Com. Chris HADFIELD (and other ASTRONAUTS, COSMONAUTS and space tourists)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: Com. Chris HADFIELD (and other ASTRONAUTS, COSMONAUTS and space tourists)
Two fun things:

SkyView

This is an app that uses your camera to see through, when you see something in space on your screen the app will show you what it is and can have a bit of info on the object/item. You can also reverse search something to see in which direction it it is. Good for star gazing! I love this app, it's worth the $.

Spot The Station (NASA)

This is a notification service that can tell via email (internationally) or text (USA only) when the ISS will be right above you so you can look up and see it. It's free to sign up!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
You may view Soyuz launch today!

Soyuz TMA-11M manned spacecraft; launch vehicle: Soyuz FG.

Main crew:
Tyurin, Mikhail Vladimirovich - Commander of Soyuz TMA-11M (Roscosmos);
Rick Mastracchio - Flight Engineer 1 (NASA);
Koichi Wakata - Flight Engineer 2 (JAXA).

Backup crew:
Suraev, Maxim - Commander of Soyuz TMA-11M (Roscosmos);
Reid Wiseman - Flight Engineer 1 (NASA);
Alexander Gersten - Flight Engineer 2 (ESA).

Launch is scheduled for:

08:14 Moscow time, November 7

04:14 UT/GMT, November 7

23:14 US Eastern Standard Time, November 6

You can watch the launch online via NASA TV:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

and

Center for Operation of Space Ground-Based Infrastructure:

http://www.tsenki.com/en/broadcast/broadcast/live2.php
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
09-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm late to post the Olympic Torch space walk today (happened a couple hours ago). Nasa TV is still up with the spacewalk while the cosmonauts preform maintenance (running into some bumps today). Link for LIVE TV is in the article.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/olympic-torc...n50B2hiHUQ
10-11-2013, 05:03 PM
At 3:09 p.m. EST, hatches closed between the International Space Station and Soyuz TMA-09M. Expedition 37 crew members Karen Nyberg, Soyuz Commander Fyodor Yurchikin and Luca Parmitano are preparing to undock at 6:26 p.m. EST.

When the Soyuz spacecraft undocks, Expedition 38 will begin under the command of cosmonaut Oleg Kotov.

NASA Television will air live coverage of undocking beginning at 6 p.m. The deorbit burn is targeted for 8:55 p.m. and will lead to a landing at 9:49 p.m. southeast of Dzhezkazgan in Kazakhstan. NASA TV coverage of deorbit and landing begins at 8:30 p.m. Watch live at http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv.

Deorbit burn and landing is always exciting!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
11-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Ooh, nine today.
http://www.howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
(11-11-2013 06:14 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Ooh, nine today.
http://www.howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/

lol, cool link. It's 6 though, due to the 'nauts leaving that I posted about yesterday. Tongue.

7 billion and counting down here though. Wow!
11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Awwwww yeah!!!!!

Dava Newman, a speaker at this year's TEDWomen event in San Francisco, has spent more than a decade working on a sleeker, better spacesuit for Mars exploration. The MIT aerospace engineering professor's Spiderman-like "BioSuit" will finally make astronauts look sexy, and ensure that they can explore difficult terrain without tripping over the bulk of the nearly 300-pound suit in use today.

SEXY SPACESUIT!

[Image: spacesuit_zpsa9d3d4f8.jpg]
02-04-2014, 10:46 PM
RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

NASA cuts ties with Russia.

Religion and Politics needs to leave science the F alone. Angry Always slowing progress down.

Deep Space Industries need to step it up, make them chase money so they'll chase stars.
02-04-2014, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 11:56 PM by PoolBoyG.)
(02-04-2014 10:46 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

NASA cuts ties with Russia.

Religion and Politics needs to leave science the F alone. Angry Always slowing progress down.

Deep Space Industries need to step it up, make them chase money so they'll chase stars.

As major cooperation goes, this is just for future missions. They're still reliant on Russia for the next few years. And it's easy for officials to later go back on it after all the current chest pounding is forgotten.

My understanding is, that out of the major space agencies (Russia, US, Europe, China), NASA doesn't work with China. So Russia, China, and Europe work together freely, exchanging, and growing, while NASA stagnates. Now NASA has added Russia to the list.

NASA's budget is something like 3 times larger than Russia's. And Russia is not only the only country moving people and equipment to and from space now, but it's been doing it consecutively for decades. Even tourists "just for fun", if they can pay of course.

03-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Yes, and don't forget Canada's small wee contributions. Tongue

All I'm saying is, less time focused on political movements and more on unified scientific advancement, the better. There is already a huge limit to what our potential is, I was having a moment when I read that yesterday. However, upon further though, perhaps a little 'healthy' competition, such as... oh, I don't know, a space race Sleepy might be good.