Colorado students protest new curriculum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Colorado students protest new curriculum
Interesting take from Fox News, of course.

THEYRE PROTESTING PATRIOTISM AND FREEDOM!! THEY WANT TO LEARN AMERICA IS A BAD PLACE!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/24/hun...m-changes/

Of course I saw this from a tea partier on Facebook who just laments over our education system and prays that god will be over all....

The comments are crazy, people obviously read the inflammatory headline and go ballistic. And you know, it's all Obama's fault.

Why are people so afraid of teaching what *actually happened* in America's past?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Colourcraze's post
24-09-2014, 10:57 AM
RE: Colorado students protest new curriculum
I don't know enough about this to comment. I don't know what the textbook is actually saying.

Oddly tho in the link it now says comments are disabled...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-09-2014, 12:14 PM
(24-09-2014 10:00 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Why are people so afraid of teaching what *actually happened* in America's past?

Because stupid people are easier to control.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-09-2014, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 12:39 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
(24-09-2014 10:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know enough about this to comment. I don't know what the textbook is actually saying.

That's problem I have with stories like this too. Too much sensationalism and not enough content.

However, if tea partiers are in favor of the change I'm probably opposed to it considering their history of anti-intellectualism (aka "stupidity"). It also concerns me that they're trying to teach history in such a way that it promotes certain values regardless of how noble some of those values might seem to be on the surface.

History shouldn't have an agenda.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
24-09-2014, 12:39 PM
(24-09-2014 12:30 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 10:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know enough about this to comment. I don't know what the textbook is actually saying.

That's problem with stories like this too. Too much sensationalism and not enough content.

However, if tea partiers are in favor of the change I'm probably opposed to it considering their history of anti-intellectualism (aka "stupidity"). It also concerns me that they're trying to teach history in such a way that it promotes certain values regardless of how noble some of those values might seem to be on the surface.

History shouldnt have an agenda
Should be the next anti-republican campaign slogan.
That is pure gold!!!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
24-09-2014, 12:53 PM
(24-09-2014 12:30 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  

That's problem I have with stories like this too. Too much sensationalism and not enough content.

History always has an agenda. Even if it were possible to cover "everything" and to do so "equally", there wouldn't be time for it! So, necessarily, we have to pick and choose topics and then pick and choose analyses of that material...

That said, while I wouldn't be opposed to an element of overt historiography in, say, a senior high school class, there's a point where people should just shut the fuck up and let actual qualified experts set the curriculum.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
24-09-2014, 04:44 PM
In an act of civil disobedience, students protest the removal of acts of civil disobedience from their history curriculum. Brilliant!

Next they'll try to remove Thomas Paine and Thoreau from the curriculum. Nah, everybody knows they're really just trying to remove Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement from the curriculum. Apparently the students were not so easily fooled by the racists bastards. ... Either that or someone was stoned when they were designing the curriculum and just forgot to include it.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-09-2014, 07:24 PM
(24-09-2014 04:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In an act of civil disobedience, students protest the removal of acts of civil disobedience from their history curriculum. Brilliant!

Next they'll try to remove Thomas Paine and Thoreau from the curriculum. Nah, everybody knows they're really just trying to remove Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement from the curriculum. Apparently the students were not so easily fooled by the racists bastards. ... Either that or someone was stoned when they were designing the curriculum and just forgot to include it.

If we here in NZ are forced to do American civil rights movement history then you bastards can bloody well do it as well. Angry

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
25-09-2014, 09:41 PM
(24-09-2014 04:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In an act of civil disobedience, students protest the removal of acts of civil disobedience from their history curriculum. Brilliant!

I didn't learn about just MLK who shares a holiday with Robert E Lee, I learned about Rosa Parks in a song. Smartass

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
25-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Murika has civil rights?

Who knew?

Ohmy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post