Coming Out of College, Scared To Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 07:25 AM
RE: Coming Out of College, Scared To Death
(12-03-2017 03:58 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Come to California!

Personally my first suggestion would be putting some distance between you and those who've abused you. Make no mistake beating the confidence out of you is a HUGE red flag for abuse, coming from someone who's been there before. I'm not saying ditch your family, just put enough space that you can breath, heal, find yourself.

As for the craziness of our current political system, yea its bad, but political situations change as regularly as the tide. Just avoid places like where I live and you shouldn't have to deal with death threats. Above all relax. Stress never did no one any good.

Agreed, I'm in California too. Places like Napa and Sonoma would be great for your degree. I also like Julep's idea of an internship. I know it's scary and overwhelming coming out of college (I remember that all too well) but you'll figure it all out. It's just another transition in life, one that can be exciting if you let it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Horticulture is a broad field with a lot of options. I'd suggest thinking long term. Find a job you're not qualified for, then plan your short term goals around gaining the experience you'll need to qualify for similar jobs in the future.

Do you by chance speak Spanish?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
12-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Also, if by chance you're not currently tied down by family and/or debt, I'd strongly consider overseas volunteer options in developing countries. That would get you some valuable experience that will be hard to come by once life gets complicated.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
12-03-2017, 11:59 AM
I want to go to Norway if I can, I hear they have near free college!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-03-2017, 04:11 PM
(12-03-2017 07:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Also, if by chance you're not currently tied down by family and/or debt, I'd strongly consider overseas volunteer options in developing countries. That would get you some valuable experience that will be hard to come by once life gets complicated.

I'm not tied down by a lot of things, nothing overly demanding. I've been looking into some things around the country. However my degree might require me to move out west, that tends to be the area most greenhouses and horticulture jobs are. I also know that internship is the best way to go, thing is most of them are near my area or a state away.

As of now I'm saving up for a car and getting my license. (It would be easier if my dad didn't give me a small fear of cars Blush )

I chose Horticulture as when in highschool there are a number of jobs for that degree and it seems from what I've looked up they always need someone to look after plants.

Thanks to everyone for giving me some advice, some things said I never really knew could happen with the degree I am getting. I guess I'm just worried with how it's looking down for graduates.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
12-03-2017, 04:20 PM
If you think its hard being a graduate, imagine what its like for people like me who want an education and don't have access. My field is Computer Science, there's jobs yes, but no one would even look at a resume where the highest level of education is an A.S. (like me), I constantly loose out to B.S. graduates. I could of course go back to doing very dangerous work like I used to do, destroying whats left of my body for far too little pay.

You should value how lucky you are that you were able to go to college at all. For the rest of us, we're pretty much fucked. Unless you like loosing fingers on an oil rig, or picking fruit.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-03-2017, 04:34 PM
(going by memory here) Hydraulic Tongs are in laymen terms about an 8oo pound wrench capable of putting out 2,000 PSI of torque on a pipe. They are suspended by chains at the top of the rig. My job was to hold them out of the way as the pipe was readied, then slam the tongs on the pipe, hopefully the gate closes in front if not don't stick your hand in there to fix it unless you wanna loose a finger. then I'd fire it up nothing keeping that thing from ripping me in half but my bare hands (I don't know if it could literally rip me in half but it could easily kill me). Once the pipe was tight. Pull back, rinse repeat for anywhere from 4 to 12 hours straight with no food, water or breaks (the company I worked for was breaking labor laws, eventually someone sued after I stopped working there, I got a nice check in the mail one day to my surprise). Once you went deep enough with casing pipe, the drill team would come in and make the hole deeper, while they worked you had time to sit in the truck take a nap (if you like sleeping in a pickup) eat and drink, then do it all over again. You're on the job non stop till the job is done, often for 72 hours straight. You're on call so you could get home and get called back out right about the time you're about to fall asleep to head to another job site.

Everything on that site weighs a good ton, everything on that job site will fucking kill you so fast you might not even know you're dead. A welder might spark a well blowing you up, a crane operator might crush you. I mean you do the best you can, I got out with all my fingers and only a bunch of back injuries to show for it (from all the heavy lifting). I got lucky, many don't. But please, understand. The alternative for you could be far worse. You got college, that's an amazing thing worthy of respect. Chin up dude, you earned it.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
12-03-2017, 06:48 PM
(12-03-2017 04:34 PM)JesseB Wrote:  (going by memory here) Hydraulic Tongs are in laymen terms about an 8oo pound wrench capable of putting out 2,000 PSI of torque on a pipe. They are suspended by chains at the top of the rig. My job was to hold them out of the way as the pipe was readied, then slam the tongs on the pipe, hopefully the gate closes in front if not don't stick your hand in there to fix it unless you wanna loose a finger. then I'd fire it up nothing keeping that thing from ripping me in half but my bare hands (I don't know if it could literally rip me in half but it could easily kill me). Once the pipe was tight. Pull back, rinse repeat for anywhere from 4 to 12 hours straight with no food, water or breaks (the company I worked for was breaking labor laws, eventually someone sued after I stopped working there, I got a nice check in the mail one day to my surprise). Once you went deep enough with casing pipe, the drill team would come in and make the hole deeper, while they worked you had time to sit in the truck take a nap (if you like sleeping in a pickup) eat and drink, then do it all over again. You're on the job non stop till the job is done, often for 72 hours straight. You're on call so you could get home and get called back out right about the time you're about to fall asleep to head to another job site.

Everything on that site weighs a good ton, everything on that job site will fucking kill you so fast you might not even know you're dead. A welder might spark a well blowing you up, a crane operator might crush you. I mean you do the best you can, I got out with all my fingers and only a bunch of back injuries to show for it (from all the heavy lifting). I got lucky, many don't. But please, understand. The alternative for you could be far worse. You got college, that's an amazing thing worthy of respect. Chin up dude, you earned it.

That felt good. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-03-2017, 10:09 PM
(12-03-2017 03:10 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I have just another 2 semesters of college left, I swear it's gone by fast. Here I am, getting a Horticulture Associates Degree, living in VA in the good old USA, and I'm scared shitless.

I have no fucking clue where to start after college, even though VA is knowing for their colleges (At least what I've heard, don't quote me I'm not that well knowledgeable out of my small town.). With how the country is looking now, I have no idea what to expect and that scares me.

Being out of college in this time seems like it's going to be a war. I don't know where to go or what to do as a person for a very low middle, teetering to poor family.

Any advice or encouragement. I need a lot after my evangelical family basically kicked all the self confidence out of me for the last 18 years. Confused

Wonderful! Thumbsup An Associates in Horticulture is fantastic.

Consider
Is there anything keeping you from going for a full Bachelors? I mean, besides money? If you are feeling insecure about the future, a Bachelors might open more (and different) doors for you, opportunity wise. Just sayin'.

If you are still able to stay in school and haven't gotten burnt out, why not stay in for another couple of years for the Bachelors and pad your transcript with a few courses you mightn't have thought of?

Comparative religions? Yea, me neither. Dodgy
Maybe delve into an extensive study in an historical period ... Asian influence on the western garden and landscape, perhaps ... or has that been done to death? A photography course? Natural/herbal pharmaceuticals, maybe? An abnormal psychology course ... Internet Trolls - surely by now those fucks have their own abnormal psych category. Dodgy
The thing is, there's nothing wrong with riding out this current administration by furthering your education. Be calm and go with the flow.

Also, if you do choose to take a couple of years to "get your hands dirty" ... as Girly pointed out, hemp is experiencing it's long overdue renaissance. Low and behold, right in the middle of the country, Colorado is booming because of legalized hemp and they do love to give educational grants. You could easily get a grant to explore and perfect vertical farming. Unsure Or some such horticultural thingy.

Ruby C, YOU control the time frames in your life. Be mindful of making commitments to anyone or anything outside of your self. Currently, your life can be flexible - it's a good idea to take this opportunity to enjoy your life and the experiences which may not be had if confined to a 9 to 5, pension-focused job. --- Yes, this is my personal plea for you to have incredible stories for some young person in your future. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-03-2017, 08:42 PM
At least Community College is fairly simple. I tried to take notes for class, often found my professors posted all of it online to read.
That or I walk into class and found that what was being talked about wasn't even part of the subject. Seriously, I walk into English class, he gives us a paper due and goes off on a tangent about some movies he makes. Needless to say I fell asleep but still made the grade.

I try not to fall asleep in class, unless I couldn't sleep. 2 siblings i share a room with and 5 snorers in the house. Sleep is not an easy thing.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin