Come join the Church of the Purple Unicorn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Come join the Church of the Purple Unicorn
As i strive to understand how people can believe in astonishing things with little credible evidence, I have come up with a scenario...I call it the church of the purple unicorn...bear with me..

Lets say i approach you, we have been friends/co-workers for a long while, and I am visibly excited. I tell you how I was invited to a meeting, a group called CPU, and they showed me some exciting things, and I wanted to invite you to the next meeting. (no it isnt AMWAY ) So I convince you to come, and you meet a nice group of uber friendly people who give you hearty handshakes and beaming smiles. Once all the pleasantries die down, and some food has been demolished, they start telling you about how an archaeologist had discovered an ancient text in a cave, and it described a purple unicorn that flew across the sky, and farted rainbow sprinkles, bestowing wishes for all those who truly believed. he did this until the non beleivers found him, and killed him, but as the believers stood weeping around his body, it started to glow, and *gasp* rise into the air, and with a whinny and a toss of his tail, he rose into the sky and as he disappeared he said, I will return, and bring you to paradise. These 12 believers were astonished and told everyone the story, they gained followers here and there....people are always drawn to smiles and excitement, and will pretty much believe anything, or pretend to, so they can be part of the group.

Now years later, this secret group has decided to spread the good word to the world, and you can get in on the ground floor! With much fanfare and drama, they whip aside a golden curtain and show you a golden telescope, they reverently beckon you to look into it..."look, and you can see him for yourself"...you look incredulously into it, but alas, dont see anything but the sky. You tell them you dont see anything, they give each other knowing looks and say "ahhh he only shows himself to those who truly believe, think hard about your belief, suspend your doubt, look again" then you get a gathering of folk behind you, slapping you on the back and nodding their heads....you look through the glass again...and even though you dont see anything, you start to think, there must be something to this...maybe I am just not ready yet....but you turn and gasp aloud "oh my unicorn! I see him, and he is glorious!". they all circle you and much merriment happens. they give you a copy of the BOOK OF UNICORN to cherish and study. Be strong, the non believers will question your faith, they are the enemy, and strive to steer you off the course of true enlightenment.

--------------------------------

Now this was totally pulled out of my ( i ) obviously, but there is a valid point I think. Is this how people get sucked into these belief systems? psychologically I mean.. I understand the desire for fellowship, to belong to a group, to be part of something bigger than you....your thoughts? Why do people profess to believe such astonishing things.....with zero proof besides a book and some philosophy of those who were also members of the group? I have always wondered this, I have never felt the need to be in a group, a huge need for belief in something in order to be able to face our basic human fear of death..and the unknown...death will come, and then I will be in final rest as my body rots and my consciousness fails with my last breath...I dont need to clutch a belief of golden roads and condos on the beach in paradise, or 72 virgins if I die as a martyr for Muhammad, or any other reward for believing something that seems so astonishingly hard to believe. The fact that the book is loosely tied to actual historical timelines is just an attempt to make it sound believable. What am I missing? Opinions?

Smartass
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 08:59 AM
RE: Come join the Church of the Purple Unicorn

TTA is one of my churches.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-12-2013, 09:35 AM
(17-12-2013 08:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  

TTA is one of my churches.

nice spin! way to attempt to subjugate a whole new generation by trying to make a myth cool!

Lets look at the faith virus as per Richard Dawkins:

Faith is a group VI reverse transcribing DNA virus that is responsible for the human mental disorder called religion, which is the chronic form of the lesser affliction called gullibility. Symptoms range widely among the diseased and can include headaches, nausea, suggestibility, lack of reason, hallucinations, paranoia, euphoria, depression, and genocidal tendencies. Humans are the only known host of the virus. Other animals may not have the necessary brain capacity for self-delusion.

The "Faith" virus commonly enters the human vessel via the optical and auditory systems. It is then carried via the blood to the brain where it infects the neurons of the cerebral cortex in the region of the frontal lobe. New findings indicate it could also infect the sex glands, the seminiferous tubules (in males) and the ovaries (in females). As a result of this, the ovum and sperm of those people can be infected, allowing the "Faith" virus to be easily carried to the next generation. As well as person to person transfer of the virus, the other major danger is infection via contaminated paper. The "Faith" virus can be harbored for many years on the surface of the paper itself, laying dormant and resurrecting itself at the touch of human flesh. Although paper is the main vector for the virus today, it was once transferred by papyrus, animal skin and clay.

The virus seems to have started out as the archetypal "Faith" virus "Generalis religica"; which begat "Generalis judaica"; which begat "Generalis christianica"; which begat "Generalis catholica" and it's brethren; which begat "Generalis protestantica"; which begat "Generalis puritanica" about the time it was carried away to the Americas; and so on and so on.
Offshoots of these viruses include the more serious genus types of "Fundamentalis"; A species example being "Fundamentalis islamica", a virus type which has recently undergone multiple population explosions.

common symptoms

Suggestibility - This symptom often occurs at the point of contact, weakening the brain and making it easier for the virus to infect its victim. Interestingly, this symptom gradually decreases as the Religion disease itself takes hold, rendering the infected resistant to logical reasoning and in extreme cases impassive to the cries of "Mercy! Mercy!" from those about to be stoned, burned, eaten by dogs, slandered publicly, or if in the U.S. slandered Republicanly.
Paranoia - Sufferers are often convinced someone is watching them.
Delusion/Hallucination - In many instances, delusions start out fairly innocuously, such as attributing a common occurrence to the will of a divine benevolent overlord. Throughout history these attributions have included such things as the rising of the sun, the setting of the sun, the resurrection of his son and the headlines of 'The Sun'. These delusions can quickly progress to the point where people believe they have actually seen this overlord, heard his voice and even drunk the blood of his only child - Jesus.
Lack of reason - Often one of the saddest parts of the Religion disease is the inability of the infected to form simple logical conclusions from everyday data. Examples include the belief of sufferers that they survived, got helped, got maimed, or won an Oscar because an external overlord was watching. Often they point to their debilitating infection as a direct help, saying that to succeed they had to have "Faith" in themselves.
Genocidal tendencies - While not common in itself, in recent years this symptom appears to be on the rise in certain "Faith" sufferers. This has been traced to an increase in the type "fi" form of the virus, "Faith fi" being Fundamentalis islamica. Paradoxically, this has also caused an increase in type "fc" (Fundamentalis christianica). Research shows that these virus types can work together in a positive feedback loop which is as self-sustaining as it is mutually destructive.

Cure:
Until very recently it was thought there was no cure; however, in areas which have had the most exposure to the Faith virus (e.g. Europe) it appears as though some people are finally becoming resistant. Although there are many types of general anti-viral which work on the Faith infection (such as "Bolloxaway" and "Atheismatol"), only one type of anti-viral which specifically targets "Faith" has so far been isolated. It was discovered by renowned biochemist and anti-Faith activist Richard Dawkins and was in fact harvested from his own blood after prolonged exposure to an Anglican Bishop. It seems to work by breaking down the Faith virus and rendering it into a benign mixture of useless parts.
17-12-2013, 10:21 AM
(17-12-2013 08:41 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ..you look incredulously into it, but alas, dont see anything but the sky. You tell them you dont see anything, they give each other knowing looks and say "ahhh he only shows himself to those who truly believe, think hard about your belief, suspend your doubt, look again" then you get a gathering of folk behind you, slapping you on the back and nodding their heads....you look through the glass again...and even though you dont see anything, you start to think, there must be something to this...maybe I am just not ready yet....but you turn and gasp aloud "oh my unicorn! I see him, and he is glorious!".

that red part…..I wouldn't do that except for one reason…..to facilitate a quick exit….easier to agree and escape, then disagree and be trapped in that room with a
bunch of loonies.

For me the story would read ……………...you look through the glass again...and even though you dont see anything, you start to think, these people are nuts, there's nothing here, how do I get the fuck out of here?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
17-12-2013, 10:29 AM
(17-12-2013 10:21 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 08:41 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ..you look incredulously into it, but alas, dont see anything but the sky. You tell them you dont see anything, they give each other knowing looks and say "ahhh he only shows himself to those who truly believe, think hard about your belief, suspend your doubt, look again" then you get a gathering of folk behind you, slapping you on the back and nodding their heads....you look through the glass again...and even though you dont see anything, you start to think, there must be something to this...maybe I am just not ready yet....but you turn and gasp aloud "oh my unicorn! I see him, and he is glorious!".

that red part…..I wouldn't do that except for one reason…..to facilitate a quick exit….easier to agree and escape, then disagree and be trapped in that room with a
bunch of loonies.

For me the story would read ……………...you look through the glass again...and even though you dont see anything, you start to think, these people are nuts, there's nothing here, how do I get the fuck out of here?

ThumbsupBowing That made me laugh out loud, love the wit hehe Thumbsup