Coming Out And Ready To Crawl Back In.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 08:30 AM
RE: Coming Out And Ready To Crawl Back In.
(23-06-2014 10:42 AM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  Several days ago I made the decision to start coming out about my choice to self-identify myself as Atheist in hopes that all my fears were in my head. Unfortunately, not only was I wrong about second guessing myself, but also the reaction has become worse then I imagined it would be.

By identifying myself as an Atheist, I have now become the enemy and will now burn in hell forever. People I was once friends with have walked away while others have made it their life mission to "save my soul". I have been accused of choosing not to believe in God simply because I don't want to follow the laws of God. One person even told me that Satan used my lack of faith to pull me away from God. This makes me sick.

Here is the big kicker that makes so damn angry:

1: I do not use drugs as an Atheist however I did abuse drugs alot when I believed in God.

2: I do not kill

3: I am not having sex outside of marriage

4: I do not steal

5: I treat those around me the way I wish to be treated

How on Earth can these idiots believe that because I do not believe in God, that I have no since of morality. It's like I was saying to one of these idiot Christians the other day. I have stronger morals as an Atheist then I ever did when I was deep into religion simply because I choose to have them. I know that these few moments I have on Earth are all I have so I treat them as though they are special rather then wasting anymore time an energy on someone else's fantasy of reality.

Sorry, I just needed to complain a little. Thumbsup

I'm one of those fortunate people that has a family that doesn't bother me about my lack of belief so I can't really relate but.... I think once in my adult life I may have experienced prejudice. I lost a job once and while I'm unsure I suspect it was because of atheism. One time after that I denied my atheism and I felt horrible about it. I felt dirty.
I don't really know what you are going through but I'd suggest to never deny what you are. Do not crawl back into that closet. It's dark in there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
24-06-2014, 10:13 AM
(23-06-2014 10:42 AM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  Several days ago I made the decision to start coming out about my choice to self-identify myself as Atheist in hopes that all my fears were in my head. Unfortunately, not only was I wrong about second guessing myself, but also the reaction has become worse then I imagined it would be.

By identifying myself as an Atheist, I have now become the enemy and will now burn in hell forever. People I was once friends with have walked away while others have made it their life mission to "save my soul". I have been accused of choosing not to believe in God simply because I don't want to follow the laws of God. One person even told me that Satan used my lack of faith to pull me away from God. This makes me sick.

1: I do not use drugs as an Atheist however I did abuse drugs alot when I believed in God.

How on Earth can these idiots believe that because I do not believe in God, that I have no since of morality. It's like I was saying to one of these idiot Christians the other day. I have stronger morals as an Atheist then I ever did when I was deep into religion simply because I choose to have them. I know that these few moments I have on Earth are all I have so I treat them as though they are special rather then wasting anymore time an energy on someone else's fantasy of reality.

Congratulations on finding the courage to come out. It's not easy when you're surrounded by believers. It's a shame that many of your so-called friends have turned away from you or even against you, but that tells you which ones are clearly not your friends and never really have been your friends. You will make new friends. Give it time. Things will get better and you will feel better in the long run for having been true to yourself.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
24-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Thank you all for your support. I guess things could always be worse. The funny thing was is that I never actually set out to come out. It really just kind of happened. I'm not sorry about it. I just wish people could just listen more and really think about what they are saying.
[+] 5 users Like Doubting Thomas's post
24-06-2014, 02:16 PM
(24-06-2014 10:37 AM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  Thank you all for your support. I guess things could always be worse. The funny thing was is that I never actually set out to come out. It really just kind of happened. I'm not sorry about it. I just wish people could just listen more and really think about what they are saying.

That's kinda what happened to me..I hadn't intended to come out as an athiest to my extended family.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-06-2014, 02:33 PM

DT (love your name, BTW),
Welcome to my world. I came out (in limited fashion) to my family in 2009 and had a similar reaction from them. I still deal with it to this day, so unfortunately, I can't promise you that things will get better. All I can say is that it was worth it and welcome to your new family!
Doc
[+] 5 users Like docskeptic's post
24-06-2014, 10:08 PM

I'm glad you are atheist . This realization about the bullshit of religions is a liberation of the mind. You don't need religion to be a moral person. The bible is a pathetic source of morality. Yayveh is a asshole god and the "prophets were assholes too.
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
24-06-2014, 10:39 PM
(24-06-2014 02:33 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  DT (love your name, BTW),
Welcome to my world. I came out (in limited fashion) to my family in 2009 and had a similar reaction from them. I still deal with it to this day, so unfortunately, I can't promise you that things will get better. All I can say is that it was worth it and welcome to your new family!
Doc

The name is kind of ironic isn't it? Especially since Thomas is my last name Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Doubting Thomas's post
24-06-2014, 11:09 PM
I found that at my deconversion, I had the same feeling of newness that one supposedly ought to have had upon becoming "born again!" I'm happy for your newfound freedom, and I'm sorry about your family's reception of it thus far.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
24-06-2014, 11:22 PM
(24-06-2014 10:39 PM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 02:33 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  DT (love your name, BTW),
Doc

The name is kind of ironic isn't it? Especially since Thomas is my last name Laugh out load

If you say your real first name is Doubting, I'm calling bullshit. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
25-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Firstly, big respect for the OP coming out. It's a leap I'm simply willing to make (yet?).

(24-06-2014 12:45 AM)CindysRain Wrote:  A couple years ago, my cousin posted bible verses on facebook against being gay. I had the audacity to argue with her, and suddenly became satan incarnate, I guess.

Within minutes, a bunch of her christian friends were online, comforting her, and reminding her that these are the "end times", the bible warns about, and I was declared a scoffer. blah, blah, blah

I also got into an argument on gays with a girl I didn't know very well. Her argument basically consisted of gays being unbiblical.

So I told her I'm gay (I'm not). Her response was priceless. From being super-attacking, she started to apologizing and hugging me and telling be how bad she felt for being so insensitive.

When I told her later that I was just joking to prove a point, she simply went back to her old ways. I simply cannot understand the reasoning of a Christian. But then again, I was one...
[+] 1 user Likes TheSkeptic's post