Comfort without God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 05:08 AM
RE: Comfort without God
Friedric Nietzche- He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

And to complement that quote:

Douglas Adams- He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.

And to end with a quote from the Big Lebowski-The Dude Abides.

[Image: the-dude-abides.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
08-08-2016, 05:13 AM
Where do I find comfort???

Two words.

Sealy Posturepedic.

Air conditioning also helps.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-08-2016, 05:26 AM
(08-08-2016 05:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Where do I find comfort???

Two words.

Sealy Posturepedic.

Air conditioning also helps.

ob,

Had to Google 'Sealy'. My wife has been on about a new mattress for ages, we have a memory foam one which just remembers uncomfortable positions. No

Totally agree about the AC. The Alfa is the first car we have had with AC and it is so cool. Smile

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
08-08-2016, 05:31 AM
(08-08-2016 05:08 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  [Image: the-dude-abides.jpg]

Inquisition,

Its a good job those shorts aren't any skimpier! Shocking

D.
08-08-2016, 08:36 AM
(08-08-2016 05:31 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 05:08 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  [Image: the-dude-abides.jpg]

Inquisition,

Its a good job those shorts aren't any skimpier! Shocking

D.
hehe, I have some of those Big Grin

Quote:I went to see the doctor of philosophy,
With a poster of Rasputin
And a beard down to his knees.
He never did marry,
Or see a B-grade movie,
He graded my performance
He said he could see through me
I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind,
Got my paper, and I was free.

I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains,
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountains.
There's more than one answer to these questions,
Pointing me in a crooked line--
And the less I seek my source for some definitive,
The closer I am to fine.

RS, that was one of the karaoke songs Saturday, My nieces killed it.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
08-08-2016, 08:46 AM
(08-08-2016 01:56 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Someone once said, “An atheist is a person without an invisible means of support.”

Well EVERYBODY is really, it's just that we've figured that out and can accept it.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
08-08-2016, 09:00 AM
[Image: Group-hug-e1441664007870.jpg]

From Patheos.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
08-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Hmmm...interesting.

I went to a therapist several years back over something quite specific that I was dealing with. As we talked I started remembering things about my childhood that had long been filed away...but obviously not forgotten.

I was struck by something she said to me. She said that I had amazing coping ability and had since I was a very young child. In thinking about it then, since, and now...I have to agree with her.

The question that poses to me is 'are we all born with that ability to cope, to deal?' And if we are, is it swallowed up or tamped down by being taught to only trust a god to take care of things because we are lesser and incapable?

I must ponder this some more. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-08-2016, 02:42 PM
(08-08-2016 09:21 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Hmmm...interesting.

I went to a therapist several years back over something quite specific that I was dealing with. As we talked I started remembering things about my childhood that had long been filed away...but obviously not forgotten.

I was struck by something she said to me. She said that I had amazing coping ability and had since I was a very young child. In thinking about it then, since, and now...I have to agree with her.

The question that poses to me is 'are we all born with that ability to cope, to deal?' And if we are, is it swallowed up or tamped down by being taught to only trust a god to take care of things because we are lesser and incapable?

I must ponder this some more. Consider

Hi Anjele,

Thanks for getting to the meat of the OP.

This "lesser and incapable" idea hits quite a few core points. One is ethical, the question of following rules or deciding for ourselves. Some philosophers argue that following rules is not an ethical process.

Another is self perception. If we are to posit and believe in an omnipotent, supreme, being, then that does leave us hampered somewhat. It is plainly obvious that human beings are not omnipotent, so if we genuinely believe in such a being then it is hard to measure up. We are inevitably subjects, which leads us onto the question of freedom.

Christians tells us that God created us free to reject or accept God. This is not easy without rejecting the entire concept of God, which I think is what atheists usually do. To accept that God does exist, in omnipotence, and still reject God is a more ballsy approach. It is what Dostoevsky describes in 'The Brothers Karamazov', using the Christian problem of evil as a way in. I like it.

Your last point is, I think, about the infantilisation of humanity. The notion of worship does do this to us. Some people like it and some very firmly do not.

Much to think about.

D.
08-08-2016, 02:56 PM
First off the religious aren't getting comforted by their gods, nor are they finding comfort. They are deluding themselves into thinking they have comfort. It's all a big placebo effect.

An atheist, such as myself, derives some measure of comfort from knowing that we tried or there was nothing we could have done to make the situation any better.

Seeing life for what it is, is comforting, to a degree.
We know that there is no need to fear an unknown.
At our time of death, I would imagine that we are more comfortable than our religious counter parts who aren't 100% sure about the end of their lives. I would also imagine they are more stressed than they are comfortable.

Comfort comes from knowing that life is real.
Supernatural thoughts constantly running through your brain and what your response should be, doesn't sound very comforting to me. It sounds like it would be constant noise and imaginary conversations going on non-stop. How could that be called comforting ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results