Colored people's time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2016, 12:16 PM
RE: Colored people's time
(13-04-2016 06:08 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I used to have an old coot neighbor that used this term when I was a kid. He'd say shit like "You were supposed to be here at 9:00 to mow my lawn...you running on colored people's time?" I guess it meant black people are always late.

New York Mayor Bill De Blasio used the term "CP time" at an event with Hillary Clinton in New York yesterday. They were trying to make a joke I suppose, with Hillary changing it to "Cautious Politician Time" but it came out pretty bad.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/bill-...es-n554756

Very bad taste IMO.
Personally I don't find it offensive. Not every ethnic joke is offensive.

What do I find offensive? That Hillary Clinton tries to spin it according to how she suspects will win her political capital. The lady is too fake.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
13-04-2016, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2016 04:08 PM by Clockwork.)
(13-04-2016 07:17 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Should make it Nova Scotia time.
I'm sorry.

But back to CPT. I hadn't heard of it, despite being in the South. A friend shared a joke email that a 10 Things list that whites, blacks, and Mexicans should know. (Like 10 things blacks and Mexicans know that whites should know. It rotated. )

One of things was what black people should know was "funerals and weddings should start on time." The black people there were laughing hysterically. I didn't get it, so one guy said, "We always start things on CPT." Then he had to explain that. He said Richard Pryor made it famous.

Now, though, my friend Chris (who introduces him, Jigsaw, and me as brothers) will call and say he'll be there at 11am. Then sometimes he'll add, "And actually 11, not CPT." And he's black.

I guess with close friends certain jokes aren't off limits. We'll bring up jokes first. Like I tried quinoa, and I said, but that's expected because you know white people eat weird shit anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
13-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Never heard of CPT even growing up in the DC ghettos. We did have hillbilly time, though. You had to make sure to specify the date or they might show up 4 hours late on any given day.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-04-2016, 04:52 PM
(13-04-2016 10:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I've often wondered ... why is it called a wake?

I've heard that way back when, it was often hard for the doctors and other folks to tell when someone was dead-dead or just mostly-dead.

So the night before the burial, friends and loved ones would sit up with the dead and see if they would wake up.

Don't know if that's true, but it's what I've heard.

A humorous example:

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-04-2016, 04:58 PM
(13-04-2016 11:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Religious people time needs to be a thing. To properly follow it, you go by normal time but have to pretend the previous day never happened.

You mean you have to pretend that the first 14+ billion years never happened

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
13-04-2016, 06:18 PM
(13-04-2016 04:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 11:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Religious people time needs to be a thing. To properly follow it, you go by normal time but have to pretend the previous day never happened.

You mean you have to pretend that the first 14+ billion years never happened

It happened. But 2 million years = 1 day.

Creation maths.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Pikers. My baby sister used to set her clock ahead a couple of hours so that she could clock-watch and still make it to work on the assembly line when it started. She could go shopping for something and handle everything else in the store while getting it. She called one morning at 10 AM to say she was on her was to our parent's house for xmas dinner, and when she didn't show up until 5 PM, nobody was concerned. She lived about 30 minutes away.
13-04-2016, 08:18 PM
(13-04-2016 06:45 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Agreed.
I wonder when politicians will realize that they do not make good standup comedians?

Like that Ron White fellow who is running for president.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze