Colossal Assholes who are good at music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2017, 02:56 PM
So I am in a now long gone music store in Redwood City CA with my unemployment money. I am looking through the 45s and ask the clerk is the record I think it is, well she says let's listen. "He doesn't hang diamonds on my neck, all he's got is unemployment checks". Yes it was the song I thought it was and I bought it with my unemployment money, cash money including two $50 real money circa 1970.

A song atributed to the Crystals although Darlene Love sang the lead. Phil Spector could do amazing things as a producer. He is also serving time for murder.

I suspect that if one was to look back in time even to when opera dominated that one could find multiple people who have musical talent that are collasal assholes in real life.

Should we be ashamed to enjoy what they have done to make our ears delight.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
27-10-2017, 03:21 PM
RE: Colossal Assholes who are good at music
I will listen to and enjoy good music, regardless of what kind of person made it. Great talent is often accompanied by an equally great ego, and great egos can be assholes. That's not going to stop me from enjoying their music. And nobody's a saint anyway. I can be an asshole sometimes. I won't hold musicians to a higher standard than I hold myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
28-10-2017, 07:10 AM
When it came to sex and drugs, rock 'n' roll legend Chuck Berry rang all the bells—and then some.

Chuck Berry Was More Than a Rock Icon—He Was Also a Huge Pervert.

Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
28-10-2017, 08:46 AM
One of the first albums I purchased was a Chuck Berry album. I am not certain SYZ if I am happy for the above information. Although I think the Mann Act charge was bogus.
28-10-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm buying music, not moral guidance.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-10-2017, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't buy music from neo-nazi or similar scum even if it were to sound heavenly. Ordinary assholines isn't issue though.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
28-10-2017, 12:10 PM
I don't know if it's actually true but word is that Mozart was a bit of an asshole. But when a person writes an entire symphony by the age of 8 people are ok if you're an asshole.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-10-2017, 07:28 PM
(28-10-2017 12:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't know if it's actually true but word is that Mozart was a bit of an asshole. But when a person writes an entire symphony by the age of 8 people are ok if you're an asshole.

Mozart was the rock star of his time. He even wrote a song called Lick me in the Ass.

Bona Nox (K.561)

Good night! [Latin]
You are quite an ox;
Good night, [Italian]
My dear Lotte;
Good night, [French]
Phooey, phooey;
Good night, good night, [English]
We still have far to go today;
Good night, good night,
Shit in your bed and make it burst; [[6]]
Good night, sleep tight,
And stick your ass to your mouth. [[2]]

Difficile Lectu (K. 559)

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
28-10-2017, 07:36 PM
(28-10-2017 12:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't know if it's actually true but word is that Mozart was a bit of an asshole. But when a person writes an entire symphony by the age of 8 people are ok if you're an asshole.

Those rare occasions when you skip asshole phase and go straight to eccentric.

28-10-2017, 07:44 PM

Wagner. It's Wagner who's the asshole uber alles. Beethoven was kind of an asshole, especially in his personal life. And don't get me started on Robert Schumann and what he did to poor Clara...or Vivaldi or Gesualdo.

Mozart was immature, partly because he was never allowed to be a kid, even in the limited way kids of the 18th century were able to be kids...his stage father was touring him and his sister around Europe when he was 8-9. Mozart was one of the first composers to earn his living independent of being absolutely beholden to a patron. Mozart in his letters (my reading of them) doesn't come across as an asshole. His sense of humor would fit in well on TTA.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post