Comic book reccomendations.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2012, 12:46 PM
RE: Comic book reccomendations.
(13-08-2012 11:13 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  also the sandman is a good series. so
is the amory wars

Yes, Sandman is pretty good, though I must say I don't own any copies.

Same with Deadpool. I've only seen the character when he was crossed over with Spidey or Punisher, but he's pretty entertaining.

Oh, speaking of...Punisher. I don't really know of any epic story lines to recommend, but you seem to like shoot 'em up stuff, so you might look for some of his stuff.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-08-2012, 06:03 PM
On the topic of the punisher, the best line to stick with is the one done by Garth Ennis.

He revitalized the character after his Preacher series ended. It was phenomenal. Again he was working with artist Steve Dillon. Those guys are boss. They did a 12 issue stint in the beginning of the reset and then switched over to a different Max version of the series, which means darker and more violent.

Happy hunting. I'm starting to miss the comics world.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
13-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Comic book reccomendations.
(13-08-2012 06:03 PM)lucradis Wrote:  On the topic of the punisher, the best line to stick with is the one done by Garth Ennis.

He revitalized the character after his Preacher series ended. It was phenomenal. Again he was working with artist Steve Dillon. Those guys are boss. They did a 12 issue stint in the beginning of the reset and then switched over to a different Max version of the series, which means darker and more violent.

Happy hunting. I'm starting to miss the comics world.

I know. I was just sitting here thinking I wish I had a few extra ducats to stop at the comic shop.

But of course I have stuff at home I haven't even read yet, including a volume of Preacher. One reason I stopped collecting was because I would buy comics that looked awesome and then they would stack up unread next to the bed. Sometimes I guess I enjoy the journey more than the destination. Other times, not so much.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah I had piles of shit I didn't even like. Though at the time comics were booming and there were new titles every week.

Now the Internet had made it much easier to become prefamiliar with a title before throwing down some cash. Plus the popularity of collected volumes (graphic novels) has made it easier to pay less for more.

Still. I'm poor.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
14-08-2012, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2012 05:22 AM by Filox.)
I'm shaking now... I can't believe you are discussing this. Do you even ... ERX, WTH!! Do I need to explain everything on my own?

I'll start with the normal recommendations. Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi. Brilliant, old history of the SW universe. Such raw power, such great old-school looks... If you like that, continue to follow the timeline. There is one issue before Tales, but I didn't read it yet, it is brand new, but talks about the very first Jedi.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_comics

[Image: swgastpb.jpg]

[Image: Exar+Kun+Two+Blades.jpg]

Y the last man is also great.

Transmetropolitan is something I haven't seen anyone read, but the comic is fan-tastic. Spider Jerusalem with his trusty bowel disruptor, my hero...

[Image: 150324-48312-spider-jerusalem_super.jpg]

And here I come now...

BERSERK!! What do you think, do you HAVE to read this?

[Image: Berserk%203.jpg]

[Image: 11786_berserk.jpg]

[Image: 11775_berserk.jpg]

Now, you can see where Vosur got his avatar...

Big Grin

Trust me on this one, just start reading it, it will all become clear. And you also have 25 episodes of TV show and one movie (anime), the second one is coming out soon.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
14-08-2012, 08:16 AM
I highly recommend the series "Aldebaran", "Betelgeuse" and "Antares".

Realisticly drawn SF series about colonies on other planets, but not the "space-marine-wateland-interplanetary-war" kind.

Philosophical questions, sience and scepticism combined with awesomely designed alien plant and animal life.

Each serie cover 5 to 6 books whitch closes at the end. The Final book is a complete apotheosis (that is a serious anticlimax and un-understandable without reading the first books)

Questions like: what is life
can we handle freedom
what motivates us
what is good government
even questions about religion

[Image: betelgeuze4.jpg]

(I'm just not sure they exist in English. If not you guys are missing out)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
14-08-2012, 08:51 AM
(14-08-2012 05:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  I'm shaking now... I can't believe you are discussing this. Do you even ... ERX, WTH!! Do I need to explain everything on my own?

[Image: 128696868818823332.jpg]

14-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Well at this rate I'm going to end up skint as I like these suggestions.Big Grin

Luc I did go to a book store they have a surprisingly large comic section, the fuckers had damn near everything but book one.
Chances are i would have found it in the comic shop but I don't like it, its too cramped and you can't find anything. And the other one is at the other end of the city centre and I couldn't be arsed walking to it, it was warm and id just walked up a hill...and I'm lazy... Big Grin.

Filox. You know what. I've been a lifelong Starwars fan. And the thought of checking out the comics never even crossed my mind. I had a few of them when I was younger. I have no idea where they are. The same with the few batman comics I had.
14-08-2012, 09:46 PM
So I've just finished reading year one. Was definitely worth reading. They borrowed heavily from it when making the dark knight movie trilogy. Even small things like the set up for a sequel mentioning the joker, using bats to make an escape(batman begins). Taking out an entire swat team(the dark knight) and lots more.

Thumbsup
15-08-2012, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2012 07:49 AM by Vosur.)
A copy of my post in the "Favorite Comics" thread:

Donjon (the English version is called Dungeon)

[Image: 790_2.jpg]

and

The spiffy adventures of McConey

[Image: 691449.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]