Comey fired

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2017, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 02:27 PM by Stevil.)
RE: Comey fired
(12-05-2017 07:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  
Quote:Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 45m45 minutes ago

James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!

What is the difference between this and blackmail?

"The president blackmails the ex-FBI director!" why isn't this the newspaper headline?

It's all coming to a head isn't it?
Trump's presidency can't continue smoothly after this. Something bigly has to happen. Trump must step down because there is no public trust in his presidency, it has become a media circus, an international joke. He cannot continue as president and move forward with a political agenda. The whitehouse has become swamped and bogged down. But of course, if he is guilty of Russian collusion, he cannot step down, he must stay in power and try to obscure and remove the investigation. But he doesn't have the power to stop it.

A big issue with Trump is his ego and pride.
He was compelled to make people believe it was HIS decision to fire Comey. That he wasn't just going off what his staff were requesting he do. Trump has to be the man in charge, not just a puppet doing what his staff say.
He also expressed his jealousy that Comey was getting the lime light. "He's becoming more famous than I am"

His belief that his own words are almost godly to the plebs, is also a downfall of his. Because of his belief he makes many outrageous unsubstantiated claims. He preaches to his own converted but that becomes hugely devisive because the other side don't hang off his words, they criticise them, they demand evidence.

The silly thing is that Trump might actually be personally innocent in the Russian collusion thing (who knows?) but he makes his potential innocence all beside the point. With his instance on calling it fake news and interfering and refusing to get an independent. He shows no interested in discovering the truth, he shows no interest in protecting the USA political system.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
12-05-2017, 02:43 PM
He just wanted to make sure Comey was going to be loyal to the United States...not to him. Riiiight.

Mr. Russia owns me.

He's got such a bad brain.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 1 user Likes Vivian Darkbloom's post
13-05-2017, 05:44 AM
Why do I keep expecting Trump to say, "I am NOT a crook!"? Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
13-05-2017, 06:28 AM
(13-05-2017 05:44 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Why do I keep expecting Trump to say, "I am NOT a crook!"? Consider

Which Nixon only said much later. In these interviews he had with Frost. But Nixon also wasn't as stupid to basically say, nothing to see on the Russian front, so move on. He didn't rub everyone's face into totally being innocent by pointing the incriminating fact out for everyone to see.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
13-05-2017, 07:11 AM
(13-05-2017 06:28 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 05:44 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Why do I keep expecting Trump to say, "I am NOT a crook!"? Consider

Which Nixon only said much later. In these interviews he had with Frost. But Nixon also wasn't as stupid to basically say, nothing to see on the Russian front, so move on. He didn't rub everyone's face into totally being innocent by pointing the incriminating fact out for everyone to see.
This article, and this one, in the Atlantic sum this whole affair up the best in my view.

The TL;DR version: (1) the Comey affair is FAR worse than Watergate, partly because (2) Trump is beyond the reach of any control, even by himself; (3) Comey's firing should concern even Comey haters, because (4) law enforcement mechanisms are the "least tyrant-proof" part of our system, and depends largely on unwritten rules followed by people of good will. And it is precisely those mechanisms Trump is focusing on undermining, through his appointment of Sessions as a loyalist AG, his co-opting and destroying the reputation of the assistant AG, firing the former assistant AG, firing Comey.

Once Trump has his puppet running the FBI just like he has his puppet running the JD, he can harass his enemies in a thousand ways, and he doesn't even have to win in order to win.

It's my view that we are in a constitutional crisis now, and unlike during the Nixon era, when enough Republicans were willing to answer a higher calling than naked will to power, there will be no meaningful independent investigation and certainly to impeachment proceedings unless Democrats gain back a majority in the midterms, or Trump "decompensates" and starts publicly behaving in so obviously irrational / erratic ways that he threatens GOP hegemony.

We are doubly screwed because I don't view Pence as any better than Trump, except in superficial ways. He is heading up the "election fraud investigation" which is really just a sham intended to install more voting restrictions, because the only way conservatives in this country can reliably win anymore at scale is to cheat. So in a way, President Pence would be President Trump without all the obvious alarm bells going off, because, like Nixon, he would at least know how to ACT nominally presidential and normal.

This country got what it deserved in Trump, and those of us who tried to get the only honest candidate for high office in this country in my lifetime elected, get to be pulled down with the rest of you. Thanks, 'Murica!

And no, I'm most certainly not talking about Hillary, in case anyone thinks that, although even Hillary would look good by comparison.
[+] 8 users Like mordant's post
13-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Here's one of the most disturbing images ever... nightmare stuff here folks...

[Image: trump_zpsedjbngzn.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
13-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Spinning toward a crisis.

Quote:“It’s going to be very hard for this president to line the country up in a crisis, because he himself is not reliably steady in how he is talking to the country,” Schake said. “This is the opportunity cost of the president’s reckless tweeting and creating a non-stop sense of melodrama about our domestic politics.”
“By having so many false, misleading statements, what it does is it now makes it hard for members of Congress, and even the judiciary, to trust what this administration says,” said Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.), who sits on the Foreign Affairs Committee. “That is a massive problem when you don’t then have time to react, as in a crisis. If a crisis deals with people outside the United States, you have foreign leaders who now don’t trust the president either.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/13...ent-238345

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
13-05-2017, 08:34 AM
(13-05-2017 07:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Here's one of the most disturbing images ever... nightmare stuff here folks...

Don't think so. All I see is a bleeding heart liberal who wouldn't even get a job as dog catcher by todays Republicans

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
13-05-2017, 11:49 AM
(13-05-2017 08:34 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 07:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Here's one of the most disturbing images ever... nightmare stuff here folks...

Don't think so. All I see is a bleeding heart liberal who wouldn't even get a job as dog catcher by todays Republicans
Yeah remember Nixon established the friggin' EPA that Trump is in the process of "deconstructing".
13-05-2017, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2017 02:01 PM by julep.)
(13-05-2017 11:49 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 08:34 AM)abaris Wrote:  Don't think so. All I see is a bleeding heart liberal who wouldn't even get a job as dog catcher by todays Republicans
Yeah remember Nixon established the friggin' EPA that Trump is in the process of "deconstructing".

And he was behind one of the very first attempts at comprehensive healthcare reform.

I'm with you, this is a perilous moment for our democracy. I'm feeling the danger. I was telling my husband this morning that I had kind of welcomed all of the drama this week with Comey because I'd felt a little bored about politics last week. Then I realized that last week was Comey testifying, more Russian revelations, the House passing its horrible version of the AHCA, and Kushners cashing in in China.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post