Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 01:40 PM by Antitheist007.)
RE: Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
Thanks for the many responses! As said, I am happy, or at least quite willing, to fulfill jury duty and I must agree with Black Eagle there, failure to respond is contempt, and if the judge is in a bad mood that day, he can certainly issue a warrant; something slightly more troublesome than the jury duty itself.

Your brand of religion induces you to disbelieve in modern medicine, and on this basis alone, you may be excused from civic duty? This is completely nuts! So my original point being, a single (dominant) religion is favored here over all others. My religion may be as contrived and equally legitimate to me as this one is, so I am clearly viewed in prejudice. It is clearly discriminatory. A hand-written note from my High Priestess (Blessed be unto Her name) should get me off (jury duty.)

Native Americans once campaigned for the right to smoke peyote bud, it being part of their cultural and traditional heritage, but the supreme court ruled against them, likely in defense of the war against (people with) drugs. Unfortunately, they don't have the political and social influence as do our Christian 'Scientists'. Per Antonin Scalia: 'the secular law need not bow to someone's religious "conscience," even as regards the performance of the sacred liturgy of that person's faith.' Religious freedom seems to apply very selectively today, as it always has. Liberty and Justice for all?

Besides, as others have noted, in my opinion, the concept of jury duty is archaic and the practice should have been outlawed long ago. The general public is not qualified or educated enough to evaluate evidence and deliver justice. Better would be to employ a panel, say nine persons, of trained full-time jurors, who's profession it is to be impartial to attorneys' tactics. They could operate as jurors do, under the judge's authority, and be full-time court staff members, each shuffled periodically from court to court to further ensure impartiality. But No! Instead, lets pull a bunch of complete strangers off the street and let them decide if the kid goes to prison.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Did you seriously just copy that from here:
This Page

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-02-2014, 01:33 PM
No, just posted same question to another forum.
05-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Seriously, though. Would you want a xtian "scientist" on your jury?

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
05-02-2014, 02:19 PM
(05-02-2014 01:51 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Seriously, though. Would you want a xtian "scientist" on your jury?

...if it's a criminal case and I'm the one on trial, then no, because such a person has demonstrated an excessive penchant for blind trust of authority. On the other hand, if it's a civil case and I'm suing a doctor for malpractice, then hell yes I want the jury filled with Christian Scientists.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
05-02-2014, 02:20 PM
(05-02-2014 09:36 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Girly Man, that's a stunning ensemble.

He is adorable, isn't he? Blush

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post