Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
RE: Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
(04-02-2014 11:51 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 08:49 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  To avoid jury duty couldn't you just say "I can't wait to hang that bastard" in the interview. Or perhaps a racial slur if the defendant is of a different ethnic background.

If you want to avoid jury duty, just don't respond to the summons. They almost never do anything about it, and if they do, it's usually just a small fine.

Here in Texas they issue a warrant right away for skipping jury duty. It's not really optional here to at least respond. Unless, of course, you want to get picked up by the police and booked.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
One of my favorites movies of all time is "12 angry men", with Henry Fonda. A masterpiece of acting almost entirely shot in one room, where the jurors got to decide if a man is guilty of murder. All the jurors but one (Fonda) are sure that the guy did it (it didn't help that the defendant was black and the whole jury was made by white men). Fonda uses reason to convince one by one his fellow jurors that the man couldn't be find guilty, but the movie shows how easy it is for people who don't really care for justice, to throw someone under a bus to go back to their businesses as soon as possible. On the other hand, people with good intentions can be manipulated by a slick lawyer and acquit the guiltiest man on Earth. So i can't really trust the trial by jury system, because I've reached the conclusion a long time ago that most people are really stupid, and I wouldn't trust my dog with them, let alone my life.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
[+] 1 user Likes Alexandro's post
04-02-2014, 12:08 PM
(04-02-2014 11:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Here in Texas they issue a warrant right away for skipping jury duty. It's not really optional here to at least respond. Unless, of course, you want to get picked up by the police and booked.

That's only true if you respond to the summons. If you totally ignore it, never calling in, never replying by mail...just take it straight from the mailbox to the shredder, there is almost never any consequence. Occasionally, a judge will get mad that no-one is responding, and send out citations, but you're more likely to get struck by lightening than get one.

...fyi, I live in Texas, and I know first hand this works. Also, if you read the back of the summons, you'll see that the maximum penalty for failing to respond to the summons, is a fine of a few hundred dollars.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
04-02-2014, 04:24 PM
I am from Colorado and I am a trial lawyer so I know a little bit about this. If you have a medical reason for not serving on a jury, we want some verification of that. We do not have to take your word for it. If you are a Christian Scientist, you do not have a physician who will back you up and we cannot force you to see a physician so we will take the word of one of your religious care takers. Wiccans and other religions generally do not have a religious prohibition against seeing doctors.

Accepting a statement from a Christian Science practitioner is not a violation of the first amendment because it does not constitute the "establishment" of religion.

If you really want out of jury duty, and it is the DUTY of every citizen to serve if called, you can whine and whimper enough during voir dire to probably get your ass kicked off. [For the record, most criminal defense lawyers want jurors who do not want to be on the jury and who do not want to sit in judgment of another person. If you look like you are excited to be on the jury, you will probably be excused.]

If you do not show up as required in the summons, you WILL be arrested and possibly held in contempt of court. It depends on the judge you draw but many, if not most, judges will throw you in jail for a couple days to teach you not to screw with them. But jail isn't too bad once you establish that you are the meanest son of a bitch in your cell block.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
04-02-2014, 04:43 PM
By the way, Antitheist, let me rant for a moment. I am glad that jury duty isn't a problem for you because we NEED more atheists and agnostics on juries. I live in Colorado Springs which is the Bible Belt of Colorado. Let me tell you from 40 years as a trial lawyer, there is no person more judgmental than a Christian. It is hard to get them to THINK about the law and jury instructions. They often come into the courtroom wanting to hurt somebody. That isn't a big problem with "freethinkers" because they actually think.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
04-02-2014, 05:03 PM
(04-02-2014 04:24 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  If you do not show up as required in the summons, you WILL be arrested and possibly held in contempt of court. It depends on the judge you draw but many, if not most, judges will throw you in jail for a couple days to teach you not to screw with them. But jail isn't too bad once you establish that you are the meanest son of a bitch in your cell block.

...what if you don't respond to the summons at all in the first place? Maybe Co is different, but I know first hand they don't just go arresting people for failure to respond in either California or in Texas, because 3/4 of the people I know just throw these things away, and no-one ever even gets fined.

04-02-2014, 05:16 PM
I always show up for jury duty 'cause my employer is required to pay me for it. I never get selected though. Might be because I show up as Sailor Bubba. Consider

[Image: girly.png]

ManlyGirl shows up for the first day and at the beginning of jury selection when they ask "Is there anyone who feels they can't be a juror on this trial?" she raises her hand. When the judge asks her to approach and tell him why she can't serve, if it's a criminal case she answers "I hate cops.", if it's a civil case she answers "I hate lawyers." "Juror dismissed." Works every time.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-02-2014, 09:34 AM
(04-02-2014 05:03 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 04:24 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  If you do not show up as required in the summons, you WILL be arrested and possibly held in contempt of court. It depends on the judge you draw but many, if not most, judges will throw you in jail for a couple days to teach you not to screw with them. But jail isn't too bad once you establish that you are the meanest son of a bitch in your cell block.

...what if you don't respond to the summons at all in the first place? Maybe Co is different, but I know first hand they don't just go arresting people for failure to respond in either California or in Texas, because 3/4 of the people I know just throw these things away, and no-one ever even gets fined.

It depends on the jurisdiction and the judge. Often what happens in Colorado is the sheriff will pick you up and bring you before the judge and some judges will accept just about any excuse for failing to appear. However, they will have the jury commissioner give you a new date for jury service, while you are there in the courtroom, and the judge will essentially dare you to miss that date. Smart people don't play games with this.

Jury service is so easy it doesn't make sense to try to weasel out of it. In Colorado, if the date in the summons is inconvenient for you, a quick call to the jury commissioner will get the date changed, without hassle, and a new summons will be issued. If you have a condition that makes hearing or following the testimony difficult, judges are quick to excuse you. Your employer must give you time off to perform jury service. I've never understood why people try so hard to get out of it.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
05-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Girly Man, that's a stunning ensemble.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
05-02-2014, 09:46 AM
(05-02-2014 09:34 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  It depends on the jurisdiction and the judge. Often what happens in Colorado is the sheriff will pick you up and bring you before the judge and some judges will accept just about any excuse for failing to appear. However, they will have the jury commissioner give you a new date for jury service, while you are there in the courtroom, and the judge will essentially dare you to miss that date. Smart people don't play games with this.

Colorado sounds like a police state hell hole then. You never hear about this happening in Texas or in California. The most that generally happens, is a follow up summons sent by registered mail. That one, you better not ignore.