Combinated religions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Combinated religions
(09-02-2014 08:04 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 07:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  How much do you know about Buddhism?

Whatever you want to ask, just get to the point. Lots of people here seem interested in response tag.

Was the question not clear?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 09:26 PM
(09-02-2014 09:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 08:04 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Whatever you want to ask, just get to the point. Lots of people here seem interested in response tag.

Was the question not clear?

No, WHY are you asking me how much I know about Buddhism? What does it have to do with what you quoted?

See: Response tag already.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
09-02-2014, 09:34 PM
I am asking because your comment seems to indicate that you may not know much at all about Buddhism and/or the teachings of this fellow we call "the Buddha". I am asking what you know about Buddhism. Offering you the benefit of the doubt. Problem?

09-02-2014, 09:39 PM
(09-02-2014 09:34 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I am asking because your comment seems to indicate that you may not know much at all about Buddhism and/or the teachings of this fellow we call "the Buddha". I am asking what you know about Buddhism. Offering you the benefit of the doubt. Problem?

Oh, how does it seem to indicate I don't know much about him?

^_^

Please, just say the EXACT thing you are trying to say instead of dragging things out with a million questions. This sentence is vague as fuck, and reverse psychology isn't going to work on me. I know what I know, and I am confident in it.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
09-02-2014, 09:40 PM
(08-02-2014 08:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm liking your new 'combinated' word.

Can we also have 'amalgamined' religions too?

Smile

I prefer to conversate over annihilastroyed religions! We could use more of those Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
09-02-2014, 09:49 PM
(09-02-2014 09:40 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 08:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm liking your new 'combinated' word.

Can we also have 'amalgamined' religions too?

Smile

I prefer to conversate over annihilastroyed religions! We could use more of those Dodgy

I love audiating when people conversate.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-02-2014, 09:50 PM
(09-02-2014 09:39 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 09:34 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I am asking because your comment seems to indicate that you may not know much at all about Buddhism and/or the teachings of this fellow we call "the Buddha". I am asking what you know about Buddhism. Offering you the benefit of the doubt. Problem?

Oh, how does it seem to indicate I don't know much about him?

^_^

About "Him"? I wasn't asking about what you might know about the person. What do you know about the teachings that are attributed to him? A little? A lot? Nothing?

Quote:Please, just say the EXACT thing you are trying to say instead of dragging things out with a million questions.

There is no "million questions". I'm asking what you know because I refuse to strawman your position out of my own ignorance of your measure of understanding of the teachings we are scrutinizing.

Quote:This sentence is vague as fuck,

"What do you know?" is vague as fuck, really?

Quote: and reverse psychology isn't going to work on me.

I am not clear what you mean by that.

Quote: I know what I know, and I am confident in it.

Okay, so, what do you know?

09-02-2014, 09:56 PM
(09-02-2014 09:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 09:40 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I prefer to conversate over annihilastroyed religions! We could use more of those Dodgy

I love audiating when people conversate.

Y'all keep doing that and yer gonna go blind.

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-02-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry, but you continue to assert that you don't want to strawman my argument, yet you aren't...just making any kind argument. And if there is something in the future of this thread that you *would* somehow strawman, then you *are* playing response tag and not getting to the point.

*pulls out hair*

Besides that, this:
(09-02-2014 12:15 AM)I Wrote:  Not to be argumentative, but there are plenty of things Christians do that Christ would have disagreed with. "The philosophy itself" means very little when philosophies only exist in the human mind.

If the No True Scotsman argument isn't acceptable for Christianity, it is not acceptable for other religions and ideologies either.

Is a valid argument even if someone who had never heard of Buddhism said it. Actually, now that you've given me a reason to stop and consider it more carefully, this applies to any and all religions....exactly the way I worded it.

You need to specifically just SAY exactly WHAT you are trying to argue against the above statement. Otherwise there is no point in us responding to each other.

09-02-2014, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 10:47 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(09-02-2014 10:00 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I'm sorry, but you continue to assert that you don't want to strawman my argument,

Continue? This is the first time I have mentioned it.

Quote: yet you aren't...just making any kind argument.

Correct. I am making in inquiry, not an argument. I am not sure that I was bound by any obligation to present an argument.

Quote: And if there is something in the future of this thread that you *would* somehow strawman, then you *are* playing response tag and not getting to the point.

Forgive me, I have somehow gone through life without ever having been exposed to the idea of "response tag". Might you kindly explain what you mean by that?

Quote:*pulls out hair*

You know, you'll go bald if you keep that up.

Quote:Besides that, this:
(09-02-2014 12:15 AM)I Wrote:  Not to be argumentative, but there are plenty of things Christians do that Christ would have disagreed with. "The philosophy itself" means very little when philosophies only exist in the human mind.

If the No True Scotsman argument isn't acceptable for Christianity, it is not acceptable for other religions and ideologies either.

Is a valid argument even if someone who had never heard of Buddhism said it.

I see (and saw) the point you are making. Yes, it's a valid argument. Yes, in an absolute sense, such a blanket statement may be either a NTS fallacy, or a Black Swan fallacy as well. But that isn't why I asked. But I am not your enemy, I don't want to be your enemy, and I am not trying to put you "on the spot". I am not, as some say around here, "going Taq on you". Can you see this by the way I am addressing you?

Quote:Actually, now that you've given me a reason to stop and consider it more carefully, this applies to any and all religions....exactly the way I worded it.

I see and acknowledge what you are saying here, and I agree to a great extent. Yes, there is always a difference between what a teacher tries to teach and what students learn, which is why some students get A's and some fail, and many fall in between.

Quote:You need to specifically just SAY exactly WHAT you are trying to argue against the above statement. Otherwise there is no point in us responding to each other.

I'm not trying to argue. You have said some things, and I am trying to see where you are coming from: what your understanding of this subject is, how you see it, what you know. I am not your enemy. Like someone said earlier this week, if we fight, they win. I am not interested in fighting with atheists here. Ideally, I see this forum as a place where we can join and stand together, not fall apart alone.