Coming Out Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Coming Out Atheist
I'm a recent Atheist. After listening to Seth's pod cast on Coming out Atheist, I kept it in the back of my mind now and in the future of how people would react when I mention I'm an Atheist. So last week after dropping my son at football camp, I decided to visit my old AMVET post I belonged to. Upon moving from a VFW connected organization to a Elks lodge and finding there building entering the bar area, I asked is this were the Amvets meet. They responded yes but they are not part of the Elks bar and I would need to be signed in to stay and have a drink. So one of there members who used to be the bar manager at the old AMVETS post and is now an Elks member signed me in. I proceeded to order a drink and asked about Elks membership. While talking to the bartender, another individual who happened to be a Elks committee member introduced himself and said he would return in a few minutes to speak to me further. I proceeded to acquire more about membership information from the bartender. She explained the fees and process involved then said " Oh You Also Have to have a Belief In God to join and Have Good Morals. She then stated further in detail the procedure for joining which was signing a written oath ,as well as, a verbal oath upon being excepted. I responded to the bartender I cannot join your organization. She asked why which I responded I'm an Atheist. She said she understood then said she was a Christian but believed in evolution which I though was coming from a very confused individual. I suggested she watch on You Tube the video the God Delusion documentary by Richard Dawkins as well as read the book and ask questions about her beliefs. I still did not see the committee member return to talk further with me. I'm assuming the bartender must have communicated with him my Atheist beliefs and he did not want any part my being there. Before leaving I said again this time in front of the person who signed me into the bar I'm sorry I cannot join this organization I'm an Atheist. She was writing something down and upon say Atheist her head jerked up as if to fly off her shoulders. I almost fell apart with laughter. A matter of fact I had to leave immediately to contain myself from rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably. Long story short. I don't need the Elks or any other organization which requires you to have a belief in god to exist in there little world. I'm also proud to be an Atheist and will throw it in anybodies face like it or not. You also can have unbelief in god and have good morals. Stupid organization.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes zee54's post
18-05-2014, 04:15 PM
RE: Coming Out Atheist
welcome to TTA! pull up a chair, pour a drink, jump right in.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
18-05-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: Coming Out Atheist
Hello zee54.

Welcome to the forum.
It's good to have you and your unbelief with us. Yes

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post