Colored people's time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2016, 06:08 AM
Colored people's time
I used to have an old coot neighbor that used this term when I was a kid. He'd say shit like "You were supposed to be here at 9:00 to mow my lawn...you running on colored people's time?" I guess it meant black people are always late.

New York Mayor Bill De Blasio used the term "CP time" at an event with Hillary Clinton in New York yesterday. They were trying to make a joke I suppose, with Hillary changing it to "Cautious Politician Time" but it came out pretty bad.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/bill-...es-n554756

Very bad taste IMO.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2016, 06:45 AM
RE: Colored people's time
Agreed.
I wonder when politicians will realize that they do not make good standup comedians?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-04-2016, 07:04 AM
(13-04-2016 06:08 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I used to have an old coot neighbor that used this term when I was a kid. He'd say shit like "You were supposed to be here at 9:00 to mow my lawn...you running on colored people's time?" I guess it meant black people are always late.

New York Mayor Bill De Blasio used the term "CP time" at an event with Hillary Clinton in New York yesterday. They were trying to make a joke I suppose, with Hillary changing it to "Cautious Politician Time" but it came out pretty bad.

Very bad taste IMO.

You don't think maybe you're reading into this a little too far? Lot's of ethnic groups are accused of being late to appointments or late to parties. Some of them recognize this and define this trait as a part of their culture. "Latin time," "Island time," Israeli time," "Mumbai time," "Everywhere-in-the-Middle-East time."

Your neighbor was a racist douche, but it's not uncommon for people to blame their tardiness on their cultural tendencies or tendencies of their social circle.
13-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Tbh, I think it's quite funny. "Cautious politician time" is a good quip.

It shows a few things:

- Politicians are invariably crappy comedians.
- Clinton script-writers might be out of tune with the PC zeitgeist.
- They also might be blasé about 'owning' a large part of the black vote.
- They are also perhaps either unaware or complacent regarding the link between Bill Clinton's crime bill and its impact on black communities.

On the latter, if Sanders activists can vocalise that link via social media they may well make a significant dent in the black support for Hilary.

Personally, I think that comedy and news should continue to merge. For centuries, satire has been a great educator ... from Aristophanes through Shakespeare, Swift and Gillray to Have I Got News For You and The Daily Show.

And, incidentally, over here there is an equivalent saying, actually many different versions of it depending upon where you live e.g. Philippine Time.

And it has more than a grain of truth to it ... warm and stable climates encourage a relaxed view of 'urgency'.

EDIT: I wasn't fast enough ... FC and Aliza beat me to it.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-04-2016, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2016 07:25 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(13-04-2016 07:04 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 06:08 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I used to have an old coot neighbor that used this term when I was a kid. He'd say shit like "You were supposed to be here at 9:00 to mow my lawn...you running on colored people's time?" I guess it meant black people are always late.

Very bad taste IMO.

You don't think maybe you're reading into this a little too far? Lot's of ethnic groups are accused of being late to appointments or late to parties. Some of them recognize this and define this trait as a part of their culture. "Latin time," "Island time," Israeli time," "Mumbai time," "Everywhere-in-the-Middle-East time."

Your neighbor was a racist douche, but it's not uncommon for people to blame their tardiness on their cultural tendencies or tendencies of their social circle.

That may be true, but "colored people time" or "CP time" is an actual racist stereotype used by white people for a long time. If a culture wants to use it on themselves in an endearing way that's up to them. Like "Island time" if you're on vacation. This isn't really like that. Black people don't show up to work 15 minutes late and say "sorry boss, I'm on CP time."

Not Racist:

"Sorry we're late for our dinner reservation."
Response: "It's oK, you're on vacation Island time."

Racist:

"If you're late again, you're fired. We don't run on colored people time around here."

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
13-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Should make it Nova Scotia time.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
13-04-2016, 08:28 AM
If I were important enough for the media to follow around, I'd probably be best off just having my tongue surgically removed.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
13-04-2016, 09:27 AM
(13-04-2016 08:28 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If I were important enough for the media to follow around, I'd probably be best off just having my tongue surgically removed.

I'm pretty sure you'd quickly become proficient in dirty sign language. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-04-2016, 09:28 AM
(13-04-2016 08:28 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If I were important enough for the media to follow around, I'd probably be best off just having my tongue surgically removed.

I hear ya. I've mellowed quite a bit from my youth, though.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Fucken politicians. You'd think they'd be more aware. USA is gonna be led by these clowns?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post