Comic book reccomendations.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2012 04:09 PM by FSM_scot.)
As the title suggests I'm looking for more comic book suggestions.
My collection is small but looking to expand it.

I currently have:
The killing Joke (awesome)
Arkham asylum (very artistic but portrays batman as a whiny little bitch who frees the villains???)
The two cyanide and happiness books.
And The walking dead books 1-3 which contain the first 6 volumes (easily as good as the show. I plan to buy the rest.)

Does anyone have any recommendations?.

Preferably not superman (unless its really good). Something about an invincible alien who solves problems by either doing a flying punch or throwing something bores me.

EDIT: I also have Watchmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Do you like the traditional Marvel/DC superheroes or indie stuff?

Be forewarned, I've been out of the comics world for about 6 or 7 years, but I'll share some favorites off the top of my head:

One of my favorite all time indie comics is the original The Tick books. The TV shows were pretty awful, but the originals were great. Some of the funniest comics I've read.

Traditional, you might want to read Knight Fall which was the inspiration for Dark Knight Rises (only more epic).

Emerald Dawn is a pretty good Green Lantern story.

A good Marvel Universe story is Secret Wars. It's where Spidey picked up the alien symbiote (black costume) which later turned into Venom.

Lucradis recommended Preacher and I'm slowly working my way thru that. See my avatar for the cover of the first book. It's really good...if you like violence, and I'm sure you do.
Oh, and another great Vertigo line is the post apocalyptic story Y: The Last Man Standing,

The Walking Dead is supposed to be a great graphic novel. The show is awesome an it was based upon the book.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Edit: Oops. Missed that you said you already have Walking Dead.

Thought of a couple more. Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One are classics. And I haven't read his Sin City, but I hear it's pretty good.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
12-08-2012, 09:15 AM
RE: Comic book reccomendations.
(11-08-2012 10:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Do you like the traditional Marvel/DC superheroes or indie stuff?

Be forewarned, I've been out of the comics world for about 6 or 7 years, but I'll share some favorites off the top of my head:

One of my favourite all time indie comics is the original The Tick books. The TV shows were pretty awful, but the originals were great. Some of the funniest comics I've read.

Traditional, you might want to read Knight Fall which was the inspiration for Dark Knight Rises (only more epic).

Emerald Dawn is a pretty good Green Lantern story.

A good Marvel Universe story is Secret Wars. It's where Spidey picked up the alien symbiote (black costume) which later turned into Venom.

Lucradis recommended Preacher and I'm slowly working my way thru that. See my avatar for the cover of the first book. It's really good...if you like violence, and I'm sure you do.
Oh, and another great Vertigo line is the post apocalyptic story Y: The Last Man Standing,

The Walking Dead is supposed to be a great graphic novel. The show is awesome an it was based upon the book.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Edit: Oops. Missed that you said you already have Walking Dead.

Thought of a couple more. Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One are classics. And I haven't read his Sin City, but I hear it's pretty good.

I'm open to any type, indie or marvel/dc.

I've had a look at The Dark knight returns and year one before, but was unsure if I should get them. I think I will now. If Knight Fall is better than the DKR I will definitely get it.
12-08-2012, 11:26 AM
(12-08-2012 09:15 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I'm open to any type, indie or marvel/dc.

I've had a look at The Dark knight returns and year one before, but was unsure if I should get them. I think I will now. If Knight Fall is better than the DKR I will definitely get it.

It depends on your taste, I guess. Knightfall is a great story in the "regular" Batman universe, with good, but usual art. DKR is a story set in the future with an aged Batman, and all the other superheroes are also getting pretty old. The art is more unusual, but that also makes it a bit more interesting, IMO.

Knightfall
http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/...3-eb89.jpg[Image: batman-492-knightfall-1-dc-comic-book-1993-eb89.jpg]

DKR
[Image: dark-knight-returns.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
12-08-2012, 06:08 PM
When i said DKR i meant the movie not Dark Knight Returns lol.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may be going into town tomorrow so I'll keep an eye out for them.

So that's what your avatar is. I just assumed that's what all pictures of preachers turned atheist looked like Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
12-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Everything Erx said, as he has excellent comic book taste.

Y the last man is very entertaining and it always helped me to remember why the and symbol is called. ampersand.

If you like super heroes then you should look for trades of the ones that interest you, because it's cheaper and easier to read in one lump. Look for Powers, a title by Brian Micheal Bendis about a guy who investigates super hero related things. It's really funny, and interesting. Also it has an ending and is already collected in affordable trades.

If you like dark UK themes, try out HellBlazer. Look for early ones or trades. It's about a guy named John Constantine. A very dark hero, who isn't a very good hero. He is destined for hell and knows it.

Also if you like funny and odd, give Fables a shot. It's about the world filled with characters from old school fables, and how they interact. Big bad wolf is a cop. Its... interesting and has a way of drawing you in.

Walking dead obviously. Not my choice honestly, but some people like it.

Preacher though, is one i cannot recommend enough. Fantastic. Everyone should read at least the cliff notes. Maybe not all of it, as it`s terribly offensive.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
12-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I've been looking some of them up. Preacher sounds interesting, it sounds like the type of thing that at some point has pissed of some Christians. making it worth a look in my opinion Big Grin

Y the last man. There's something about the post apocalypse that is appealing. I think it will be one of the harder books to find, may need to have a look online if I can't find it in town.
13-08-2012, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2012 11:06 AM by FSM_scot.)
Right so per your reccomendation i bought batman year 1, the knightfall one seems to be over two books and isn't cheap so will be looking for it online.

Luc which fable book is worth a look?

They didnt have book one of preacher so again ill be going online.
I also decided to buy the kickass book. As i like the film plus its heavy enough to beat hughsie over the head with to fight off his sexual advances (you guys know hes got a thing for kickass) Tongue

I also got one of the deadpool books i hadn't heard of him untill recently. Read a few bits here and there found it funny. But it was this image on the back cover that sold it for me.
[Image: tumblr_lfjomdonME1qzkrfxo1_r1_500.jpg]
13-08-2012, 11:13 AM
also the sandman is a good series. so
is the amory wars

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 2 users Like Xinoftruden's post
13-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Your country sucks. Try a library or bookstore. Chapters out here is where I got all of my Preacher trades. Plus as much as comic stores don't want you to go somewhere else, they tend to have less sales then a chapters.

For Fables, I only ever read the main series, and I never ended up finishing it due to not wanting to. I fell into an apathy. It wouldn't let me go. There was just some crazy flash of light through my windows.... It's not stormy out. ... .. .. . Sad

Oh and they are making a Deadpool videogame. I love the character. Merc with a mouth.

Sandman is written by Neil Gaiman. WHile I haven't gotten around to reading it, it is reviewed highly and Gaiman kills.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I wrote my first book about atheism! billyinlights 4 90 05-07-2014 12:02 AM
Last Post: CindysRain
  What should I read / book club maybe? Smercury44 6 106 12-06-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A book about contemporary humanism/atheism? Hejhejhej 2 68 13-05-2014 01:43 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  Help identifying a comic?? Escape Artist 8 120 29-04-2014 09:54 PM
Last Post: Escape Artist
  State Book - Louisiana raven48 1 62 15-04-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: wazzel
  All encompassing book about science proplayer44 5 124 17-03-2014 11:23 AM
Last Post: Chas
  TTA Book club (god is not Great) TheBeardedDude 37 1,318 12-02-2014 10:10 PM
Last Post: sporehux