Coming Out of College, Scared To Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 03:10 AM
Coming Out of College, Scared To Death
I have just another 2 semesters of college left, I swear it's gone by fast. Here I am, getting a Horticulture Associates Degree, living in VA in the good old USA, and I'm scared shitless.

I have no fucking clue where to start after college, even though VA is knowing for their colleges (At least what I've heard, don't quote me I'm not that well knowledgeable out of my small town.). With how the country is looking now, I have no idea what to expect and that scares me.

Being out of college in this time seems like it's going to be a war. I don't know where to go or what to do as a person for a very low middle, teetering to poor family.

Any advice or encouragement. I need a lot after my evangelical family basically kicked all the self confidence out of me for the last 18 years. Confused

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2017, 03:52 AM
RE: Coming Out of College, Scared To Death
Well, you'll have a degree in plants; fortunately for you plants are everywhere. I imagine that you could potentially find a job just about anywhere, provided you didn't mind moving. Although the idea of moving away from your small town sounds like it would be a relief more so than anything else. From landscaping, to nursery management, or the oversight of renewable resources; you probably have a lot of options depending on how you want to go forward.

If you need a breather, look for stuff on the coasts. Things tend to get more progressive the further to the northeast and northwest you can get. Plus, it's not like the rest of us are going anywhere else anytime soon.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-03-2017, 03:58 AM
Come to California!

Personally my first suggestion would be putting some distance between you and those who've abused you. Make no mistake beating the confidence out of you is a HUGE red flag for abuse, coming from someone who's been there before. I'm not saying ditch your family, just put enough space that you can breath, heal, find yourself.

As for the craziness of our current political system, yea its bad, but political situations change as regularly as the tide. Just avoid places like where I live and you shouldn't have to deal with death threats. Above all relax. Stress never did no one any good.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
12-03-2017, 04:04 AM
hmmm, horticulture you say. Consider ... MINDFUL. Seriously if I had a horticulture degree I'd be looking to get in on the ground floor of the weed growing business. Maybe you could get a strain named after you. "Ruby Crystal" sounds like a bestseller to me. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-03-2017, 04:26 AM
(12-03-2017 04:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  hmmm, horticulture you say. Consider ... MINDFUL. Seriously if I had a horticulture degree I'd be looking to get in on the ground floor of the weed growing business. Maybe you could get a strain named after you. "Ruby Crystal" sounds like a bestseller to me. Thumbsup

[Image: 55210922.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
12-03-2017, 05:12 AM
I knew a guy who earned a horticulture degree and spent his first year out of college working a paid internship at Disney World. Lots of diversity in the plant life there and it looked great on his resume. Maybe you can check into things like that at zoos and other tourist attractions. Perhaps there are counselors at the school who can help you out. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Try to find an internship (so that you can take the low or no pay while you are still living at home and don't need as much money). Use your college's career counseling department and talk to your professors as part of your job search.

Also: try not to worry too much about the whole rest of your life. It's a waste of energy. Just focus on one step at a time (in this case, graduating/looking for a job).
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
12-03-2017, 05:29 AM
(12-03-2017 05:22 AM)julep Wrote:  Also: try not to worry too much about the whole rest of your life. It's a waste of energy. Just focus on one step at a time (in this case, graduating/looking for a job).

This is some excellent advice Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-03-2017, 06:55 AM
It's good that you are looking and thinking about this now, as opposed to waiting until you graduate. Thumbsup
12-03-2017, 07:06 AM
My older sister has a master's in horticulture from U of M....

That and 5 bucks gets her a cup of something from Starbucks.. (Dunno what it is, but it's not coffee.)

But she gets by. Hell, her house is even paid for, and that's saying something for somebody living less than 20 minutes from downtown Seattle.

You'll figure it out..

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.