Comic Con and Picketers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2015, 08:08 AM
RE: Comic Con and Picketers
(18-07-2015 02:01 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Always wanted to go to a comic con. Hoping on getting to FanExpo in Toronto this year, that is if I'm not hungover. Unfortunately, the FanExpo occurs at the same time as the Cyanide and Happiness Banana Bar Crawl. I always plan on going on Sunday but the Bar Crawl is always on the Saturday.
Ya lots of nerds in the Homeschooling Catholic community. If you ever wanted to find someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of Lord of the Rings, find a Catholic. My Seminarian friend is actually doing his masters thesis on the Theology of Tolkien.
I also have a friend who runs a booth at several comic cons. He gets little clay pots and what you do is buy one and smash it with a giant wooden warhammer, my friend makes the treasure sound from Zelda, and inside the pot is a random item. These items are little Iron on badges that say things like "+10 Hp" or "+5 Ice Resistance". My friend said his favourite moment was when Will Weaton came to his booth, smashed a pot and said it was the most fun he has ever had at a comic con.

That All of that sounds AMAZING! A Cyanide and Happiness Bar Crawl. Sign me up!

And tell him good luck with LOTR theist. I know the the Silmarillion is a hard read. I tried once and gave up after the first few pages.

What an innovative idea with the clay pots. I show's he know his market.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Haven't read the entire thread just yet but, I'll get to it. Just needed to say ...

Those fucking Cylons still give me the willies. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-07-2015, 09:22 AM
I have to admit my comics consumption is very specific, often one offs, and usually considered somewhat fringe. Some begin and just stop after a couple or even just one episode. Makes for a lot of uneven and somewhat disconnected fanaticism. I suppose my interests could be considered by some to be "art projects" but a few certainly continue beyond and become full series.

Some of my favorites from ancient days have been: 'The Tick', 'The Wretch', 'Johnny The Homicidal Maniac'... pretty much anything Jonen Vasquez draws including 'Invader Zim' and my all time favorite artist's block project 'I Feel Sick' which I wish he would go back to.

I guess The Tick is pretty famous and The Wretch gets around, making appearences in other people's comics but, the most famous guy I've ever been into is the sentinel of the spaceways: Silver Surfer.

I look for the unusual when I venture into a comic book store and I usually find something. Because of this seemingly random interest, I own a few first editions of somewhat famous comics, a big one being 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'. And thanks to my Japanese girlfriend, I have 'Hello Kitty' crap from the 70s... long before it was even in the US. Yea ... though I'm not all that attached to a lot of it, I tend to keep that stuff in pretty good condition. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-07-2015, 12:00 PM
I've always considered sports fans to be nerds at least as much as the Christians and the actual nerds.

Heads full of statistics. Able to quote what exactly happened in every season, especially the "monumental" events: "Man, that touchdown pass JoeSmith caught in the 1987 Superbowl with only 38 seconds to go in the 4th quarter..."

And Dog help you if you get it wrong when talking about these details to them!

Yet those guys are "cool", in our society. Whatevs. You know what I say? We geeks get all the cool stuff (except women, but even that's changing because more women are becoming geeks!), except for powersports stuff. And as I personally prove, being a motorcyclist, ex-motorcycle-racer, former pilot, and sailboat enthusiast (sort of a powersport... it does have a small kicker motor / maneuvering engine), they're not mutually exclusive.

It's Awesome Being a Nerd:

We get videogames (that nowdays are like movies you can interact with).
We get a real understanding of science, as it's necessary for most of what we talk about/do.
We get to talk about science with friends who don't cringe when we do.
We get mega computer skills from youth, on ever-improving systems.
We get medieval battle re-enactments (with armor!).
We get to dress up as our favorite characters NOT on Halloween.
We get the most imaginative genres of books and graphic novels.
We get huge, badass conventions full of other people like us.
We get to meet our heroes (usually at those conventions).
We get to keep our childhood wonder and imagination skills.
We get to build robots with our friends (and make them fight if we want).
We get to say "I'm an atheist" and others of our kind reply, "Well yeah."
We get to choose careers, based on these hobbies, that pay really well.

Yep, being a nerd is awesome. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-07-2015, 03:31 PM
You guys may have read it but. Preacher is a great comic. Here's the premiss for those that haven't heard of it.

God abandon's heaven. And in doing so a Angel Demon escapes from it cage and attaches it's self with a southern Preacher. Giving him the power of the word of God. Which means anything he says must be done. So he joins up with his Vampire Buddy, and on again off again girlfriend. His goal is to find god and make him answer for all his shit he's done to humans. Because with the new power he wont be able to refuse. A must read.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
18-07-2015, 04:00 PM
I wonder why Christians like them feel like invading a place like that with their crap? I remember seeing a cult of dusty video a year or two ago about him being handed a comic book that basically stated that everyone is evil and there is something wrong with you.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
18-07-2015, 04:24 PM
(18-07-2015 04:00 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I wonder why Christians like them feel like invading a place like that with their crap? I remember seeing a cult of dusty video a year or two ago about him being handed a comic book that basically stated that everyone is evil and there is something wrong with you.

Real simple.

They don't like the competition for imaginary shit..............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Nonono. I mean, sure, they do want a monopoly on that. But if that was their motivation, they'd ONLY be showing up to stuff like that.

I think the thought process was, "hey, newspaper says there's a big gathering in town about... comics? Whatever. LET'S MAKE IT ALL ABOUT US!"
18-07-2015, 04:46 PM
I dunno if y'all know what "Chick Tracts" are, but for those who don't, they're a series of mini-graphic-novel style Bible tracts written by a guy named Jack Chick, a hardcore "gays are out to molest your children" and "D&D will make your children worship satan and kill themselves" kinda Bible Thumper.

Well, his one on D&D was so funny that some guys did an awesome Mystery Science Threatre 3000 -style parody of it. Brilliant. The Dark Dungeons parody is an absolute must read for anyone who'd get RPG jokes.

The hell of it is, these fundies really believe this stuff. They even made the Chick Tract into a Christian movie just last year.

The trailer will give you a good feel for it:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-07-2015, 04:50 PM
(17-07-2015 10:40 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Love these guys so much. My brother-in-law is a member of the 501st Legion.

[Image: Vader_is_lord_t614.jpg?a3ca5463f16dc1145...6025dcea0e]

[Image: th?id=JN.Sd8%2btAgbPzM4K0x5WQ8wwQ&am...mp;amp;P=0]

[Image: tumblr_nn9sdju8LE1qflgwpo4_r1_400.gif]

I now need 2 things! An Imperial Fighter Pilot's outfit, and a sign that says "You don't know the power of the Dark Side"! Thumbsup Laugh out load