Coming back to truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Coming back to truth
So I kinda fell off the map for awhile after my wife discovered that I was looking into the atheist arguments. I decided to re-examine Mormonism (which my wife is currently a member) and also Christianity. I immediately realized that Mormonism was bullshit but I did try to embrace Christianity for the sake of saving the family. I tried and I just couldn't totally dive into it because of everything I had learned from Dawkins, Hitchens, Seth Andrews and Matt Dillahunty. The seed of doubt had been planted and in looking at Christianity again, I could see how their arguments were valid. I have recently realized that in fact religion is bullshit and that their is no supreme being in charge of it all. I am embracing the secular ideas and at 39 years old I have realized that I don't have the time for bullshit anymore. I am an Atheist and if people can't accept that then it's just too bad. I know that this sounds like a rant and it is but I need to get this out. Now for a question.. Would it be a good idea to re-read the bible now that I have a better understanding of what it's all about?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like smitthom624's post
28-04-2016, 10:11 AM
RE: Coming back to truth
Up to you. I have never read it cover to cover myself. Others will post different opinions about it. My gut would be to quote you right here:
Quote: I don't have the time for bullshit anymore
Pick something new. Philosophy, other ancient classics.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
28-04-2016, 10:12 AM
It won't hurt you but there isn't much to be gained from reading it again. There are many books more deserving of your attention.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-04-2016, 12:20 PM
You could read canaanite and babilonian mythology. Read about zoroastrianism and mithraism, also investigate about the origins of the bible. Then read the bible, it will look totally different.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
[+] 1 user Likes Seeking_Truth's post
28-04-2016, 12:33 PM
I would recommend studying all major world religions and world history and how Christianity originally spread as far as it did. I have found in a debate with Christians they lack a full understanding of how it became a popular religion to begin with. They like to say "So many people believe it!" with no concern to the river of blood flowing behind it.

I have read the Bible a few times and I'm glad I did because I can better explain why I don't believe but that's just me. It's like when a theist says they don't accept evolution but they've never researched it and barely understand it. If you feel you already understand Christianity than it's fine but if not it will give you an advantage.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
28-04-2016, 12:37 PM
(28-04-2016 12:33 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I would recommend studying all major world religions and world history and how Christianity originally spread as far as it did. I have found in a debate with Christians they lack a full understanding of how it became a popular religion to begin with. They like to say "So many people believe it!" with no concern to the river of blood flowing behind it.

I have read the Bible a few times and I'm glad I did because I can better explain why I don't believe but that's just me. It's like when a theist says they don't accept evolution but they've never researched it and barely understand it. If you feel you already understand Christianity than it's fine but if not it will give you an advantage.

To be honest, much of the blood in the later centuries was part of economic exploitation as well. YAY western influence eh? Rip em off, exploit them, and here, take this book.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
28-04-2016, 12:47 PM
If you just read here, you will learn a lot about the bible. I haven't read it since I was 10, but I have learned a lot about it here on TTA.

Personally, I think there are so many books out there that are a lot better, that for me, the bible is pretty much a last choice.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
28-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Should you read the Bible? There are pros and cons.

In my opinion, some of it is great literature. But a lot of it isn't. To read it as literature, I would pick and choose. Read Genesis (skipping over the "begats"), the first half of Exodus, Job, and Ecclesiastes. There are some other good parts, but those are the best. In my opinion, the most literary translation is the King James version.

On the other hand, there is a lot of great literature out there that is as good as the best parts of the Bible or better -- more of it than you can read in a lifetime. So if you're interested in literature, don't waste a lot of time on the Bible. On the other other hand, much of the best English literature presumes a certain familiarity with the Bible. Moby-Dick is a great book whether or not you're familiar with Job and Jonah, but you'll get more out of it if you are familiar with those.

If you anticipate arguing/debating with Christians about religion, the more you know about the Bible, the better. In this case, it would be to your advantage to read as much of it as you can stomach. Just be aware that some parts are quite tedious. And it's perfectly acceptable to go through life without ever arguing with Christians about religion.

Like I said, pros and cons. Ideally, I want to read the whole Bible, and I keep trying, but I keep getting distracted from it by other things that are more compelling. Lately I've been reading about Zen and Godel and philosophy, and I'm considering diving into Chapman's translations of Homer (reputed to be better than the BibleBig Grin) next.
28-04-2016, 03:05 PM
(28-04-2016 10:01 AM)smitthom624 Wrote:  Would it be a good idea to re-read the bible now that I have a better understanding of what it's all about?

It's up to you. The question is whether or not you think it would be interesting. It's just a book. If you want to read it, go ahead. If not, you don't have to force yourself to do so.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
28-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Are you planning on debating theists? If so, a knowledge of the Bible is helpful. If you're not planning on debates, then rereading the Bible would be optional IMO. Lots of interesting/horrifying stories in there.