Com. Chris HADFIELD (and other ASTRONAUTS, COSMONAUTS and space tourists)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Star Com. Chris HADFIELD (and other ASTRONAUTS, COSMONAUTS and space tourists)
As some may know, Commander Chris Hadfield (CSA) has been a major influence in social media and especially sparking interest in the minds of the younger generations recently. He has done this through youtube, Twitter and Facebook.

This is his #1 video with over 18 million hits, which he requested special permission from David Bowie to create.

If you youtube Chris he has a few experiments and explanations for life aboard the ISS.

This is one. I was going to say one of my favourite, but they are all my favourite, for example there is one where he shows viewers how to go to sleep and he puts on his special, comfy Russian Space PJs.

There are also interesting comments he has, such as on the subject of how peaceful Syria looks from above as it rolls by 15 times a day from the window of the International Space Station and what that concept plays on the psyche of Com. Hadfield.

At this point you might think I'm his personal PR staff, but I haven't even started.

An interesting article about an astronauts worst fear, floating off into space.

This is the book I can't wait to read, being released soon. An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.

Follow him on FB and/or twitter if you have it, he is an enlightening individual to say the least.

I will (or other's can) post interesting tidbits about any space explorers here and the experiments and tasks abroad.

Are there any other Hadfield fans here at TTA, or any fans of other specific 'nauts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
14-10-2013, 11:25 PM
RE: Com. Chris HADFIELD (and other ASTRONAUTS, COSMONAUTS and space tourists)
His last video from space. Just one more PR nudge for you, friends. Heart

Note: I believe that's the Canadarm2 out side the window he is speaking from.

15-10-2013, 01:25 AM
How to Become an Astronaut.

Cuz wiki knows best!
15-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Well, theoretically, I could apply to be an astronaut. I was never a stellar student, so that's a ding against me, but who knows?

The competition is going to be pretty tough. Plenty of people who have great marks from all walks of life try for this. Still you might just find a slot where your specialty is needed, be it an expert in a scientific field, or simply a shaved monkey willing to be strapped into a tin can and shot into space atop a ballistic missile.

It's also still experimental and risky. Federal law requires NASA to have you sign a disclaimer stating that there is no certification process for spacecraft and that you may be killed in the endeavor.

But, hell, if someone offered me a seat aboard a space shuttle flight tomorrow, I'd take it and never look back.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
15-10-2013, 10:47 AM
[Image: HadfieldPortraitW.jpg]

Look at that stitched on flag... Makes me go:

[Image: backpain-1292835351.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
15-10-2013, 10:19 PM
(15-10-2013 10:40 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Well, theoretically, I could apply to be an astronaut. I was never a stellar student, so that's a ding against me, but who knows?

The competition is going to be pretty tough. Plenty of people who have great marks from all walks of life try for this. Still you might just find a slot where your specialty is needed, be it an expert in a scientific field, or simply a shaved monkey willing to be strapped into a tin can and shot into space atop a ballistic missile.

It's also still experimental and risky. Federal law requires NASA to have you sign a disclaimer stating that there is no certification process for spacecraft and that you may be killed in the endeavor.

But, hell, if someone offered me a seat aboard a space shuttle flight tomorrow, I'd take it and never look back.

I imagine they take everything into consideration, it's true, you never know. You might have something skill or physical or something else. For Canada I believe the application is 15, 000 to one for making it to the end, but many are used for other earth-missions.

If you really feel like you'd take a flight tomorrow, maybe you should look into it. Have you thought about it before? To be honest when I was posting that to TTA I thought of you and Logisch, ha ha.

I would too, except I have responsibilities and the only thing I can offer is many many pics, but they seem to have that covered already. Sad
15-10-2013, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2013 12:04 AM by LadyJane.)
(15-10-2013 10:47 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  [Image: HadfieldPortraitW.jpg]

Look at that stitched on flag... Makes me go:

[Image: backpain-1292835351.jpg]

Have you seen the knew $5 bills? I love our new money, SCIENCE! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
15-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Astronaut Karen Nyberg washes her hair.

Science research in space, including how the body reacts in space (to learn more for long term/permanent living space life for humans)

Astronaut Luca Parmitano had too much water in his space suit during a space walk, which puts him at risk for drowning. Houston, we have a problem!

16-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Karen Nyberg looks like one of those troll dolls!

[Image: troll1.jpg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
16-10-2013, 06:27 PM
(15-10-2013 10:19 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(15-10-2013 10:40 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Well, theoretically, I could apply to be an astronaut. I was never a stellar student, so that's a ding against me, but who knows?

I imagine they take everything into consideration, it's true, you never know. You might have something skill or physical or something else. For Canada I believe the application is 15, 000 to one for making it to the end, but many are used for other earth-missions.

If you really feel like you'd take a flight tomorrow, maybe you should look into it. Have you thought about it before? To be honest when I was posting that to TTA I thought of you and Logisch, ha ha.

I would too, except I have responsibilities and the only thing I can offer is many many pics, but they seem to have that covered already. Sad

I had not considered it, LJ, but that does pique my curiosity. I want to become a test pilot via a civilian route, but that's several years and several pilot ratings down the road plus a Masters Degree.

Now with more and more private companies going to manned space flight in the future, there's a good chance they'll need factory test pilots to fly their craft. The Spaceship Company for Virgin Galactic comes to mind and there's a company in Texas privately developing a runway-to-orbit vehicle. Flying these craft plus a new generation of supersonic biz jets on the horizon seem like a great way to spend my weekday hours while earning a decent paycheck on the side.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"