Coming Out of College, Scared To Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 06:44 AM
RE: Coming Out of College, Scared To Death
I know what you mean, OP. I'm from Virginia also (southwest VA). I went back to college in 2014 and have a couple more years, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I'll have to move to somewhere 'bigger' if I want to actually have a career. Where I'm from, the area lives and breathes on the heels of coal, and if coal mines aren't doing well (and they haven't for quite some time), this place is headed down shit creek. New businesses have been denied from coming in by the old codgers who run the area for whatever reason(s).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2017, 08:51 AM
(12-03-2017 07:25 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed, I'm in California too. Places like Napa and Sonoma would be great for your degree.
But relatively high cost of living. I would be careful to make sure your first job pays enough to cover basic living expenses without excessive daily commute, etc.

See if the Botanical Gardens in Phoenix is hiring. Very affordable living there, beautiful area, nice psychological change of pace.
15-03-2017, 02:41 PM
I understand how you feel. Graduating from college was a scary experience for me as well (still is, as I make my way through life). I also come from a middle income family, with a brother who got married and gave birth to a kid without a solid job or career and now my parents pretty much have to support him. They are also very conservative and I'm gay, so I'm pretty much on my own.

I got a job in my field right out of college and lasted me 2 years. It didn't make me enough money to live on my own, but I got some experience. I got it thanks to a professor, so I would definitely advise talking to your professors and consulting whatever resources your college offers. Also, save up for another more advanced degree in the future.
[+] 1 user Likes IgniteThought's post