"Coming Out Day," was Yesterday

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 09:34 AM by Mr. Boston.)
"Coming Out Day," was Yesterday
The first mention of it I saw online yesterday was on an atheist Facebook page where you could share the meme to let people know you were a safe person to come out to. So I thought the day was about coming out as atheist, as opposed to a sexuality/gender thing.

Just thought I'd ask the folks here, has anyone ever come out to you directly as atheist, or gay, or a Nickelback fan, etc.? Some closet that gave them shame and you helped them open the door? Also - for any gay atheists here, which closet was easier to come out of?

People have come out to me about one thing or another numerous times, but I think they were just telling me - not unleashing the secret to the world for the first time through me or anything. I've never been anyone's first that I know of.

Also, if there isn't already there ought to be a "National Coming Out Atheist Day," or equivalent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 09:43 AM
RE: "Coming Out Day," was Yesterday
I know this delightful young fellow, worked with him for years. he was home schooled fundamental and worked with grass roots youth church groups. I did not work there for a few years, and one day I was visiting and he told me straight up that he was atheist now.
He knew all along that I was atheist, so he was comfortable sharing it with me, but I doubt he kept it much to himself. Still, it was very cool.
12-10-2016, 09:55 AM
There was a guy I was in the military with who had a transgender girlfriend. Nobody knew while he was in, she was quite passable as an attractive female. He didn't come out, per say, but after he left the military and started being more open about it in his posts and stuff I was one of the people from his old life, so to speak, that he opted not to immediately unfriend. I guess that means something lol.

'Murican Canadian
12-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Apart from here in the forum, no.
There are some people who know this and some who know that about me but nobody (including family and excluding my husband and my best friend) knows it all.
I am not making a secret of anything apart the trans. But I am not labelling myself or insist on anything.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
12-10-2016, 08:10 PM
I'm not exactly the coming out too type of person.
I am to dealing with other people's feelings as what Trump is to politics.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
12-10-2016, 08:59 PM
I could handle any of these.... except for the Nickelback one. Those who follow must be taken out of the camp and stoned.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
12-10-2016, 11:37 PM
People tell me everything, I guess I have one of those faces or something. When I was working a very small rural town in central Alberta I worked in a bakery and my views on religion were fairly well known. I always treated my lack of belief as no big deal and would intentionally talk about my atheism in the most matter of fact and plain way I could. Almost everyone over 40 was a theist and to my surprise almost everyone under 25 was an atheist, even if they all didn't self identify as one.

I was the first person my friend told when she realized she was a he and I treated her like a guy without hesitation: by being an irredeemable dudebro (which I am not actually) which helped her adjust. I knew my best friend was pregnant weeeeeks before her boyfriend did. Other than me and her therapist my other friend has told no one about her sexual assault. People tell me things, and I try to be as understanding and supportive as I can, because I've gone through several rough times without any support and I know how badly it sucks.

I've never had anyone say to me "I like Nickleback" though. However I suspect that has more to do with my draw speed being quicker than that sentence is to say. Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.