.

"Hey! Let`s let a bunch of randome biased strangers who are absolutly no experts on how the criminal justice system works.... determine if the accused is guilty or not!"

It sounds so outrageously stupid.

Even worse, the smart people know they can just throw the stupid summons away without consequence. So juries end up being manned by those who are either not that bright, or are highly patriotic.

04-02-2014, 07:29 AM
I suggest you send them an affidavit from a Wiccan 'practitioner' stating that you must be excused due to the poor alignment of the courthouse to the ley lines. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
04-02-2014, 08:16 AM
(01-02-2014 11:19 PM)Antitheist007 Wrote:  Hello forum,
So I receive my Colorado jury duty summons. Not a problem for me, except one detail. On the page reading 'Juror Qualifications', it reads, *You do not have a physical or mental disability that would affect your ability to serve as a juror. (If you do, you may be required to submit a statement from your doctor or authorized Christian Science practitioner to the jury commissioner as soon as possible after receipt of this summons before you may be disqualified.)

Christian Science practitioner?Huh As if 'Christian science' is not an oxymoron to begin with! Why not include my local Shaman, or my Hindu practitioner? Why not a statement from my Wiccan High Priestess?

I know that going against the grain in Bible Belt is probably futile but isn't a state publication citing a juror disqualification based solely on one religion (or any for that matter) against the separation of church and state?

Pursuant to section 13-17-105, Colorado Revised Statutes.

Thanks.

[Image: gypsey-with-crystal-ball.jpg]

prediction: I see a petition & political action in your future to address state legislation which deals with jury duty and the participant parameters therein.

Ooommmmm

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
04-02-2014, 08:49 AM
To avoid jury duty couldn't you just say "I can't wait to hang that bastard" in the interview. Or perhaps a racial slur if the defendant is of a different ethnic background.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
04-02-2014, 11:51 AM
(04-02-2014 08:49 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  To avoid jury duty couldn't you just say "I can't wait to hang that bastard" in the interview. Or perhaps a racial slur if the defendant is of a different ethnic background.

If you want to avoid jury duty, just don't respond to the summons. They almost never do anything about it, and if they do, it's usually just a small fine.