Coming Out And Ready To Crawl Back In.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Coming Out And Ready To Crawl Back In.
Several days ago I made the decision to start coming out about my choice to self-identify myself as Atheist in hopes that all my fears were in my head. Unfortunately, not only was I wrong about second guessing myself, but also the reaction has become worse then I imagined it would be.

By identifying myself as an Atheist, I have now become the enemy and will now burn in hell forever. People I was once friends with have walked away while others have made it their life mission to "save my soul". I have been accused of choosing not to believe in God simply because I don't want to follow the laws of God. One person even told me that Satan used my lack of faith to pull me away from God. This makes me sick.

Here is the big kicker that makes so damn angry:

1: I do not use drugs as an Atheist however I did abuse drugs alot when I believed in God.

2: I do not kill

3: I am not having sex outside of marriage

4: I do not steal

5: I treat those around me the way I wish to be treated

How on Earth can these idiots believe that because I do not believe in God, that I have no since of morality. It's like I was saying to one of these idiot Christians the other day. I have stronger morals as an Atheist then I ever did when I was deep into religion simply because I choose to have them. I know that these few moments I have on Earth are all I have so I treat them as though they are special rather then wasting anymore time an energy on someone else's fantasy of reality.

Sorry, I just needed to complain a little. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Doubting Thomas's post
23-06-2014, 11:50 AM
RE: Coming Out And Ready To Crawl Back In.
(23-06-2014 10:42 AM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  I have been accused of choosing not to believe in God simply because I don't want to follow the laws of God. One person even told me that Satan used my lack of faith to pull me away from God. This makes me sick.

They assume that it must be the case, because it makes sense to them. The easiest thing to do in these cases is to blame the ex-believer. The only other possibilities are:
1) God is at fault
2) God doesn't exist
and those are both non-starters in their world. In order to feel good about their belief system, they need to blame you. It's sad, and it's annoying, and it won't change unless they are ready to consider things differently.
[+] 11 users Like RobbyPants's post
23-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Well, DT, it sounds like you need new friends.
Unless these people are willing to accept you the way you are (and your non-beliefs) I'd say they aren't real friends.
RB got it right in his post, too!
It's sad people act in this way Sad

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
23-06-2014, 11:15 PM
(23-06-2014 10:42 AM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  Several days ago I made the decision to start coming out about my choice to self-identify myself as Atheist in hopes that all my fears were in my head. Unfortunately, not only was I wrong about second guessing myself, but also the reaction has become worse then I imagined it would be.

By identifying myself as an Atheist, I have now become the enemy and will now burn in hell forever. People I was once friends with have walked away while others have made it their life mission to "save my soul". I have been accused of choosing not to believe in God simply because I don't want to follow the laws of God. One person even told me that Satan used my lack of faith to pull me away from God. This makes me sick.

Here is the big kicker that makes so damn angry:

1: I do not use drugs as an Atheist however I did abuse drugs alot when I believed in God.

2: I do not kill

3: I am not having sex outside of marriage

4: I do not steal

5: I treat those around me the way I wish to be treated

How on Earth can these idiots believe that because I do not believe in God, that I have no since of morality. It's like I was saying to one of these idiot Christians the other day. I have stronger morals as an Atheist then I ever did when I was deep into religion simply because I choose to have them. I know that these few moments I have on Earth are all I have so I treat them as though they are special rather then wasting anymore time an energy on someone else's fantasy of reality.

Sorry, I just needed to complain a little. Thumbsup

You cannot allow other peoples' delusions to define you.

If you really need to show these delusional people that you as a non-believer can have a sense of morality, just print out the Veludvareyya Sutta, which is attributed to the atheist we know of as "The Buddha", and which espouses a far more comprehensive and totally secular reciprocal ethics than the mere "Golden Rule" that is attributed to the xtian Jeebus-figure:

Veludvareyya Sutta, Discourse to the People of Bamboo Gate

S 55.7

"I will teach you, householders, a Dhamma exposition applicable to oneself. Listen to that and attend closely, I will speak."

"Yes, sir," those brahmin householders of Bamboo Gate replied. The Blessed One said this:

"What, householders, is the Dhamma exposition applicable to oneself?

Here, householders, a noble disciple reflects thus: 'I am one who wishes to live, who does not wish to die; I desire happiness and am averse to suffering. Since I am one who wishes to live, who does not wish to die; who desires happiness and is averse to suffering; if someone were to take my life, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to me. Now if I were to take the life of another -- of one who wishes to live, who does not wish to die, who desires happiness and is averse to suffering--that would not be pleasing and agreeable to the other either. What is displeasing and disagreeable to me is displeasing and disagreeable to the other too. How can I inflict upon another what is displeasing and disagreeable to me?' Having reflected thus, he himself abstains from the destruction of life, exhorts others to abstain from the destruction of life, and speaks in praise of abstinence from the destruction of life. Thus this bodily conduct of his is purified in three respects.

"Again [Furthermore], householders, a noble disciple reflects thus: 'If someone were to take from me what I have not given, that is, to commit theft, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to me. Now if I were to take from another what he has not given, that is, to commit theft, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to the other either. What is displeasing and disagreeable to me is displeasing and disagreeable to the other too. How can I inflict upon another what is displeasing and disagreeable to me?' Having reflected thus, he himself abstains from taking what is not given, exhorts others to abstain from taking what is not given, and speaks in praise of abstinence from taking what is not given. Thus this bodily conduct of his is purified in three respects.

"Again [Furthermore], householders, a noble disciple reflects thus: 'If someone were to commit adultery with my wives, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to me. Now if I were to commit adultery with the wives of another, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to the other either. What is displeasing and disagreeable to me is displeasing and disagreeable to the other too. How can I inflict upon another what is displeasing and disagreeable to me?' Having reflected thus, he himself abstains from sexual misconduct, exhorts others to abstain from sexual misconduct, and speaks in praise of abstinence from sexual misconduct. Thus this bodily conduct of his is purified in three respects.

"Again [Furthermore], householders, a noble disciple reflects thus: 'If someone were to damage my welfare with false speech, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to me. Now if I were to damage the welfare of another with false speech, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to the other either. What is displeasing and disagreeable to me is displeasing and disagreeable to the other too. How can I inflict upon another what is displeasing and disagreeable to me?' Having reflected thus, he himself abstains from false speech, exhorts others to abstain from false speech, and speaks in praise of abstinence from false speech. Thus this verbal conduct of his is purified in three respects.

"Again [Furthermore], householders, a noble disciple reflects thus: 'If someone were to divide me from my friends by divisive speech, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to me. Now if I were to divide another from his friends by divisive speech, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to the other either. What is displeasing and disagreeable to me is displeasing and disagreeable to the other too. How can I inflict upon another what is displeasing and disagreeable to me?' Having reflected thus, he himself abstains from divisive speech, exhorts others to abstain from divisive speech, and speaks in praise of abstinence from divisive speech. ' Thus this verbal conduct of his is purified in three respects.

"Again [Furthermore], householders, a noble disciple reflects thus: 'If someone were to address me with harsh speech, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to me. Now if I were to address another with harsh speech, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to the other either What is displeasing and disagreeable to me is displeasing and disagreeable to the other too. How can I inflict upon another what is displeasing and disagreeable to me?' Having reflected thus, he himself abstains from harsh speech, exhorts others to abstain from harsh speech, and speaks in praise of abstinence from harsh speech. ' Thus this verbal conduct of his is purified in three respects.

"Again [Furthermore], householders, a noble disciple reflects thus: 'If someone were to address me with frivolous speech and idle chatter, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to me. Now if I were to address another with frivolous speech and idle chatter, that would not be pleasing and agreeable to the other either. What is displeasing and disagreeable to me is displeasing and disagreeable to the other too. How can I inflict upon another what is displeasing and disagreeable to me?' Having reflected thus, he himself abstains from idle chatter, exhorts others to abstain from idle chatter, and speaks in praise of abstinence from idle chatter. Thus this verbal conduct of his is purified in three respects."

Of course they will probably refuse to look at it at all, claiming that it's "occult" the "the work of the Debbil"

<sigh>

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
24-06-2014, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 12:36 AM by CleverUsername.)
(23-06-2014 10:42 AM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  I have been accused of choosing not to believe in God simply because I don't want to follow the laws of God.

Sounds like a good time to start researching some of the God's more idiotic "laws". Odds are pretty good that anyone accusing you of not wanting to follow "the laws of God" is either breaking one as they speak, or broke one in recent memory.

"Yeah, you got me. I just can't stand the thought of life without shrimp. Hey, come to think of it, didn't you totally pig out on those last month?"
24-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Damn, so sorry to hear!

With their mindset, you are screwed.

A couple years ago, my cousin posted bible verses on facebook against being gay. I had the audacity to argue with her, and suddenly became satan incarnate, I guess.

Within minutes, a bunch of her christian friends were online, comforting her, and reminding her that these are the "end times", the bible warns about, and I was declared a scoffer. blah, blah, blah

So, our two-way conversation wound up being about 15 to 1.

I heard the next day...........

That she had to take anxiety meds after that, and was up all night, so upset.
Please note that her bashing someone else's lifestyle was acceptable. Rolleyes

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post
24-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

Thumbsup

Carry on.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
24-06-2014, 07:22 AM
There is a difference between agreeing, accepting and outright condemnation, judgement, and bogotry.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
24-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Do like Brian of Nazareth...

"Alright, alright I am demonically possessed... Now FUCK OFF!"

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Just remember, even though you made them uncomfortable you've also made them think. That will always make some people uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable is not always a bad thing. Smile

Don't crawl back in, give it time. It will continue to be better.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post